PDA

View Full Version : Who (or what) is "Terry Sowden"?

N8YX
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
I put out a few 'Want' ads during the last several months...a couple of those looking for some rather esoteric equipment...and received the following boilerplate e-mail each time I did:

I do have the parts available in good condition. Let me know if you
still need them.

Terry Sowden

The odds of this guy having one of what I was after are pretty slim, let alone all of them...and with the exact same message in reply for each, the odds increase to "astronomical".

A person at another ham site started a thread in the site's 'References' section asking about potential dealings with Terry. Myself and one other person replied, stating exactly what has been said in this thread...and found our comments "deleted due to inappropriateness".

Is this character for real?

I have my suspicions that a clever automated e-mail harvester is at work, looking for certain key phrases or words.

Comments/experiences?

N9FE
03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Here and QTH are the ONLY places i advertise. I've got more junk and spam from japan from QRZ its just nuts. Never again QRZ !

KG4CGC
03-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Must be Secret Squirrel stuff.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?p=1895708#post1895708

N8YX
03-25-2010, 06:11 PM
My PM has gone unanswered.

KG4CGC
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
The Sowden PM?

N9FE
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
The Sowden PM?
No.. secret squirrel

N4VGB
03-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Comments/experiences?

Terry Sowden in the UK rings a bell with me? :chin:

Just from vague memory, he is/was an eBay seller with a lot of stuff. The guy I'm thinking about sold me a bunch of NOS NIB 833As on eBay and then some other tubes and parts off eBay.

I know it isn't much info or help, but it's all I remember.

N8YX
03-26-2010, 04:37 AM

Just from vague memory, he is/was an eBay seller with a lot of stuff. The guy I'm thinking about sold me a bunch of NOS NIB 833As on eBay and then some other tubes and parts off eBay.

I saw that during a Google search...but...figure the odds of that outfit having exactly what several people are looking for when you're dealing with rather obscure (non-UK-market) gear.

N4VGB
03-26-2010, 05:45 PM

I saw that during a Google search...but...figure the odds of that outfit having exactly what several people are looking for when you're dealing with rather obscure (non-UK-market) gear.

If this is the same guy, he had tons of stuff, very old to fairly new! :yes:

I concluded he was a very big surplus dealer in the UK. Probably worked all of Europe to have so much stuff. Some of these big time surplus dealers amaze me with the parts they come up with in volume and of course they don't like to admit it but they sell a lot to each other. I was in Fair Radio just before a Dayton Hamvention many moons ago and there was a guy there buying big volume of parts. My 'fest partner nudged me and informed he was the owner of Nebraska Surplus Sales. :roll:

n0iu
03-28-2010, 07:01 AM
When I post stuff for sale, all I get is an offer to pay me MORE than my asking price from a guy who will send me a cashier's cheque for $5000. All I have to do is deposit the cheque in my bank, deduct the amount of the item he purchased and send him the balance in cash! But I have them fooled since I just deposit the cheque and never send them the item!! HAHAHAHAHAHA