PDA

View Full Version : WOUXUN HT? Did I make a regrettable purchase??

kb1jcy
04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I bought one of those cheap HTs off of eBay. Did I make a bad judgment call?

K7SGJ
04-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Did it come with the English converter?

kb1jcy
04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Did it come with the English converter?
Can you elaborate?

KG4CGC
04-09-2010, 12:00 AM
I believe Tom, ECI may be the man to ask :)

PA5COR
04-09-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm using one for the last 1/2 year regularly on the business fairs and privately.
Cheap, sturdy, excellent reception, and with the 1300 mA or the larger 1700 mA battery opack will last quite long.
Easy programmable, use the USB programing cable, and any Kenwood or original speaker phone, 2 prong, 3 connector type.
;)

KB3LAZ
04-09-2010, 05:24 AM
I had one. Got it for like 40$ was worth that much.

X-Rated
04-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Wouxun is the high end Chinese radio. Puxing is also considered up there.

I guess it is personal preference. If you like the functionality at a really low price, they are hard to beat. But they lack a lot of pizazz that the Japanese radios have. But you are not getting a really fancy Japanese radio there. It is better than an FRS but not as good as a Yaesu.

Wouxun also has some dual banders with 2 meters on them. They have one with 222 and one with 450. I have been thinking about the 222 being a really cheap way of getting on that band.

KB3LAZ
04-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Bah 2m FM don't need pizazz.

KA5PIU
04-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Hello.

I bought 2 differing models/brands.
The Surecom TG-UV as well as the Wouxun KG-UVD1P.
The Surecom has a Far better receiver.
I did the mod to put them down to 390 MHz and both do very well there.
Testing on GMRS in receive the Surecom wins.
In the 430 to 450 MHz range both work well, leaving me to think that the Wouxun is just a bit less broad banded.
In the 2 meter band they are both neck and neck.
For reliability, the Wouxun was run over by a bulldozer.
The plastic rails and snap that keeps the battery together has broken and of course the thing is totally scratched up but still works.
This was in soft dirt.
What happened was the superintendent put the radio on the track for the operator but the operator was not told.

KC9ECI
04-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I just got a KG-UVD1P and a Puxing PX-2R a few days ago. So far I'm liking both. The Wouxun programmed up quick enough with the cable I already had for the TK-2170's and I really like the dual watch. The flashlight isn't much but I can see where it might be handy from time to time. The FM radio is about worthless a far as I can tell. I have a little Yaesu 70CM HT and I've never been able to hit the one repeater in La Crosse that I wanted to with it and I was able to hold a conversation on it with the Wouxun.

The PX-2R, is about the same size as one of the little Yaesu VX-2 and only cost $47 shipped to my door. Again, programs up easily and does what it says it does. Nice little pocket rig to take along when you're out and about. I like that it uses a standard Nokia cell phone batter and can be charged from the USB port on your computer. Messing around and comparing them on air, the guy I was talking to did say I sounded better on the Wouxun than the Puxing.

For the price I think a fair purchase.

KB3LAZ
04-11-2010, 10:54 PM
The one I had I gave to my cousin when he got his ticket. There was one thing that was a pain that I forgot to mention. The local 2m repeater has a 1mhz split and it was a bitch to program without the cable but only the first time lol.

kb1jcy
04-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Mine arrived a week ago. What's the consensus on the legality of this radio on the amateur bands?

KJ3N
04-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Who needs 2m FM? :sleep:

N8YX
04-30-2010, 05:18 AM
IBTSS (In Before The Sh!t Storm) ... :whistle

KB3LAZ
04-30-2010, 05:31 AM

Not me. When I work 2m it is about 50/50 AM/SSB

PA5COR
04-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Had a few Wouxun KG UVD1's on the Rohde and Schwartz spectrum analyzer.
Fully compliant with the EU Norm and so accepted for ham radio use.
More sensitive as my Icom Q7 or Kenwood TH F7E.
The 1700 MA battery lasts lots longer as the Kenwood too.

It now is my main handheld for when i need a portable radio.

Use the programming cable, for us it's no problem to use it widebanded, and have it on 2/70 and our EU version of business radio, it just has to comply with the norm in surpression of harmonics and other unwanted emissions.
Which it did, measured on the R&S spectrum analizer.

Good enough for me. ;)