PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Hamfest Peek at New Kenwood

KG4CGC
03-15-2010, 11:26 PM
[youtube:34c3surv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_GCvYfbKgA[/youtube:34c3surv]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_GCvYfbKgA

It's pretty, but I guess we still won't know quite yet if it's more rehash or not.

N8YX
03-16-2010, 04:43 AM
I wonder when - if ever - Kenwood is going to once again get serious and build a real flagship HF rig ... :wall

ka4dpo
03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
It looks just like the TS-570. I don't see anything to get excited about.

N4VGB
03-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I wonder when - if ever - Kenwood is going to once again get serious and build a real flagship HF rig ... :wall

Around here, most hams consider Kenwood a dead brand. All wonder what happened to them.

KA5PIU
03-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Hello.

The last exciting radio Kenwood came out with was the TH-f6a talkie.
But, it is not just Kenwood, but also Amateur Radio, that is nearly dead.
Think about this, a small production run on cellphones for the US market can easily exceed the total number of all of the hams in all of North America combined.
Add to this the fact that most hams are cheap and you have a very slim incentive to produce anything really new.

N9FE
03-27-2010, 01:55 AM
Right.. Theres no money in the ham market. There commercial stuff is pretty much it.

kf4jqd
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
I still have my 20+ year old TS440SAT. The only other radio is better is the TS850. My friend who sold me the radio bought a TS2000. We used both radios on Field day one year. He swears the 440 has a better receive on it!

Andy KF4JQD

W3WN
04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
I've found the TS-480 disappointing.

Frankly, my Corsair II receives a lot better than it does. The bells & whistles are nice, sure, but when they overshadow the main purpose of the rig (ie operating), what good are they?

N8YX
04-20-2010, 09:04 AM
I still have my 20+ year old TS440SAT. The only other radio is better is the TS850. My friend who sold me the radio bought a TS2000. We used both radios on Field day one year. He swears the 440 has a better receive on it!

Andy KF4JQD
In a multi-multi setup (such as my main operating position, for example), the '440's receiver will de-sense and fold up should a nearby transmitter come on the air.

There are a number of older rigs (Drake's 7-line stuff being one such example) which won't.

The '440 is a nice radio - I really wouldn't want to part with mine - but IMO, it was designed for mobile (isolated) use and as such doesn't incorporate a stout enough front end for decent IP3 figures when operated in an RF-rich environment.

N4VGB
04-20-2010, 04:26 PM

Andy KF4JQD
In a multi-multi setup (such as my main operating position, for example), the '440's receiver will de-sense and fold up should a nearby transmitter come on the air.

There are a number of older rigs (Drake's 7-line stuff being one such example) which won't.

The '440 is a nice radio - I really wouldn't want to part with mine - but IMO, it was designed for mobile (isolated) use and as such doesn't incorporate a stout enough front end for decent IP3 figures when operated in an RF-rich environment.

Not really trying to defend the 440 just because I own one, BUT that problem is common to many "rice boxes" of the era. I had an old ham neighbor that cursed me to all other hams around here because I "tore up" his FT-1000 on all bands when I operated CW on any band or even local low power SSB on 10 meters! :rofl:

A few Polaroid pics of my two tone SSB signal and a couple of my CW signal on a 141T spectrum analyzer along with a note to call the FCC anytime he desired settled the matter for his "extra class arse". :mrgreen:

KB3LAZ
04-21-2010, 05:39 AM

Andy KF4JQD

Not really trying to defend the 440 just because I own one, BUT that problem is common to many "rice boxes" of the era. I had an old ham neighbor that cursed me to all other hams around here because I "tore up" his FT-1000 on all bands when I operated CW on any band or even local low power SSB on 10 meters! :rofl:

A few Polaroid pics of my two tone SSB signal and a couple of my CW signal on a 141T spectrum analyzer along with a note to call the FCC anytime he desired settled the matter for his "extra class arse". :mrgreen:

No matter according to some ham radio is nearly dead or already dead therefore you wont ever have a ham neighbor. :roll:

I have 20 ops within 5 miles of me that I can count off of the top my head....so.....yeah.

W3WN
04-21-2010, 10:50 AM

Andy KF4JQD

Did you have the heat shrink compound around the 440's CPU replaced yet? If not, you might be overdue for it. A common problem... ran into it when KQ3DX (now NB3C) loaned me his a few years back; the repair cost at the time from Kenwood was a little over a hundred bucks, not sure what it is now (assuming they still do the work). Pity, as I liked the rig overall.

I've seen that desense problem before... and I have it every time WQ3T (who lives about 2 blocks from me) fires up.

N8YX
04-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Did you have the heat shrink compound around the 440's CPU replaced yet? If not, you might be overdue for it. A common problem... ran into it when KQ3DX (now NB3C) loaned me his a few years back; the repair cost at the time from Kenwood was a little over a hundred bucks, not sure what it is now (assuming they still do the work). Pity, as I liked the rig overall.
You're talking the potting compound around VCO5? Yep...picked it outta there, replaced some humidity-damaged components then reassembled the rig after re-potting the new parts.

Got a steal of a deal on a loaded, non-functioning R-5000 which exhibited the same problem.

Also have a stash of spare VCO-related components on hand in case the problem recurs.

W3WN
04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
You're talking the potting compound around VCO5? Yep...picked it outta there, replaced some humidity-damaged components then reassembled the rig after re-potting the new parts.

Got a steal of a deal on a loaded, non-functioning R-5000 which exhibited the same problem.

Also have a stash of spare VCO-related components on hand in case the problem recurs.
Yes, that's exactly it. Those who know what the problem is & how to fix it have gotten some real bargains on rigs that were thought to be all dead, but because of the potting compound were only mostly dead.

KA5PIU
04-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Hello.

Yes, you may have 20 hams within 5 miles.
But, what is the number of cellphone users in that same area?
I say this not to upset but to motivate.
We need to find something exciting about Amateur Radio.
The big draw in the past was the autopatch.
This "Hinternet" bit was short lived, thank god, replaced by wide area WiFi.
So, what does ham radio do really well?
Well, first off, PCS carriers like Cricket have No backup plan, nothing.
They have, at the most, 2 hours of battery power.
A lot of people have switched to VoIP.
Guess what the backup plan is for that?
Be it Time Warner or AT&T, on the consumer level there is nothing, you bring your own UPS.
And, lets say you do have a UPS, what, 1 hour tops?
A massive power failure would quickly leave the community without communications.
So, what are people going to do, go to a pay phone? oops, they no longer exist in most places.
None of this whacker crap, just train for what will happen.
A massive blackout is just a matter of time.

VE7DCW
04-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Hello.

Be it Time Warner or AT&T, on the consumer level there is nothing, you bring your own UPS.
A massive power failure would quickly leave the community without communications.
So, what are people going to do, go to a pay phone? oops, they no longer exist in most places.

Is it just me who's having a hard time trying to figure out Rudy's wrong turn brick wall crash posting having anything to do with a peek at a new Kenwood? :-?

Yikes!!

N8YX
04-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Is it just me who's having a hard time trying to figure out Rudy's wrong turn brick wall crash posting having anything to do with a peek at a new Kenwood?
You are not alone in this.

W3WN
04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Is it just me who's having a hard time trying to figure out Rudy < snip >
Nope.

KA5PIU
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Hello.

Connection,,,.
Somebody pointed out that Kenwood has not done anything really new.
This is true, there are not any super exciting products out in the Amateur world today, it is all pretty straight forward.
And, the number of Amateur radio operators is dropping, even with the NCT thing.
Amateur Radio is about Communications, however John Q Public has the Cellphone and Internet.
And, that is where the strong point in Amateur Radio lies, our equipment is straight forward, and for this reason it Will work when all else has failed.
And, that, and not some glitzy new radio, is our big selling point.

W3WN
04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Rudy, when you go off on a tangent like that, and don't explain how you got off on the tangent, it sounds like you've slipped off your meds again.

Regardless, the issue at hand is Kenwood and their alleged new product(s) for Dayton. Let's stick to that.

N8YX
04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Regardless, the issue at hand is Kenwood and their alleged new product(s) for Dayton. Let's stick to that.
In other wordies...quit jackin' the dayum thread like they do elsewheres!

:rofl:

W3WN
04-22-2010, 11:10 PM

bingo

KB3LAZ
04-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Hello.

Ah yes but you are viewing it as a service only...look at it as a hobby as many do and the numbers are not that bad at all.

As for a draw I disagree. If people are interested they will come on their own if not "thems the breaks".

KB3LAZ
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM

bingo

Im good at hijacking threads unintentionally...and intentionally. In this case it is the former rather than the latter. Erm well at least I added to the distraction of the topic at hand.

20 hr work day forgive me if I am yammering incoherently.

N8YX
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Pix of 20hr day or it doesn't count. :naughty

kf0rt
04-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Ah yes but you are viewing it as a service only...look at it as a hobby as many do and the numbers are not that bad at all.

As for a draw I disagree. If people are interested they will come on their own if not "thems the breaks".

Truth.

When I got my first license (1970), there were about 275K hams in the US. Well over double that today, and most outsiders ask "why would that be interesting today, when there's the Internet and cell phones?"

The service aspect has been overplayed for a lotta years now.

KB3LAZ
04-24-2010, 03:46 AM

My paycheck would disagree with you. There is nothing at work worth taking a picture of anyway.

N8YX
04-24-2010, 05:35 AM

My paycheck would disagree with you. There is nothing at work worth taking a picture of anyway.
That's the standard ARFCom disclaimer, by the way. Any time someone makes a claim or asks a question (usually involving relationship advice...) the board follows up with 'Pix or GTFO!'. Or something to that effect. :dance

VK3ZL
04-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Somehow Kenwood lost their way making quality transceivers....I still have a complete TS-830S station here and use it occasionally...The TS-850S was probably the last decent rig they produced....As I am exclusively on 160 meters CW I have had the opportunity to trial many transceivers of all the popular makers....I have an FT-1000 which I purchased in 1993 and two FT1000D units...Without reserve I consider these radios far superior to anything else I have used including the newest Tentec line and Elecraft...Until you have spent many years operating topband you will not appreciate the finer points of how well a receiver operates no matter what specs are printed in reviews on the popular sites...Most of that stuff is to sell radios to average Joe ham who is impressed by figures rather than first hand operating facts..It would be great if Kenwood produced another radio as fine as the 830-950 lineup...Those were excellent radios..They lost the way when they produced the TS-2000.

Bob..VK3ZL..

N8YX
04-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Somehow Kenwood lost their way making quality transceivers....I still have a complete TS-830S station here and use it occasionally...The TS-850S was probably the last decent rig they produced....As I am exclusively on 160 meters CW I have had the opportunity to trial many transceivers of all the popular makers....I have an FT-1000 which I purchased in 1993 and two FT1000D units...Without reserve I consider these radios far superior to anything else I have used including the newest Tentec line and Elecraft..
I am currently in the market for a MkV Field and a -D (or two). Agreed re: quality of their receivers. My current SO2R setup consists of two TS-940S/R-5000 pairs and as dated as the rigs are they're still very good performers.