PDA

View Full Version : Arrows ?

n2ize
03-17-2010, 05:14 AM
Where can I get cheap wooden arrows these days ? I went online to find a new bow string and some arrows and all I could find are very expensive carbon hunting arrows. All I want are the old fashioned cheap target or blunt arrows, so I can cut off the point, attach a weight and a string and fire up my antenna line.

KG4CGC
03-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Wally Wurld ... evil ...
Has 6 dollar ones. Probably illegal in your state.
I considered them as antenna elements but they are not metal and not anything else I can determine.

n2ize
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Wally Wurld ... evil ...
I considered them as antenna elements but they are not metal and not anything else I can determine.

Probably carbon fibre. It's ok... arrows are legal here.

KG4CGC
03-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Wally Wurld ... evil ...

Probably carbon fibre. It's ok... arrows are legal here.
Oh, I must be thinking about the "Pointy Stick" law up there then.

w3bny
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Meh...

Go to Waltermart... get a wrist rocket, a 10 buck zebco reel special, a 6oz or so lead eggie sinker, a 6 inch piece of 1/2 in PVC conduit, some stainless hose clamps and a six pack o beverage...

Put it all on the table..... and do some hard thunkin.... :cheers: :wall:

You just saved oh...85 bucks or so.

KG4CGC
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't think a Wrist Rocket has enough elastic cohones to toss a 6oz egg more than about 15 ... 20 feet vertically.
Now a surf rod will cast a line at least 2 to 3 miles.

w3bny
03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't think a Wrist Rocket has enough elastic cohones to toss a 6oz egg more than about 15 ... 20 feet vertically.
Now a surf rod will cast a line at least 2 to 3 miles.

ORLY?

I was slinging it over tops of oak trees at the inlaws house in Nawth Kakalakee.

KG4CGC
03-17-2010, 12:45 PM
6oz???
OK, maybe mine was wore out but I gave up on that method when it wouldn't get the job done with a 2oz sinker.

N9FE
03-17-2010, 12:50 PM
What !! No Boyscout camp in your area that you could knockover.. :D :D

w3bny
03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
if the tubing is shot.. yes. I agree with ya but with good tubing you can put that eggie quite a bit a ways away....and depending on the distance. with somewhat lethal velocity. WHAKO

n2ize
03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I have a wrist rocket. But I need a new strap for it. I have never tried using it for raising an antenna line but, it seems like it would have the power to do the job. I do kn ow the bow and arrow would work because I have used it before. it will pull a line to the tops of the trees easy. I might try the sling shot. If for any reason it doesn't work the bow will be ready.

w3bny
03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Im surprised you all never saw this guy..nor paid big money for it. Cuz I shure the hell wasn't going to!

https://ezhang.com/

KG4CGC
03-17-2010, 06:02 PM
EasyHang™ is a great idea. I thought of it first back in the 90's before I ever heard of someone thinking about it first?
Last time I was out back flinging lead into the trees, I staked down the fishing rod in the usual fashion and let out some line. I stood behind the set up with my WR and used a 2 oz sinker to fire into the trees. Took a few tries actually.
New idea now, surf rod and a high arching cast FTW!

KC9ECI
03-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Meh...

Go to Waltermart... get a wrist rocket, a 10 buck zebco reel special, a 6oz or so lead eggie sinker, a 6 inch piece of 1/2 in PVC conduit, some stainless hose clamps and a six pack o beverage...

Put it all on the table..... and do some hard thunkin.... :cheers: :wall:

You just saved oh...85 bucks or so.

I laugh every time I see some sucker with one of them. I did like you did, trip to wally world for the slingshot, but I already had a box of Zebco 202's out in the disaster I call a garage. The local farm and barn store has a slingshot for lobbing tennis balls for your dog to chase that I seen one local ham set up for stringing antennas.

n2ize
03-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Problem with a surf rod is that you cannot aim accurately, With the bow and arrow I can fire the line over the exact branch where I want the aerial to hang from.

Seems like cheap wood arrows are no longer available. Everything is $30, $50, and more for glass or carbon arrows. Looks like I am going to have to make my own arrow for the job.

KG4CGC
03-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Problem with a surf rod is that you cannot aim accurately, With the bow and arrow I can fire the line over the exact branch where I want the aerial to hang from.

Seems like cheap wood arrows are no longer available. Everything is $30, $50, and more for glass or carbon arrows. Looks like I am going to have to make my own arrow for the job.
The way the trees are around here, you just want to go over the top. I can aim pretty good with a rod even with my shoulder injury.

N5RLR
03-18-2010, 03:52 AM
...Looks like I am going to have to make my own arrow for the job.
Off the top of my head...I wonder if a mini-blind adjustment rod would work. :think

N8YX
03-18-2010, 07:17 AM
I made a launcher with an old spin casting reel and a wrist-rocket style slingshot which has an extended frame. I can get almost 6 feet of "draw" with the rig and it has no trouble at all when it comes to launching a 1oz sinker into the stratosphere.

We've put many a leader line into the trees with the thing. Crosman made the slingshot and I have no idea if this model is still available.

N9FE
03-18-2010, 08:01 AM
...Looks like I am going to have to make my own arrow for the job.
Off the top of my head...I wonder if a mini-blind adjustment rod would work. :think
Yep or a fiberglass tent stake.

n0iu
03-18-2010, 11:17 AM
All I want are the old fashioned cheap target or blunt arrows, so I can cut off the point, attach a weight and a string and fire up my antenna line.
What a wuss! If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly and make a pneumatic potato gun and really get that antenna up in the trees!

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/UPTHERE_2.jpg

w3bny
03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
What a wuss! If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly and make a pneumatic potato gun and really get that antenna up in the trees!

Potato gun? What a wuss.. If your gonna be a bear...

[attachment=0:20w8a1sl]81mm_mortar.jpg[/attachment:20w8a1sl]

KG4CGC
03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
That's nothing.

I'll start this by saying, it wasn't me as a kid...but very EASILY could have been.

Around age 10 my dad got me one of those little badass long bow beginner kits. Of course, the first month I went around our land sticking arrows in anything that could get stuck by an arrow. Did you know that a 1955 40 horse Farmall tractor will take 6 rounds before it goes down? Tough SOB.

That got boring, so being the 10 yr. old Dukes of Hazzard fan that I was, I quickly advanced to taking strips of cut up T-shirt doused in chainsaw gas tied around the end and was sending flaming arrows all over the place. Keep in mind this was 99.999% humidity swampland so there really wasn’t any fire danger. I’ll put it this way - a set of post hole diggers and 3 ft. hole and you had yourself a well.

One summer afternoon, I was shooting flaming arrows into a large rotten oak stump in our backyard. I looked over under the carport and see a shiny brand new can of starting fluid (ether). The light bulb went off. I grabbed the can set it on the stump. I thought that it would probably just spray out in a disappointing manner…let’s face it to a 10 yr. old mouth-breather like myself ether really doesn’t “sound” flammable. So, I went back into the house and got a 1 pound can of dad’s muzzleloader pyrodex. At this point , I set the can of ether on the stump and opened up the can of black powder. My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the ether can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie…1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz. either should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Heck with that. I’m going back in the house for the other can. Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too.

Now we’re cookin.’ I stepped back about 15 ft. and lit the 2 stroke arrow. I drew the nock to my cheek and let fly. As I released I heard a swish as the arrow launched from my bow. In a slow motion time frame, I turned to see my dad getting out of the truck…OH CRAP he just got home from work. So help me God it took 10 minutes for that arrow to go from my bow to the can. My dad was walking towards me in slow motion with a WTF look in his eyes. I turned back towards my target just in time to see the arrow pierce the starting fluid can right at the bottom. Right through the main pile of pyrodex and into the can. Oh. Hell. When the shock wave hit it knocked me off my feet. I don’t know if it was the actual compression wave that threw me back or just reflex jerk back from 235 MF’n decibel of sound. I caught a half a millisecond glimpse of the violence during the initial explosion and I will tell you there was dust, grass, and bugs all hovering 1 ft. above the ground as far as I could see.

It was like a little low to the gound layer of dust fog full of grass hoppers, spiders, and a crawfish or two. The daylight turned purple. Let me repeat this…THE DAMN DAYLIGHT TURNED PURPLE…There was a big sweetgum tree out by the gate going into the pasture. Notice I said “was”. That mother got up and ran off.. So here I am, on the ground blown completely out of my shoes with my thundercats T-shirt shredded, my dad is on the other side of the carport having what I can only assume is a Vietnam flashback. ECHO BRAVO CHARLIE YOU BRINGIN’EM IN TOO CLOSE!! CEASE FIRE GOLLDAMIT CEASE FIRE!!!!!

His hat has blown off and is 30 ft. behind him in the driveway. All windows on the north side of the house are blown out and there is slow rolling mushroom cloud about 2000 ft. over our backyard. There is a Honda 185s 3 wheeler parked on the other side of the yard and the fenders are drooped down and are now touching the tires…I wish I knew what I said to my dad at this moment. I don’t know – I know I said something. I couldn’t hear. I couldn’t hear inside my own head. I don’t think he heard me either…not that it would really matter. I don’t remember much from this point on. I said something, felt a sharp pain, and then woke up later. I felt a sharp pain, blacked out, woke up later….repeat his process for an hour or so and you get the idea. I remember at one point my mom had to give me CPR so dad could beat me some more.

Bring him back to life so dad can kill him again. Thanks mom. One thing is for sure…I never had to mow around that stump again. Mom had been bitching about that thing for years and dad never did anything about it. I stepped up to the plate and handled business. Dad sold his muzzleloaders a week or so later. And I still have some sort of bone growth abnormality either from the blast or the beating. Or both. I guess what I’m trying to say is, get your kids into archery. Its good discipline and will teach them skills they can use later on in life.

N8YX
03-19-2010, 06:29 AM
That's nothing.

...I stepped back about 15 ft. and lit the 2 stroke arrow...
Rule One when playing with incendiaries and explosives alike:

Distance is Your Friend.

ETA:

My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the ether can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie…1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz. either should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Heck with that. I’m going back in the house for the other can. Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too.

Black powder burns with a "whoosh" when ignited in the open, emitting flame and large volumes of gas. It doesn't become explosive unless confined. The ether explosion would have blown most of the black powder away from the area before it could ignite.

Whomever wrote that piece makes it like he set off an IND in his backyard.

KG4CGC
03-19-2010, 12:17 PM
That's nothing.
[quote]...I stepped back about 15 ft. and lit the 2 stroke arrow...
Rule One when playing with incendiaries and explosives alike:

Distance is Your Friend.

ETA:

My intentions were to sprinkle a little bit around the ether can but it all sorta dumped out on me. No biggie…1 lb. pyrodex and 16 oz. either should make a loud pop, kinda like a firecracker you know? You know what? Heck with that. I’m going back in the house for the other can. Yes, I got a second can of pyrodex and dumped it too.

Black powder burns with a "whoosh" when ignited in the open, emitting flame and large volumes of gas. It doesn't become explosive unless confined. The ether explosion would have blown most of the black powder away from the area before it could ignite.

Whomever wrote that piece makes it like he set off an IND in his backyard.[/quote:2pivnks0]
The assembly of the device and the result didn't make much sense but like any good fishing story ... lulz!

n2ize
03-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Open or non airtight cans of ether exposed to air can eventually form ether peroxides. Which can in turn detonate spontaneously.