PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the invintation!

kf4jqd
04-19-2010, 04:24 AM
I was invited by Bob NA4BH to come here. Thanks Bob! I am a misfit ham. I will not or ever will be a member of the ARRL. I disagree too much what they have to say. I quit being a member of any ham club. Ham Radio is ONLY a hobby. I want to stay away from the politics. Speaking about politics, I do like to talk about it on the air.

Besides Ham Radio, which actually is my 2nd hobby. I love trains. I wold rather go to a model railroad convention than a hamfest! However, in my modeling, there is a house that has a tower with a beam and a dipole on the layout! My favorite railroad is the Rock Island Line. I have more invested in my model trains than I do in ham radio station!

I do have HF-UHF abilities. I love to talk about trains and our state of affairs. Those who try to control me, really gets under my skin.

Thanks for listening to my rant. 73 and have a good day,
Andy KF4JQD

W5IEI
04-19-2010, 05:04 AM
Good to see you Andy,Welcome.
Mike

N8YX
04-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Welcome, Andy.

I used to be into model railroading years ago...right before I discovered SWLing, amateur/CB radio and all the other neat RF-based aspects of the electronics hobby. When I took a look around at what people are doing these days with cab control, CTC and the like I was stunned...it's a far cry from the time of simple block switching!

PA5COR
04-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Welcome Andy! :cheers:

We have a large section of P.J here, no tight *ssed moderators that have a God complex too :mrgreen:

Just have fun here, we do, enjoy the Island and the drinks :cheers:

NA4BH
04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Welcome Andy. Glad you caught a boat to the Island before the other place sinks. It is a different World here, laid back easy going and we have one hell of a bartender. It's about time for happy hour, which lasts 24 hours a day. Not available in SECTOR R.

kb2vxa
04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Welcome fatass. (;->) You'll find a few misfit railfans here too and you just met one of them. Speaking of the CRI&P, who put the toll gate in New Orleans when the tracks never went there and what engineer would stop and pay for pig iron even if they did?

kf4jqd
04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I enjoy my freedoms and wish to talk and tell stories to others.

In the world of modeling, there is the fairly new Direct Demand Control. This allows many locomotives on the same track with the SAME electrical block! I have G,O,HO, and N scales. A friend of mine is adding DCC and sound to his N scale locomotives. Can you believe that? I got my electronic start in model railroading. Then went to CB and into Ham Radio. The circle has been complete for 10 years now, I'm back into model railroading.

I am on Facebook. Eric Cartman is my hero!

Andy KF4JQD

KG4CGC
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome to The Island, Andy.
Make your way on down to the bar at the end of the pier and grab a deck chair and a line. The mahi are biting and the breezes are warm.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/stockedbar.jpg

N8YX
04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
I used to scratch-build my own rolling stock and structures in HO gauge. Had a German friend/CB crony/retired engineer local to my area who was an absolute master with a miniature lathe and milling machine. Built all his own steam locomotives and freight consist, but never did do the 'layout' bit. I wonder what happened to all of his stuff.

W3WN
04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Welcome, Andy!
--------------------
I dabbled a little with O and HO trains when I was younger, and into my teenage years. Two things killed my interest off... the first was when the family moved from NJ to PA, and I lost my layout, had no space for a new one, an a few boxes got lost in transit (and the insurance didn't pay off, which is a 'whole 'nother story)

The second was that my younger brother got involved with a hobby shop, and somehow all of MY rolling stock disappeared. So did his, for that matter. I don't know what the full story was, but when I finally got fed up about it (as my last engine vanished), he'd gotten kicked out of the store for good and they were claiming he owed them. I don't know if he got snookered or what, but I paid the price for it.

Oh, there was a third reason as well. New home was up the street from a tourist steam RR, got involved with that for awhile. Playing with the real thing (even if I did just stand in the tender and shovel coal down to the engineer & fireman) was a lot more fun than models!

N4VGB
04-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Vonore??? Oh yeah, go to Sweetwater and turn East, when you drop off the edge of the earth you're in Vonore. :rofl:

Just yanking your chain Andy, I live in the boondocks of Apison myself. Go to Chattanooga and turn East, when you drop off the edge of the earth you're in Apison. :rofl: When Chattanooga isn't even trying to annex your butt, you know you in the sticks around here! :rofl:

K7SGJ
04-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the Island. I'm kinda new here myself. I'm still not used to not having any of my posts deleted, threads locked, or general moderation agravation. Who knew?

Step up to the bar for a bit of Courvoisier, my treat. Yo Charles....................a round for the house, and pour yourself one, too. Keep the change.
eddie

KG4CGC
04-20-2010, 09:09 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/acomposizione_v_bis-def.jpg

K7SGJ
04-20-2010, 11:20 PM
You, Sir, are THE man!!!

KA5PIU
04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Hello.

I was never that excited about the models, I also worked on the real thing.
Amateur Radio is just a hobby with me, fun but my world does not revolve around it.
I do not understand why some hams get so upset when CB is brought up, as long as you run your CB legit I could care less, I run both, as well as GMRS.
Politics? Democratic bagman.
I disagree with Karol Madera, VE7KFM, but do feel that he has his opinion, Industry Canada not withstanding.
So, who knows, perhaps I am in Sector R?

suddenseer
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Welcome Andy! I am new here too. You really have to try hard to banned here. It has happened to others here since I joined. The admins, and moderators are very fair. It usually only gets heated in the forbidden zone. This is the best collection of hams I have ever seen, really :yes:

My best childhood memories is my model trains (ho scale). I even had the engines that smoked. I remember the smell of the controller. The sparks, and sounds. It is one of the ZEN hobbies.

KG4CGC
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Welcome Andy! I am new here too. You really have to try hard to banned here. It has happened to others here since I joined. The admins, and moderators are very fair. It usually only gets heated in the forbidden zone. This is the best collection of hams I have ever seen, really :yes:

My best childhood memories is my model trains (ho scale). I even had the engines that smoked. I remember the smell of the controller. The sparks, and sounds. It is one of the ZEN hobbies.
WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
???
Hos and smoking?

W3WN
04-22-2010, 11:05 PM

WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
???
Hos and smoking?
I know Lionel had a "smoking" O scale engine (either a tablet or drops of a special oil were put in the smokestack) starting post WW2. I remember ads for "smoking" engines when I was a kid, and never mind when that was, but I don't recall what scale.

It's not hard to imagine that if they could do it for "O" they could do it for "HO"

Hell, Lionel tried to sell us box cars that could launch missiles and aircraft (realistic, right?) so why not?

suddenseer
04-23-2010, 06:37 PM

WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
???
Hos and smoking?

The best part: the ho's & smoking was introduced by my Dad, and I was only 8 years old! That would be local tv news fodder these days.

suddenseer
04-23-2010, 06:48 PM

WHAT
WHAT
WHAT
???
Hos and smoking?
I know Lionel had a "smoking" O scale engine (either a tablet or drops of a special oil were put in the smokestack) starting post WW2. I remember ads for "smoking" engines when I was a kid, and never mind when that was, but I don't recall what scale.

It's not hard to imagine that if they could do it for "O" they could do it for "HO"

Hell, Lionel tried to sell us box cars that could launch missiles and aircraft (realistic, right?) so why not?

I called my dad today to confirm it was HO scale. The smoke came from an oil and it stunk. I think you had to place cotton in a chamber, added the oil. You had to really look for the "smoke". Most of my friends had the larger scale trains and that was what I wanted. You know, bigger is better. I did not understand the HO scale was "better" as told by my Dad. He was a CBer too :chin: :chin: hhmmmmmmm

kf4jqd
04-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I do live very close to Ten Tec. Hope to get to their ham fest again this year. I do live my trains. I also have engines that smokes. Back in October, I bought Lionel's Polar Express. I'm not talking about that cheap crap that Target sold. The very heavy metal-electric one from Lionel that smokes and has digital sound! I have 5 HO locomotives that smokes, and 3 G scale locomotives that smokes. This engineer doesn't smoke! lol

10 and 6m was open last night. We are suppose to get some bad weather today. Maybe I'll get someone mad with me on a repeater. That is an easy job. All I have to do is give my call sign! lol

Have a good weekend,
Andy KF4JQD