PDA

View Full Version : online test

VE7MGF
04-05-2010, 08:45 PM
hay guess what i passes my general online test-no time spent studding had to guess the answers on band plan down south surprisingly only a couple questions on operating practice no questions on figuring frequency of antennas
no wonder there is lots of newbe questions like how to build a antenna -what is the best
wire antenna to buy ect ect :stirpot:

N8YX
04-06-2010, 07:27 AM
And here's a good example of why you should study the material rather than memorize the questions. Visit the linque, plug the call sign into the look-up feature and read the description:

http://forums.qrz.com/showpost.php?p=1907926&postcount=1

That's correct...all knobs to the RIGHT if you can't get out. :whistle

N8YX
04-06-2010, 07:30 AM
The following has "epic potential". 'DSG would flat-out tell her to stuff the 'pink radios':

http://www.pnwham.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15

VE7MGF
04-06-2010, 08:51 AM
hey whats wrong with memorizing all the questions you know all the answers but
dont know what the hell they mean :wall:
now pink radios that something else just think of the resale value and the anti theft
deterrent

N8YX
04-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Nothing...as long as you don't leave your "education" at that point, which evidently is the intent of the linkee.

Always easier to apologize for one's shortcomings that it is to rectify them. I've often run into that mindset in "real life" (on the air).

The girl probably lacks even the most basic knowledge of how a tube-type power amplifier works, yet her license class authorizes her to use said device at a maximum of 1500w PEP on every amateur band where such power is allowed.

Remember what I said about 'all knobs to the right'? I'll bet money it'll happen in such a circumstance, and the sad part is that newly-licensed, inexperienced people aren't learning about the potential ramifications thereof.

Yes, that level of theory used to be included in the tests.

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Nothing...as long as you don't leave your "education" at that point, which evidently is the intent of the linkee.

Always easier to apologize for one's shortcomings that it is to rectify them. I've often run into that mindset in "real life" (on the air).

The girl probably lacks even the most basic knowledge of how a tube-type power amplifier works, yet her license class authorizes her to use said device at a maximum of 1500w PEP on every amateur band where such power is allowed.

Remember what I said about 'all knobs to the right'? I'll bet money it'll happen in such a circumstance, and the sad part is that newly-licensed, inexperienced people aren't learning about the potential ramifications thereof.

Yes, that level of theory used to be included in the tests.

Can't fault people for it, really. It's how I got licensed. Now, I understand my own limits (My RF out knob stays all the way to the left for now), but really, when the question,"How do I get licensed" and the first thing pointed to is the online practice tests, can you really fault the newly minted hams? Or, do you fault the providers of the practice exams?

Needz moar elmering. That's pretty much the fix.

N8YX
04-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Agreed. The problems begin when they don't want to be...and take exception with people who try to help.

FWIW, a couple other sites are full of such folk. One of my favorite current ongoing threads involves a station with a pi$$-weak signal arguing with W8JI over antenna theory ... :snicker:

KC2UGV
04-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Agreed. The problems begin when they don't want to be...and take exception with people who try to help.

FWIW, a couple other sites are full of such folk. One of my favorite current ongoing threads involves a station with a pi$$-weak signal arguing with W8JI over antenna theory ... :snicker:

True, but hose hams, AFAIK, have existed since time immemorial. Take the yokels on the 20M band. How long have they been licensed? Or the AM vs. SSB war?

N8YX
04-06-2010, 10:42 AM

True, but hose hams, AFAIK, have existed since time immemorial. Take the yokels on the 20M band. How long have they been licensed? Or the AM vs. SSB war?
The latest is the SSB vs ESSB war...and yes, many of the newcomers lack the understanding of why they should attempt to keep their transmitted signal to a reasonable bandwidth. They witness their peers and figure they have to play Barney Broadcaster as well.

In the days before SDR-based (or menued) rigs, one had to have a bit of theory under their belt in order to successfully modify (widen) their SSB transmitter's bandwidth...and correctly realign the rig afterward. With a number of newer radios it really IS as simple as "all knobs to the right" (via menu, even) - and most who run their equipment in a wide-open fashion have nary a clue about what they're doing to their spectral neighbors.

Now couple that wide signal into a mis-tuned amplifier; one which got that way because its owner won't (or can't) RTFM... :whistle

KJ3N
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Link for the lulz, please.

N8YX
04-06-2010, 01:18 PM
From here down:

http://forums.qrz.com/showpost.php?p=1907675&postcount=22

KJ3N
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
From here down:

http://forums.qrz.com/showpost.php?p=1907675&postcount=22
I was just starting to read that thread. Jim seems to "not get it" at times.

N8YX
04-06-2010, 01:32 PM
I was just starting to read that thread. Jim seems to "not get it" at times.
Methinks the Drama Llama has found a new place of residence. FWIW, there are similar threads where he's managed to blow parts of his feet off with a modicum of effort.

kf0rt
04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
One of my favorite current ongoing threads involves a station with a pi$$-weak signal arguing with W8JI over antenna theory ... :snicker:

From what I recall, '8JI has less than infinite patience for "stupid." They should be diggin' the free education.

KJ3N
04-06-2010, 09:01 PM
From what I recall, '8JI has less than infinite patience for "stupid."
I have almost none. Who wins? :spin: :rofl:

w2amr
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
hay guess what i passes my general online test-no time spent studding had to guess the answers on band plan down south surprisingly only a couple questions on operating practice no questions on figuring frequency of antennas
no wonder there is lots of newbe questions like how to build a antenna -what is the best
wire antenna to buy ect ect :stirpot:Whaaaaaaa? :think

WØTKX
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM
wire antenna to buy ect ect :stirpot:Whaaaaaaa? :think

I guess it's a Delta accent. :rofl:

VE7MGF
04-08-2010, 02:31 PM
that's whaaaaa eh :snicker: :snicker: