PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it.

w2amr
03-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Had my last cigarette on Wednesday morning March 17 @ 11AM . This Sh*t ain't easy, but I think the worst is over.

W2NAP
03-21-2010, 04:18 AM
Had my last cigarette on Wednesday morning March 17 @ 11AM . This Sh*t ain't easy, but I think the worst is over.

good luck man. longest i been able to go is 6 hours. and at the 6 hour mark I was a total dick and someone tossed me a ciggie telling me i actually needed it to make me a somewhat nice guy

w2amr
03-21-2010, 04:38 AM
It amazing how much better I feel after only 4 days . I also noticed this morning that my heart rate on the treadmill dropped from 102 @ 3.6 MPH, to 92. And, at 3.8 MPH it never went over 95. :shock:

N8YX
03-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Good going, George! :agree:

I had my last in '88. Put them down and never looked back.

Miss a good briar pipe from time to time...possibly a cigar...more for the taste than for the nicotine or anything else which goes with smoking.

w2amr
03-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Good going, George! :agree:

I had my last in '88. Put them down and never looked back.

Miss a good briar pipe from time to time...possibly a cigar...more for the taste than for the nicotine or anything else which goes with smoking.
I should have done it a long time ago Fred, but better late than never I guess.

N8YX
03-21-2010, 07:19 AM
I should have done it a long time ago Fred, but better late than never I guess.
Your gear will appreciate being smoke-free too. That is, if you ever smoked around the stuff.

I have a TS-820S whose PA band switch wafers were burned up because of excess cigarette smoke contamination. The fact that smoking could do that kind of damage to a piece of electronic gear - let alone a person's lungs - really opened my eyes. There were a couple other factors which aided my decision to quit, but the contamination aspect played a big part.

My mother smoked for a large part of her life "...but didn't inhale..." :roll:

I am still dealing with the aftereffects of her habit WRT cleaning up the house I inherited. One room at a time, all of the walls are getting scrubbed, stripped and re-painted. Eventually I'll re-carpet it as well.

n0iu
03-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Had my last cigarette on Wednesday morning March 17 @ 11AM . This Sh*t ain't easy, but I think the worst is over.I did not quit smoking. I am not a quitter! I made my "personal decision" to stop smoking on June 16, 2002.

I had tried everything... gum (That tastes like s&#t!), patches (I couldn't keep the damn things lit!), Wellbutrin aka Zyban (Which is actually an anti-depressant. I felt great, but it didn't help me stop smoking!), and hypnosis. What finally did it was auricular therapy. This is where you get tiny jolts of electrical current at specific spots around your ears! I had smoked anywhere from 2-3 packs a day... EVERY DAY... for over 25 years and this is the only thing that worked! The best part... NO WITHDRAWAL symptoms!

Whatever method you used... good luck!

ki4itv
03-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Congratulations George! Hang in there man.

I really need to do that...and thanks for mentioning how much better you feel.
I'm in the process of intentionally cutting back, but should just drop'em altogether.

X-Rated
03-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I totally respect and am impressed with those who can quit. Congratulations George and to you as well Fred. That is very enlightening.

suddenseer
03-21-2010, 09:10 AM
way 2 go :agree: :agree: :clap:

I quit about 100 lbs. ago.... :slap:

N1LAF
03-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Good choice, George, you won't regret it!

Finally, a topic we all can agree on!
:mrgreen:

WX7P
03-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Good choice, George, you won't regret it!

Finally, a topic we all can agree on!
:mrgreen:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

N4VGB
03-21-2010, 09:50 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I've seen that often.

WX7P
03-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Good luck to you on this one, George.

I quit dipping snuff 30 years ago (Copenhagen) after using it for about 4 years. Toughest thing I ever had to do.

My advice is to concentrate on how much better you feel when you get the urge to smoke. The difference is huge, trust me.

Won't lie to you, it will take a while to feel "normal", but it's waaaaay worth it in the long run.

N9FE
03-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Been smoking since 1972. Still takes 24 or more hours to kill a pack. I too have tried to quit. It's hard george. I figure if you can go six months or so, You got it licked. I hear of so many say, Well i quit for a year and started again. Keep up the fight george ! You can kick er.

w2amr
03-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks Guys. I tried to stop about 20 years ago cold turkey, it laster about two weeks. This time I'm using the Nicorette gum 4 Mg per dose and it seems to help quite a bit. It better help, this sh*t is twice the cost of cigarettes. :lol:

W4RLR
03-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Best of luck to you, I hope you make it. You will feel better and your family and friends will thank you for it.

kf0rt
03-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Good on you, George! :clap:

I quit for about a year and a half and started again about a year ago (yeah, STUPID!). Think I'm going to join you.

K7SGJ
03-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Good show!. You will feel so much better and find you have much more stamina. I smoked for 30 years, quit for 10, started again, and finally quit again about 5 years ago. What got me started again was I made the mistake of a cigar every now and then and wham. Back to smoking everything in no time. Last time I used Chantix. It really works well. You lose the buzz you get after not taking a drag for a day or two. I found the best thing to do, if you can, is to alter your schedule, too. If you usually eat at 11 and smoke right after, eat at 12, it screws up you "smoke" clock. If you can, stay away from alcohol for a while. Sex is okay, in fact sex is very very good. Better if you share it with someone, though.
Good luck and hang in there, you will do fine.

suddenseer
03-21-2010, 05:27 PM

I found the best diet to reverse this...the chemo diet :spin: :spin:

It works better than the south beach, adkins, hilton head, et.al.

:slap: your results may vary :wall

kf0rt
03-21-2010, 05:38 PM

I found the best diet to reverse this...the chemo diet :spin: :spin:

It works better than the south beach, adkins, hilton head, et.al.

:slap: your results may vary :wall

Ouch.

But true.

N4VGB
03-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks Guys. I tried to stop about 20 years ago cold turkey, it laster about two weeks. This time I'm using the Nicorette gum 4 Mg per dose and it seems to help quite a bit. It better help, this sh*t is twice the cost of cigarettes. :lol:

And how much of that Nicorette gum are we chewing a day? I've got a friend that got hooked on that gum more than the cigarettes.

N7RJD
03-21-2010, 11:30 PM

And how much of that Nicorette gum are we chewing a day? I've got a friend that got hooked on that gum more than the cigarettes.

That can be a problem when using a substitute but different things work for different people.

Personally I quit quitting, it was so much easier. :rofl: :rofl:

KG4CGC
03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Once the patch starts to soak in, you get that warm rush of dark smoky love.
Mmmmmmm

KB3LAZ
03-22-2010, 02:42 AM
I have quit three times. Once for 6 months, once for a months and one for a little over a year. One thing leads to another and I end up lighting up a smoke yet again. Im an on again off again smoker. Seems that I smoke a few months then I dont then I do again. :lol:

w2amr
03-22-2010, 02:55 AM

We are taking one piece every hour, except when we are sleeping.

K7SGJ
03-22-2010, 07:23 AM
If you feel you might benefit from one while sleeping, they can probably be used as a suppository. At least you eliminate the choke hazard.

ki4itv
03-22-2010, 07:53 AM

:lol: You know the rules, only refer to the plural "you" when operating fone. :lol:
It's ham law.
"5 points deducted from Gryffindor."

KG4CGC
03-22-2010, 01:22 PM
OMG! Did you just say, "Gryffindor?"

N8YX
03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Who is this "we"?

Is it 'precious'?

http://www.thinkersroom.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/smeagol.jpg

N4VGB
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Not bad George, resist chewing more.

My brother-in-law was on Nicorette while he tried to quit, he switched to the nicotine patch and it worked better for him.

I'll swear that guy I worked with that was on Nicorette was putting a new piece in his mouth every time I looked at him! His trash can was full of the little wraps by the end of each day!

w2amr
03-22-2010, 03:21 PM

Not bad George, resist chewing more.

My brother-in-law was on Nicorette while he tried to quit, he switched to the nicotine patch and it worked better for him.

I'll swear that guy I worked with that was on Nicorette was putting a new piece in his mouth every time I looked at him! His trash can was full of the little wraps by the end of each day!
I'm using 1 every hour for the first week or so, then I can start to back it down a bit.

W5GA
03-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Mack, how'd he get them to stay lit and not stick to his fingers at the end? :rofl: :rofl:

N4VGB
03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Mack, how'd he get them to stay lit and not stick to his fingers at the end? :rofl: :rofl:

He told me once that it was a problem! :rofl:

That old boy was a 3 to 4 pack a day smoker and it was really tough for him to quit. He hit the vending machines in the break room about every hour also, suckin' down them Twinkies one after another! :rofl:

But I gotta give the guy the credit he deserves. He quit smokin' and afterwards lost all the weight he gained in the attempt. The whole affair lasted about 2-2.5 years.

We had one employee that went the hypnosis route to quit smokin'. The suggestion the hypnotist gave him was to rub the left side of his nose and he would feel like he had just smoked a cigarette. The left side of his nose stayed rosy red and then started bleeding. :doh: :rofl: It was funny as hell but eventually it worked for him. Puts new meaning to "putting some skin in the game". :rofl:

n2ize
03-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Good luck to you on this one, George.

I quit dipping snuff 30 years ago (Copenhagen) after using it for about 4 years. Toughest thing I ever had to do.

Ah, you too... I chewed tobacco for about 12 years with a short break in between. I started out with Skoal and Copenhagen. Then I switched to regular chewing tobacco and I chewed Red Man, Beech-Nut, Wrigley's, Union Station, and Levi Garret. I quit for about a year in 1982 then a year later I was walking through White Plains and someone handed me a free sample pack of "Skoal Bandits" and I was hooked again and from about 1983 - 1993 I used mainly Mint Flavoured Skoal, Copenhagen, Kodiak, and Red Man Plug tobacco. Finally in the early 90's I started hearing a lot of horror stories about people getting terrible oral and throat cancers from chewing tobacco. Everytime I would get a sore in my mouth I would get worried. Finally I got sick of worrying and I said "the heck with it" and at some point in 1993 I flushed whatever tobacco I had left down the toilet and I have never chewed (or dipped) tobacco since.

I also used to smoke a pipe occasionally. I still have a few of my pipes but I haven't smoked them in ages.

I will admit to smoking a cigarette a few months ago but that was on a whim and I haven't touched a cigarette since either. For the most part I am tobacco free these days.

n2ize
03-23-2010, 02:46 PM

I didn't know you smoked. Glad to hear you quit. I wish you best of luck. It's not only better for your health but, it will save you considerable money.

w2amr
03-23-2010, 03:20 PM

I didn't know you smoked. Glad to hear you quit. I wish you best of luck. It's not only better for your health but, it will save you considerable money.
That's for sure. The cheapest are in Delaware and they are about $55 a carton. How much are they in NY city John?

N4VGB
03-23-2010, 04:21 PM
That's for sure. The cheapest are in Delaware and they are about $55 a carton. How much are they in NY city John?

:shock: $55 a carton! :shock:

Good grief Charlie Brown. I still go into the tobacco store where I formerly bought cigarettes, they're still the cheapest beer around here. I see signs indicating from mid $30 to mid $40 per carton, the so-called 'premium brands' being on the high end of that scale. There are also some generic cigarettes, no brand name, just the required gov markings on cartons and packs at high $20 per carton.

At $55 per carton almost all smoking would cease in TN. :lol:

w2amr
03-26-2010, 03:41 AM
Beginning my 10th day, and I haven't killed anybody yet. That's a good sign.

N8YX
03-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Gets easier from here.

When they hit $1 per pack I said "Enough is enough". Think I held out through $1.35, though...albeit dispensed from a machine.

w2amr
03-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Gets easier from here.

When they hit $1 per pack I said "Enough is enough". Think I held out through $1.35, though...albeit dispensed from a machine.
Around here a single pack goes for about eight bucks.

N8YX
03-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Gets easier from here.

:shock:

KG4CGC
03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I read somewhere (?) a few years ago that they were going for $10 a pack in NY and I'm assuming that they're even higher now. Occasionally I'll be at a discount dealer shop and there is someone from north of the Mason-Dixon line purchasing large quantities.
About a year or more back, I read where Kansas was prohibiting anyone from traveling into their state with more than 2 cartons of cigs that were purchased outside the state. At the time the story was written, it was stated that they were using road blocks to search everyone but that sounded a bit extreme.

X-Rated
03-26-2010, 11:48 AM
I read somewhere (?) a few years ago that they were going for $10 a pack in NY and I'm assuming that they're even higher now. Occasionally I'll be at a discount dealer shop and there is someone from north of the Mason-Dixon line purchasing large quantities.
About a year or more back, I read where Kansas was prohibiting anyone from traveling into their state with more than 2 cartons of cigs that were purchased outside the state. At the time the story was written, it was stated that they were using road blocks to search everyone but that sounded a bit extreme.
When I was a kid growing up in Kansas, we had an AG named Verne Miller. He was our own secret agent 007 busting drugs every single day across the state. At the time, liquor by the drink was illegal except in private clubs, and he started busting restaurants that did not adhere to those laws. He noticed trains would cross through Kansas who served liquor, and by golly, he got Amtrak to stop selling liquor as it passed through Kansas. And yes. I am not exaggerating when he started going after aircraft flying over Kansas for selling liquor over Kansas.

Let's see here. What were you saying about Kansas and a bit extreme?

kf0rt
03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Gets easier from here.

About five bucks a pack here. When we were in Cancun last month, they were selling for 60 pesos ($4.80). Even Mexico must have gotten into the tax game.

X-Rated
03-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Gets easier from here.

About five bucks a pack here. When we were in Cancun last month, they were selling for 60 pesos ($4.80). Even Mexico must have gotten into the tax game.
When I was in Japan last month, they were, ... oh wait. I didn't pay attention.

w2amr
03-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Don't they smoke fish over there? :think

X-Rated
03-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Uhmmm. No. It tastes pretty raw to me.

w2amr
03-26-2010, 03:20 PM

Uhmmm. No. It tastes pretty raw to me.
http://rlv.zcache.com/smoking_fish_mousepad-p144093975348165553trak_400.jpg

N4VGB
03-26-2010, 05:28 PM
George is probably very close to attempting smoking a fish at this point! :lol:

Remember George, I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.

I smoked Camel filters for far more years of my life than I've been quit. :yes:

:doh: Now that I'm thinking about them, I sure would like to have one! :rofl:

w2amr
03-27-2010, 03:05 AM
About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with COPD ,chronic bronchitis , and allergenic asthma. . Every year I went to my pulmonary doctor for lung tests , and every year my lung functions continued to drop. This last trip, the doctor told me that if I didn't stop smoking, in a few more years I would probably be carrying a portable oxygen tank around. That was the wake up call that I needed. BTW Mack, Within 3 days of quitting , I would say 75% of my bronchitis symptoms are gone.

N4VGB
03-27-2010, 12:42 PM
About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with COPD ,chronic bronchitis , and allergenic asthma. . Every year I went to my pulmonary doctor for lung tests , and every year my lung functions continued to drop. This last trip, the doctor told me that if I didn't stop smoking, in a few more years I would probably be carrying a portable oxygen tank around. That was the wake up call that I needed. BTW Mack, Within 3 days of quitting , I would say 75% of my bronchitis symptoms are gone.

Know all about COPD, but I was well advanced before any doc got a chance to warn me. I had to be near dead or thinking I was near dead before I'd go anywhere near a doctor for years, stitches for cuts and casts for broke bones were about my only visits. I had one of those "hit the high spots" physicals once a year, company required minimum, that was about all. :roll:

My COPD was diagnosed after the heart attack! :rofl:

N8YX
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Ah, the wonders of modern medicine...prolonging the lives of youse guys; thereby extending the race to see who's the "grumpiest":

http://oconallstreet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/grumpy-old-men.jpg

:rofl:

w2amr
05-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, I have over 6 weeks logged since the last smoke, and I'm down to 4 or 5 pcs of gum per day. I think I'm goning to make it. Wooo Hooo.

W3MIV
05-02-2010, 03:15 PM
We're pulling for you, Geo. It ain't easy. I had the supreme advantage of a smoking-related heart attack, and consequent weeks in hospital (sans tobacco) back in '95 -- death is the best goad to lifestyle changes, I suppose.

Had an uncle. He was a musician on radio and TV back in forties and fifties. Alcoholic. Wife threatened to leave him and take kid in 1955. He took the pledge and stayed dry until he finally checked out at age 91. He never could quit smoking, however, and sucked Camels to the very end. He always swore that it was a worse addiction than booze.

You're gonna make it. But don't ever make the mistake of thinking you can sneak JUST ONE. Too many of my friends, clean of the weed for a couple of years, fell back into the pit that way.

You have my prayers and my best hope. Go fer it.

w2amr
05-02-2010, 03:30 PM
We're pulling for you, Geo. It ain't easy. I had the supreme advantage of a smoking-related heart attack, and consequent weeks in hospital (sans tobacco) back in '95 -- death is the best goad to lifestyle changes, I suppose.

Had an uncle. He was a musician on radio and TV back in forties and fifties. Alcoholic. Wife threatened to leave him and take kid in 1955. He took the pledge and stayed dry until he finally checked out at age 91. He never could quit smoking, however, and sucked Camels to the very end. He always swore that it was a worse addiction than booze.

You're gonna make it. But don't ever make the mistake of thinking you can sneak JUST ONE. Too many of my friends, clean of the weed for a couple of years, fell back into the pit that way.

You have my prayers and my best hope. Go fer it.
Thanks Albert.

N8YX
05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Every pack not smoked is an average of $5 more bling for the Chevelle. Or $5 towards an HX-500.

Think about it.

w2amr
05-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Every pack not smoked is an average of $5 more bling for the Chevelle. Or $5 towards an HX-500.

Think about it. $5? Around here a single pack goes for 8 or 9 bucks a pop.

N8YX
05-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Carton prices are a little less, no?

Still...it'll add up.

w2amr
05-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Carton prices are a little less, no?

Still...it'll add up.
Kath's aunt and uncle used to get them for me in Delaware. Even without sales tax, the last carton I bought was around $58. Since I quit I have probably saved about $250.

W3MIV
05-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Gads. At the height of my habit (three packs a day), I used to run across the Potomac at Point of Rocks and hit a gas station just outside Lucketts, Virginia, and buy ten cartons of kings for about $95.

The worry, of course, was the Maryland State Police with that many unstamped cartons in the car.

w2amr
11-15-2010, 03:41 AM
8 months now. Woo Hoo I'm free !

suddenseer
11-15-2010, 05:35 AM
8 months now. Woo Hoo I'm free !8 months, It's a done deal.....way 2 go..:agree:

PA5COR
11-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Congrats!!!!

kb2crk
11-15-2010, 06:06 AM
congrats i have just hit the 5 month mark myself.

w2amr
11-15-2010, 06:10 AM
congrats i have just hit the 5 month mark myself. Are you still having cravings from time to time?

kb2crk
11-15-2010, 06:25 AM
nope, ccravings stopped after 3 weeks after the nicotene cleared my system.

i do however find myself reaching for my shirt pocket now and then out of habit....

w2amr
11-15-2010, 06:39 AM

i do however find myself reaching for my shirt pocket now and then out of habit....
I still had mild cravings from time to time, even after several months of quitting. They are all gone now though. And, I sure don't miss all of that coughing and hacking every morning, that's for sure.

W3MIV
11-15-2010, 07:07 AM
The cravings gradually subside, but the worst part is the habituation of having a smoke at certain times -- morning coffee, in a bar with buddies, standing around and waiting for something for a long time, etc. In my case, the habituations lasted longer than the actual craving. Those familiar old habits are hard to break.

I can now smell tobacco smoke without being tempted (except good cigars, which were always my particular weakness, but one I now can resist knowing that one cigar may well be the return of addiction). In fact, I find cigarette smoke offensive now. I particularly hate to get into some smoker's car for any length of time -- it is amazing that you don't smell it until you've been off the stuff for some time.

Mazel tov, Geo. The farther from March you go, the easier it becomes. "Live long and prosper."

suddenseer
11-15-2010, 07:23 AM

i do however find myself reaching for my shirt pocket now and then out of habit....I did that for over a year after I quit. Everytime I drove my car, I would reach for the pack. It had become an automatic response to driving.

N2CHX
11-15-2010, 01:57 PM
That's fantastic!

N2NH
11-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Who is this "we"?

Is it 'precious'?

http://www.thinkersroom.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/smeagol.jpg

You know what? He DOES have more than a passing resemblance to the Shrub. :wow:

N2NH
11-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I still had mild cravings from time to time, even after several months of quitting. They are all gone now though. And, I sure don't miss all of that coughing and hacking every morning, that's for sure.

Congratulations to you George and to all who managed to quit. Those that haven't, keep trying. It will happen if you don't give up.

NH: Quitter since 4/1/87. Once smoked 3 packs a day.

I will not say it was easy. I gained 100 pounds the first month. Candy tasted too damned good to pass up. And in my case I got sick, but it was still worth it. Probably wouldn't have made it to the end of 1987 if I hadn't quit.

WØTKX
11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I quit in the mid 80's. Was damn hard... I'd quit for two years, started again for almost a year, then quit for good.

Gained about 50 lbs, and had yo-yo weight problems for a number of years. Still do if I don't watch it.

Quitting the soft drink habit was hard too... Dr. Pepper is addictive, especially with a cigarette. :yes:

w2amr
11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Mazel tov, Geo. The farther from March you go, the easier it becomes. "Live long and prosper."Thank you Albert, the living longer part was the point of this endeavor.:lol:

w2amr
11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Congrats to all who have quit, and best of luck to those about to try. I know it's a tired line, but if I did it anyone can. Oh, and congrats To those who never started. you're smarter than the rest of us.

w2amr
11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
I quit in the mid 80's. Was damn hard... I'd quit for two years, started again for almost a year, then quit for good.

Gained about 50 lbs, and had yo-yo weight problems for a number of years. Still do if I don't watch it.

Quitting the soft drink habit was hard too... Dr. Pepper is addictive, especially with a cigarette. :yes:
I've gained about 10 lbs since I quit. Yet I don't eat or drink anything with sugar , and I walk 1 mile every morning. A bigWTF? :wtf:

W3MIV
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Be happy you only gained ten pounds, Geo. Hope it holds at that. Still in all, mo'bettah than smoking.

w2amr
11-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Be happy you only gained ten pounds, Geo. Hope it holds at that. Still in all, mo'bettah than smoking.Yup, that's what the doc said too.

kb2crk
11-15-2010, 07:39 PM
i have gained about twelve pounds since i quit. not sure why but i have. i read a book to quit and yes it worked. good thing too as i went to the doctor for a physical 3 weeks after stopping and upon learning i was a recently stopped smoker he had a chest x-ray done. i was showing some pre cursors to emphysema. had i not stopped when i did i would have ended up with emphysema by the time i hit 50. i have learned that it has killed quite a few of my ancestors over the years.

N7RJD
11-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Dr. Pepper is addictive, especially with a cigarette. :yes:

Not if you put the cigarette out in the Dr. Pepper.

KA5PIU
11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Hello.

Just to piss some people off I "light up" an electronic "cigarette" every once in a while.
But I do not smoke in the normal sense.
I will do the hooka (water pipe) and the e-cig thing about 3 times a year.
I might get drunk once every 10 years.

w2amr
11-16-2010, 04:15 AM
And people wonder why we started. Hell, it was GOOD for you.

http://www.creativecriminals.com/images/tobacco-silver.jpg

W3MIV
11-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Remember, "more doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette."

w2amr
11-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Remember, "more doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette."
I can remember ash trays in the doctor's waiting rooms.

W3MIV
11-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I can remember ash trays in the doctor's waiting rooms.

Both my doc and my dentist back in the fifties smoked like a house afire. Dentist did smoke Camels. He'd cut them in half with a scalpel, and he'd smoke one half in an FDR-like cigarette holder while he awaited the timer to ring after applying fluoride/antiseptic (obviously a commie) after cleaning my teeth. Ol' Doc Roach always lit up a Lucky when he'd sit at his desk to write out a scrip or make notes in my file.

Nobody much thought about it then. Hospital waiting rooms all had ashtrays, too.

Ralph Bellamy used to have a TV show called "Man Against Crime," at the end of which he used to announce that week's "gift Camels" which were being sent to VA hospitals around the nation.

w2amr
11-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Everybody in my family smoked, The parents of the kids I hung around with smoked, everybody on TV smoked. You had to smoke just to feel normal.:lol:

W3MIV
11-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Everybody... smoked

True. I first started when I was either nine or ten. Used to walk to Saint Bernardine's School in the mornings. Passed by a GA store in front of which were usually a bunch of older kids who would dodge mass every morning. They all smoked. Peer pressure. Ol' man Schuman -- he owned the store -- would sell anyone a pack of cigarettes if they could get the money up on the counter. Hiding them was the big problem. Sen-Sen took care of the smell -- or so we thought.

By the time I hit high school in 1957, I was a thoroughly addicted nicotine junky. In the Army, the daily C-ration all contained a sample pack of four cigarettes to keep the spirit going, as well as food to keep the body going.

Built up over the years -- and I smoked EVERYTHING, including pipes and cigars -- until I went down on the xyl's office floor in 1995. Having a bunch of firemen pounding on you, chucking headache inducing pills down your throat and trying to suffocate you with a mask is an eye-opening experience. Had I not been confined to an ICU for a week or so, I would never have managed to quit. That brief "de-tox" and the terror of facing the exit were what I needed to do it. Even then, it was not easy.

w2amr
11-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Pretty much the same deal with Kath. After the heart attack she spent a week in the hospital, then months on light duty. She said if not for the heart attack, she probably would still be smoking.

w2amr
03-17-2011, 03:34 AM
One year today . :dance:I can't even stand the smell of the damn things anymore.

kc7jty
03-17-2011, 03:50 AM
Success! Congrats OM.

w2amr
03-17-2011, 03:52 AM
Success! Congrats OM.Tnx Bill, it's a great feeling.

N9FE
03-17-2011, 05:51 AM
Hats off to ya george. Down to less than a half a pack in 24 hours, But still not done completely. 99% bordom is the problem, Which will change now that the warm weather is here. 50 degrees yesterday, The first 50 degree day here so far. I'm going to the beach but the water is still a little hard yet..

NQ6U
03-17-2011, 11:16 AM
One year today . :dance:I can't even stand the smell of the damn things anymore.

Way to go!

w2amr
03-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Hats off to ya george. Down to less than a half a pack in 24 hours, But still not done completely. 99% bordom is the problem, Which will change now that the warm weather is here. 50 degrees yesterday, The first 50 degree day here so far. I'm going to the beach but the water is still a little hard yet..
It's best to stay busy Mark.

n2ize
03-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Both my doc and my dentist back in the fifties smoked like a house afire. Dentist did smoke Camels. He'd cut them in half with a scalpel, and he'd smoke one half in an FDR-like cigarette holder while he awaited the timer to ring after applying fluoride/antiseptic (obviously a commie) after cleaning my teeth. Ol' Doc Roach always lit up a Lucky when he'd sit at his desk to write out a scrip or make notes in my file.

Nobody much thought about it then. Hospital waiting rooms all had ashtrays, too.

Ralph Bellamy used to have a TV show called "Man Against Crime," at the end of which he used to announce that week's "gift Camels" which were being sent to VA hospitals around the nation.

Yes, I remember those days. Smoking was the norm then. Doctors offices, hospitals, waiting rooms, law offices, banks, department stores, etc. Everyone smoked. Most of my aunts & uncles smoked. My Mom & Dad didn't smoke. I smoked but I was never able to develop a real tobacco habit. Any time I smoked or used tobacco I would stop soon thereafter. These days I might treat myself to a pouch of chewing tobacco or an occasional pipe once in a while. That's about it.

kd8dey
03-17-2011, 01:07 PM
My Dad told me the story behind "I'd walk a mile for a Camel".....

NQ6U
03-17-2011, 01:30 PM
My Dad told me the story behind "I'd walk a mile for a Camel".....

A bizarre form of bestiality?

W3MIV
03-17-2011, 01:56 PM

I feel your joy. Congratulations, there are few things you can do for yourself that have a better long-term result. Live long and prosper.

kd8dey
03-17-2011, 02:37 PM
A bizarre form of bestiality?

Death row inmate whose execution was to be broadcast (radio) was supposedly paid by Pall Mall (To his future widow ) to plug their smokes.

When the time came.........

KC2UGV
03-17-2011, 02:43 PM

Congrats!

I'm working on it (Not counting "cheats", like smoking at the bar while drunk).... 8 weeks thus far :)

NQ6U
03-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Death row inmate whose execution was to be broadcast (radio) was supposedly paid by Pall Mall (To his future widow ) to plug their smokes.

When the time came.........

Boy, that's really sick.

W3MIV
03-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Boy, that's really sick.

I agree. It would have been so much more tasteful had it been Chesterfield.

w2amr
03-18-2011, 03:25 AM
I feel your joy. Congratulations, there are few things you can do for yourself that have a better long-term result. Live long and prosper.The living longer part was the prime motivation.:mrgreen:

w2amr
03-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Congrats!

I'm working on it (Not counting "cheats", like smoking at the bar while drunk).... 8 weeks thus far :)Drinking can be one of those triggers they talk about. Since I don't drink it wasn't an issue for me. But man those cravings after dinner.........