PDA

View Full Version : Paid job as a ham radio operator!?

N4VGB
03-21-2010, 07:47 PM
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/a ... -365A1.pdf (http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-365A1.pdf)

This one is very interesting indeed. The old "pecuniary interest" rule of ham radio could be headed down the toilet. :chin:

Being paid a salary to operate ham radio gear for your employer. :chin:

Looks like one of those "slippery slope" situations to me. :disagree:

N8YX
03-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Whackers at it again, I presume? :think

ki4itv
03-22-2010, 08:15 AM
This request is SO MUCH bullshit.
How hard is it to get a real ham to come in and do this for them? Especially twice a year. Come on.

Their main objective is to get their people operating on our frequencies legally.
This really has little or nothing to do with ham radio, other than a cheap transceiver and free spectrum.

Personally, if the FCC doesn't come out swinging in their response to this intrusion...it will be time to start worrying. Fo real.

It's time for a separate service dedicated to this aberration we've allowed to mutate unchecked.

</tempered rant>

WØTKX
03-22-2010, 09:13 AM
I dunno, looks like it's a way to change the rules so it works in that situation. So what? A big part of the deal is the splintering of emergency radio and hobby radio. Look at the Red Cross debacle over security checks and credit scores. It's all part of the FEMA thing.

What's really amusing is I have passed the first two FEMA exams for emergency responders. Because of my job. We're supposed to do a really weird and wild simulation sometime this year... they did one at DIA not too long ago.

We use cell phones. :rofl:

Personally, I have handled traffic in years gone by, and was a tornado spotter in the old Civil Defense group. I enjoyed those roles, but I did not enjoy the typical micromanagement behavior exhibited in most organizations... seems too many need to play soldier, and rank is more important than the work.

If I ever found a group that operated differently, I would be quite active in the drills and such. My last "public service" effort was reporting the weather for NOAA, as I was living near the top of a mountain pass, at 10.3K elevation. Proud and happy to do that, but NOAA doesn't need another report from Denver. I really miss doing that net, and still listen.

Always found CW nets to be more effective, with better message flow. :whistle

N8YX
03-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Is there a 'comments' link which we can include in the thread?

ki4itv
03-22-2010, 01:30 PM
I dunno, looks like it's a way to change the rules so it works in that situation. So what?

I only have two topics in AR that stimulate abrupt, visceral reactions, causing me to spew forth at the mouth uncontrollably.
A) The growing role of govt. sponsored EMCOM.
B) The lack of close scrutiny re: WINLINK

I will spare you the gory details. :lol: :rofl:

N8YX
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I only have two topics in AR that stimulate abrupt, visceral reactions, causing me to spew forth at the mouth uncontrollably.

All one needs to do is to fork the money out for an SCS-III modem then monitor WinLink traffic for evidence of prohibited content. :think

KG4CGC
03-22-2010, 01:36 PM

All one needs to do is to fork the money out for an SCS-III modem then monitor WinLink traffic for evidence of prohibited content. :think
Oh, I thought there was freeware for Winlink. Well, there should be.

ki4itv
03-22-2010, 01:47 PM

I could monitor on some of my friends boats, until it's passed onto the internet, of course.
I don't know any full-time RV'ers.
;)

edit:

I've often used Multipsk to decode the P1 callsign blast at the beginning (and end) of certain WINLINK traffic.
The illustrious Waterman's booming Pac-bot used to squat all over a frequent PSK DX watering hole on 30m. Many of those transmissions would go on and on... with some scaring the shit out of an hour.
By the time it's over, the DX is gone and the propagation has shifted to somewhere nobodies playing radio.

N8YX
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
As soon as I get my digital-modes operating positions reorganized I'm half-tempted to go buy one of the things, hook it up and see what I catch.

ki4itv
03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
As soon as I get my digital-modes operating positions reorganized I'm half-tempted to go buy one of the things, hook it up and see what I catch.

You'll probably find that Domino's sells boat/RV parts, has mooring fees, hauling fees, as well as operates a business message service for a relatively affluent transient population and their non-ham support structure.
But, go ahead...order that pizza over the repeater phone patch. :doh:

WØTKX
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
QSL...

I'd like a large pizza with mushroom, black olive, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes.
White garlic dipping sauce please. Thanks!

KA5PIU
03-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Hello.

Actually, the argument is that in an actual emergency the hams would be in the field and not in a hospital.
Quite a few hospitals have Amateur repeaters on their rooftops.
And, read it carefully, they are not asking for an exemption from a license, what they want is for the people they already have who already have a license to be able to operate while working there.
Right now we have such an exemption in place for school teachers as well as federal employees so this sets no precedence.
And, as far as cheap radios go, you get what you pay for, ham radios are built to a price.
Grab a Motorola or Harris commercial talkie and you will see what I mean, quality makes itself clear.

ki4itv
03-23-2010, 08:19 AM
The only thing better than free help, is paid help you can control under the fear of reprimand. You really don't have to look very far to find what appears to be an orchestrated effort to stack amateur radio with paid professionals. It's literally amazing how many PS employees have seen the light of radio and wish to become licensed, active, conservators of our wonderfully historic hobby.
I'm calling bullshit on it. The only reason these people are becoming licensed is because a value has been assigned to having a ticket, and some form of professional incentive is perceived by those who seek one.

We already have both licensed and unlicensed Police /fire personnel being busted for using AR frequencies purposely, on the job, and with little regard for existing law. In one case, once discovered and "outed" for being the profanity laced cretins they are , what do you think happens? Well, many of the unlicensed pass a simple test and the FCC licensed them anyway after having severely flaunting the part 97 rules. The one's who were licensed and knew what they were doing was illegal, remain licensed. Now there's a WTF for you.

One glaringly obvious red flag, for me, is how trained public safety professionals respond when directly confronted about working with hams in general. Many don't want to. Not only that, but they'll be very frank about the reasons they don't want us around, and for the most part they would be correct.
The contemporary answer; National organizations certify and train amateur radio operators to be just like PS part 90.

So. now we have the Federal government telling PS they should have a backup plan instituting amateur radio.
We have a large percentage of PS professionals who don't want to work with hams.
We have a mysterious influx of PS personnel becoming licensed amateurs diluting our true numbers.
We have request for waivers so "their guy" can operate strategic stations while being paid.
And we have an organized effort from within to make those of us who don't go away, more like PS radio.

Yeah, What fsking problem? :spin: :lol:

N8YX
03-23-2010, 08:46 AM
The only reason these people are becoming licensed is because a value has been assigned to having a ticket, and some form of professional incentive is perceived by those who seek one.
Yours is the correct answer.

Before the League apologists jump in: Why in the he!! isn't Newington actively working to squash this nonsense?

KA5PIU
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Hello.

Here is a question.
Why is it that the groups in question do not want most hams.
In the case of fire and police the solution is an easy one, simply assign this to the vollies.
We have around 1200 licensed hams who are also VFD or reserve police.
The guys who started Hamsexy, Fire Department hams.
Look around you, examine QRZ, ask yourself this question, in an actual emergency, would you want this person as part of your team?
Once you look at it from that viewpoint you will understand.