PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok, last night, I heard a broadcast AM station on 1.860. The actual station is 930AM. Tonight, I hear them there, and on 2.789, and at 2.830... I'm assuming these are second and third harmonics.

Is it my radio's front end being overloaded (The station is a clear-channel AM station, about 15 miles away I think), or do they have a serious problem?

KG4CGC
04-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Ok, last night, I heard a broadcast AM station on 1.860. The actual station is 930AM. Tonight, I hear them there, and on 2.789, and at 2.830... I'm assuming these are second and third harmonics.

Is it my radio's front end being overloaded (The station is a clear-channel AM station, about 15 miles away I think), or do they have a serious problem?
That is what it sounds like.

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 08:07 PM

That is what it sounds like.

Which one? I have a problem, or they have a problem?

KG4CGC
04-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Hard to tell. I don't really know but ground conductivity was the first thing to pop in my head. Could the station have changed something?

kb2vxa
04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
1.860 and 2.790 are the second and third harmonics of WBEN alright but where did that oddball 40KHz up come from? I would try to locate the broadcast group's engineer and report my findings just to save them a lot of headaches since they can be heard at a considerable distance.

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
1.860 and 2.790 are the second and third harmonics of WBEN alright but where did that oddball 40KHz up come from? I would try to locate the broadcast group's engineer and report my findings just to save them a lot of headaches since they can be heard at a considerable distance.

Ok, so you hear it too then?

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, just got done conversing with their previous station engineer. WBEN doesn't have a competent RF engineer yet to replace the previous one :naughty:

Seeing who to call to let them know. They are all over the place (As far up as 3MHz right now!), and the prior engineer let me know that their DX-10 is probably not tuned, and when it isn't, spurts harmonics all over the place.

kf0rt
04-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Does that mean Kelli's full time in real-estate now?

Curious minds, and all that...

KC2UGV
04-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Does that mean Kelli's full time in real-estate now?

Curious minds, and all that...

I think so. I'll ask.

N9FE
04-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Sucks living close to a broadcast station. You'll get artifacts all over the place..

kb2vxa
04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
"Well, just got done conversing with their previous station engineer.... Seeing who to call to let them know."

So why didn't you ask? If nobody else I'd contact the general manager and explain in simple terms for simple minds what you are observing and the consequences should the FCC catch wind of it. Oh it gets MUCH worse if they act on an interference complaint so in the words of Leonard McCoy "Spock, DO SOMETHING!" http://www.wben.com/Contact-WBEN/2258604

As an aside, I don't suspect a transmitter fault since output networks, phasers and ATUs greatly attenuate harmonics and spurs. Rather the likely culprit is a bad tower feed or ground connection at a tower, things come undone and strange things happen like Kelli's fireworks over at WWKB.

KC2UGV
04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
"Well, just got done conversing with their previous station engineer.... Seeing who to call to let them know."

So why didn't you ask? If nobody else I'd contact the general manager and explain in simple terms for simple minds what you are observing and the consequences should the FCC catch wind of it. Oh it gets MUCH worse if they act on an interference complaint so in the words of Leonard McCoy "Spock, DO SOMETHING!" http://www.wben.com/Contact-WBEN/2258604

As an aside, I don't suspect a transmitter fault since output networks, phasers and ATUs greatly attenuate harmonics and spurs. Rather the likely culprit is a bad tower feed or ground connection at a tower, things come undone and strange things happen like Kelli's fireworks over at WWKB.

Well, I sent an email query off to the program director, letting them know what was occurring. And the previous engineer was also kind enough to call someone they know to let them know as well :)

But yeah, I'd think I agree with what you're saying there. WWKB and WBEN are at the same site, if I am not mistaken.

X-Rated
04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Harmonics are strictly an issue of the broadcast station. The other one my be anyone's issue at 2830. If you have a signal generator to send a small signal at 930, 1860 and 2790kHz, you can listen at 2830 and see if you hear anything. If not, it's not your problem and you can complain to the radio station.