PDA

View Full Version : How do deal with a neighbor who is a ham

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Well, not really a neighbor, but my landlord/downstairs neighbor.

He's a ham too. No, we're not fighting over antenna placement, and so far, no issues, but I figure I have to ask:

If both are on HF, with antennas on the roof, how do you get around things like intermod and the like? Will the antennas being so close cause intermod to both of us? Or, am I just worrying to much?

W3WN
04-06-2010, 09:54 AM

He's a ham too. No, we're not fighting over antenna placement, and so far, no issues, but I figure I have to ask:

If both are on HF, with antennas on the roof, how do you get around things like intermod and the like? Will the antennas being so close cause intermod to both of us? Or, am I just worrying to much?
Insufficient data.

A lot will depend on what bands/modes you happen to both be operating on at the same time, how close or far apart the antennas are, what radios are in use... in other words, you may have no problems or you may have a big problem.

For example, one year during the Pa QSO party, K3VX & I operated his IC-706 from one cabin under the club call, and W3WH operated his Argonaut V from the adjacent cabin (we were operating from a state park). Our antennas were basically co-mingled.

More often than not, Bill hardly knew when we were QRV. Larry & I always knew when Bill was. The '706 couldn't handle a nearby 5 W signal, the Argo V could ignore a 100 W signal.

If possible, why not set up a joint shack with your landlord? Might be the best of both worlds, if he is agreeable and it is physically possible.

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Ah, I see. So far, we've nod had any issues, but with the addition of my HF rig at 50W or so, it was trying to forestall issues.

For what it's worth, our antennas are on opposite ends of the house. I got my FT840, and he's using an Icom 746. He's a tech, so only 10M HF for him (until I motivate him enough to go test out).

KG4CGC
04-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Insufficient data.

A lot will depend on what bands/modes you happen to both be operating on at the same time, how close or far apart the antennas are, what radios are in use... in other words, you may have no problems or you may have a big problem.

For example, one year during the Pa QSO party, K3VX & I operated his IC-706 from one cabin under the club call, and W3WH operated his Argonaut V from the adjacent cabin (we were operating from a state park). Our antennas were basically co-mingled.

More often than not, Bill hardly knew when we were QRV. Larry & I always knew when Bill was. The '706 couldn't handle a nearby 5 W signal, the Argo V could ignore a 100 W signal.

If possible, why not set up a joint shack with your landlord? Might be the best of both worlds, if he is agreeable and it is physically possible.
Antennas co-mingled?
Now THAT ... is Hamsexy!

w3bny
04-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Ah, I see. So far, we've nod had any issues, but with the addition of my HF rig at 50W or so, it was trying to forestall issues.

For what it's worth, our antennas are on opposite ends of the house. I got my FT840, and he's using an Icom 746. He's a tech, so only 10M HF for him (until I motivate him enough to go test out).

Only a tech?!??! Problem solved...Stay off 10m and use the rest of your license. Or just drop a maul on him and go for the lulz! :spin:

N8YX
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
You both need to equip your shacks with gear that possesses relatively high IP3. Keep noise blankers "off" as much as possible - and if the rig is so equipped, turn its internal preamplifier off.

The 'RF pollution' situation is similar to that which is encountered with a multi-multi contest station. Switchable bandpass filters (like the setups shown below) will help alleviate close-in de-sense:

http://www.dunestar.com/OPEN600.JPG

http://www.dunestar.com/model600.htm

http://www.arraysolutions.com/images/PJ2T_FM6&BPFs.jpg

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/wx0bbpf6.htm

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Appreciate the replies, to one and all :) I'll have to start looking it all over, including the dual-use shack :)

I never realized NB off would be the right thing to do. First thing I would reach for is the Noise Blanker :oops:

w2amr
04-06-2010, 03:59 PM
QRP is your friend grasshopper, And it's fun!

KG4CGC
04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Wise words from the King of AM QRO and the Big Beat.

KJ3N
04-06-2010, 09:02 PM
"Life is too short for QRP." :neener: :stirpot: :snicker:

w2amr
04-07-2010, 02:41 AM
I used to do a lot of SSB and CW QRP with an old Argonaut. And I spent a lot of time on 10 AM with a converted CB rig and a Heath 10er. But that was back when we had sun spots.

kb2vxa
04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
"Wise words from the King of AM QRO and the Big Beat."
Ah, but there is only one King of Gangstas and AM God hurling bolts of RF from atop HLR Mountain. All AM gangstas kneel before your king! <burp>

N8YX
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Ah, but there is only one King of Gangstas and AM God hurling bolts of RF from atop HLR Mountain. All AM gangstas kneel before your king! <burp>
Don from KY would have you believe he's on equal footing with Aitch-Yell-Arrr...

X-Rated
04-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Comes out of the Joisey Swamps.

w2amr
04-07-2010, 02:32 PM
:rofl: Love it.

w2amr
04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Don from KY would have you believe he's on equal footing with Aitch-Yell-Arrr...
Don has been around a loooooooooooog time.