PDA

View Full Version : No more linux on PS3's

W1GUH
04-13-2010, 07:54 AM
Can't get a linke cuz the browser here doesn't go to sites with the word "game" anywhere, but if you google ps3 linux the sites will come right up.

The lastest update, 3.21, gives you a choice. You can either keep linux and not be able to play new games or watch new Blu-Ray discs, or you can upgrade and wipe out linux. And, the update screens make this very clear, so at least you won't do something bad by accident.

But truth be told, I wasn't all that impressed with the performance or functionality -- my PC did better in both regards, but geez, Sony was a little hard-nosed about it. Well, it was a fun exercise AND I learned how easy it is to upgrade the hard disk on a PS3 -- much easier than on a PC.

n2ize
04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Here's a link to an article that basically sums it up. The firmware upgrade disables the "other os" options. When are these companies going to get their heads out of their asses and realize it's not 1995 anymore...when Linux was an obscure OS that most people never heard of.

As far as I'm concerned this upgrade breaks the PS3. If I can't run Linux and at the same time have all the features( as it apparently did before the firmware upgrade) the PS3 has to offer then it is a broken/crippled system.

Glad I didn't buy one only to turn around and find it crippled by SONY. Then again I seriously question the overall integrity of SONY. Weren't they the ones that put trojans on peoples computers in the name of "Digital Rights Management" ?

KG4CGC
04-22-2010, 09:08 AM
FUCK SONY!