PDA

View Full Version : WPX 'test

N8YX
03-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm listening.

Lots of prefixes. Lots of DX.

Lots of empty space on which the kibbutzers may kvetch.

Who will be the first to start a 'net forum thread griping about it?

N8YX
03-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Would the QRMer on 14.300.5 please stop with the "blubberlips" routine and go find your net's alternate frequency?

After all...you folks did have one planned ahead of time...right?

WØTKX
03-27-2010, 04:30 PM
15 is rockin'... Brazil and Argentina pounding in. 10 has activity, but I have heard no DX.

11 Meters is full of exuberance. :snicker:

N8YX
03-27-2010, 05:45 PM
NCS of the MMSN is now claiming ownership of 14.300 and threatening to have anyone who uses it for the contest disqualified. :roll:

KJ3N
03-27-2010, 06:17 PM
NCS of the MMSN is now claiming ownership of 14.300 and threatening to have anyone who uses it for the contest disqualified. :roll:
:rofl: :rofl:

Get a fracking life!

N8YX
03-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Get a fracking life!

You can't make this stuff up.

'DSG heard the exchange, pronounced the NCS an utter moron then said she'd rather listen to truckers on CH19 than that bunch of hoo-hah.

It gets better:

Overheard someone trying to get a guy to petition the United Nations to designate the frequency as an "official emergency allocation".

WØTKX
03-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Check in nicely, then give him your numbers as if it's another contest contact. :snicker:

KJ3N
03-27-2010, 06:45 PM

Get a fracking life!

You can't make this stuff up.

'DSG heard the exchange, pronounced the NCS an utter moron then said she'd rather listen to truckers on CH19 than that bunch of hoo-hah.

It gets better:

Overheard someone trying to get a guy to petition the United Nations to designate the frequency as an "official emergency allocation".
Somebody should have gotten it on tape. :rofl: :rofl:

N8YX
03-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Before the hole(sic) thing gets deleted, head over to the Q&A area and have a look at the anti-contest SSTV thread which was started by a ZL.

The apologistas are out in force therein.

Pursuant to 'AMR's "Diaper Change" thread found elsewhere on this site: George, you wouldn't happen to have a spare pack of Pampers lingering about, would you? That crowd's in need. Srsly.

KJ3N
03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Before the hole(sic) thing gets deleted, head over to the Q&A area and have a look at the anti-contest SSTV thread which was started by a ZL.

The apologistas are out in force therein.

Pursuant to 'AMR's "Diaper Change" thread found elsewhere on this site: George, you wouldn't happen to have a spare pack of Pampers lingering about, would you? That crowd's in need. Srsly.
Already taken care of.

http://forums.qrz.com/showpost.php?p=1900033&postcount=46

Cry me a river. :roll: :slap:

N8YX
03-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Cry me a river.
Is NOT a waterway in Russia. :whistle

KJ3N
03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Cry me a river.
Yet, we may need sand bags for all the tears shed in that thread. :roll:

WX7P
03-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Whoa, Fred et al.

You guys SHREDDED that argument.

Bravissimo!

N8YX
03-28-2010, 12:41 PM
I worked my sole WPX contact a minute ago - AC6EA, here in Akron. Got a ton of stuff to do today and I'm not going to get much radio time. :-|

N8YX
03-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Whoa, Fred et al.

Bravissimo!
The thing that the SSTVers, net-noids and all the other complainers should realize is this:

If someone's using your favorite frequency and you ask them nicely to move due to a scheduled net, most people will accommodate your request.

If someone comes on and DEMANDS that whomever had the frequency give it up because their group (or their "mode of choice") owns it, they can go pound sand. Kilowatt for kilowatt, you're not budging a well-designed contest station and the interlopers know it. So they play their games..."blubberlips"...whistle, scratch the mic and send CW 'QRM loops' over and over again in the hopes they'll run those damned contesters OFF the bands.

Especially amusing are hams who cling to the ARRL band plans as Holy Writ, superceding that which has been laid down by the FCC. A relative newcomer to the hobby gets a pass when they spout this stuff. An OF ("ham God!") who should know better? Ain't happening. If your favorite SSTV frequency is tied up then go find another and transmit there.

KC2UGV
03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Lots of 10M activity going on, that band is hot. I can hear all kinds of stations, from S. America, TX, CA...

Shit man. I put my call out for about 30 minutes... No answer back :( Gotta start troubleshooting my setup. Something has to be wrong.

KG4CGC
03-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Lots of 10M activity going on, that band is hot. I can hear all kinds of stations, from S. America, TX, CA...

Shit man. I put my call out for about 30 minutes... No answer back :( Gotta start troubleshooting my setup. Something has to be wrong.
Mobile? All the meters working right? You can hear yourself on a monitor receiver?
If everything checks out, you know what you need to do.
Move that rover.

KB3LIX
03-28-2010, 07:29 PM

There MUST be at least one TURD in every bowl, otherwise, the bowl doesn't count.

As of 0000z, the silence is deafening !!!
WHAT a DIFFERENCE !

N8YX
03-28-2010, 07:41 PM

There MUST be at least one TURD in every bowl, otherwise, the bowl doesn't count.

As of 0000z, the silence is deafening !!!
WHAT a DIFFERENCE !
Of course, the Apologistas are out in force elsewhere...defending not only the actions of that net and its sycophants but the SSTV Jam-O-Matic Machine as well.

Speaking of...where are they? I see NO pictures screaming "Contesters is teh suck!" coming across my screen right about now. :think

W3WN
03-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Cry me a river.
Boo.

Quit being a hot dog, that's the wurst type of pun. Even though I relish them.

KC2UGV
03-29-2010, 10:15 AM

I saw that on the DX cluster while working on a tcl script. "Contesting on 14300 is Prohibited"

I was like lolwut?

W3WN
03-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Whoa, Fred et al.

Bravissimo!
The thing that the SSTVers, net-noids and all the other complainers should realize is this:

If someone's using your favorite frequency and you ask them nicely to move due to a scheduled net, most people will accommodate your request.

If someone comes on and DEMANDS that whomever had the frequency give it up because their group (or their "mode of choice") owns it, they can go pound sand. Kilowatt for kilowatt, you're not budging a well-designed contest station and the interlopers know it. So they play their games..."blubberlips"...whistle, scratch the mic and send CW 'QRM loops' over and over again in the hopes they'll run those damned contesters OFF the bands.

Especially amusing are hams who cling to the ARRL band plans as Holy Writ, superceding that which has been laid down by the FCC. A relative newcomer to the hobby gets a pass when they spout this stuff. An OF ("ham God!") who should know better? Ain't happening. If your favorite SSTV frequency is tied up then go find another and transmit there.
They won't ask, let alone ask nicely.

And I love that the same schmucks who are now claiming the band plans as gospel (a most appropriate week for that, dontcha think?) are the same ones who, just a few short weeks back, where kvetching and moaning about the proposed changes to the band plan by IARU R2 -- specifically, who the hell were the IARU & ARRL to tell them where to operate, don't they know that they don't need no stinkin' band plan?

Nothing like a little hypocrisy for your post-contest critique.

KC9ECI
03-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Contests aren't allowed on the WARC bands, nets should be banned from the non-WARC bands. I caught some of the advanced ass-hattery going on Saturday on 14.300. Amusing in a short bus sort of way.