PDA

View Full Version : Mosley antennas - thoughts?

N8YX
03-12-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm in the planning stages for what will eventually be a multi-tower setup and am looking at various antennas.

Of course, the Pro-96-S immediately caught my eye. :yes:

I don't have enough real estate at the moment (width-wise) to accommodate one but will in a few years time. Until then I'm looking at a TA-54-XLN-6, and that one will likely be used as the "multiplier" antenna once I get the '96 in the air.

Any of you folks have experience with Mosley products? Worth it, or not? I like the ruggedness of construction they offer and only want to outlay that kind of cash once.

http://www.mosley-electronics.com/images/ta54xln6.jpg

http://www.mosley-electronics.com/image%20files/amateur%20page/pro963.jpg

N9FE
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
The constuction is about the same on most. The traps are the buggers. Keeping the water out is the biggest problem. IMHO I would not buy new. There are many many large type beams for sale, Some very cheap.

N8YX
03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
IMHO I would not buy new. There are many many large type beams for sale, Some very cheap.
That's what I'm figuring on doing.

'96 on one tower...'54 on another...some sort of 6-30 or 10-30MHz log on a third. Above each HF array will be a 6, 2 or 432-mhz setup. I already have the VHF/UHF stuff, and am looking around for the rest.

ad4mg
03-13-2010, 07:39 AM
I don't personally own a tower, but I've installed several Mosley antennas for friends. I found performance to be pretty much as claimed. The antennas are well constructed, and I never had any issues during assembly or construction, and I recall the assembly instructions were well written and easy to follow.

Water in the traps is a concern, but if, during assembly, you make sure those drain holes are dead center on the bottom, you shouldn't have any problem with that.

So, my personal experience with Mosley is totally positive!

n2ize
03-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Well, I still have an original can of "Mosely Weather Guard" antenna coating that I bought at Lafayette Radio Electronics back when i was in high school. It's turned yellow but it's still usable after all these years. And guess what... I was surprised to find they still make the stuff.

NA4BH
03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
I have a TA-33 senior in the garage. I am waiting for the exact point that I can "TICK" off the neighborhood and have the funnest impact on them. A friend has one and with minimal care, he has never had a problem.

EDIT TO ADD: He has his on a hazer which makes service a snap.

KG4CGC
03-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Is there a row of drain holes at the bottom or just one?

NA4BH
03-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Is there a row of drain holes at the bottom or just one?

If that is directed to me, there are two holes. Each about 1/4 distance from the ends of each trap.

K8PG
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
:rock: Hello Om,

I have the Mosley Pro 67-c3 a 7 element-7 band antenna
Mosleys are not your average built antenna-average usefull
yrs is 20 plus-my antenna has 14 traps and the drip holes on
them and the elements must be installed exactly as instructed
for the antenna to drain and breath correctly-mine has been
threw 3 Up Mi. winters and winds up to 73 mph/ice/snow/sleet
-swr has not changed-this antenna is Not a Build and Play,
most Mosleys are not-they require some Tweaking-You pay
for what you get-heavy wall aircraft aluminum and ss hard-
ware-a lot of people do not like them because you need to play
and tweak them.My elmer had a Mosley for 36 yrs-I like my
yagi.Getter Done

Paul K8PG

kf4jqd
04-25-2010, 08:29 AM
I also like this antenna. Keep those drain holes clear. I didn't see anyone mentioning about the rotator. Make sure you get one rated for the antenna. Believe it or not, there's people who does not pay attention to that!

Andy KF4JQD