PDA

View Full Version : NT9K Pro-Pump - SKCC Club Key 2010 Version

KC9ECI
03-09-2010, 10:25 PM
These are the first keys being marketed by a new key manufacturer. Last I heard they would be taking orders by the end of the week.
http://www.skccgroup.com/nt9k/keyconcepts/keys.html

http://www.skccgroup.com/nt9k/keyconcepts/images/propump_a.jpg
http://www.skccgroup.com/nt9k/keyconcepts/images/propump_d.jpg
http://www.skccgroup.com/nt9k/keyconcepts/images/propump_b.jpg

The first key was designed by Bill Crosier, NT9K and branded for the Straight Key Century Club. Following this introductory run for the SKCC, planning is to begin production on various other styles and designs.

This key will be called the NT9K Pro-Pump - SKCC Club Key 2010 Version. It will weigh in at about 4 pounds. The weight comes from all the half inch thick brass parts and the half inch thick powder coated steel base. The key base measures 8 7/8th by 2 1/2 inches.

The key makes use of ball bearings for a fast and smooth action. Balance and physics of the lever's mass, insures precision feel and tactile response as the large 1/4 inch contacts come to close with just the right amount of flex and bounce. Careful attention to the materials the contact strips are made from, gives this key a professional action and may allow you to send for longer periods of time with less fatigue.

The expected sale price of this key is $174.95 plus shipping and we hope to begin taking orders soon..

Also in progress from Key Concepts are the Patriot, Minute Man and a yet to be named sideswiper.

The Patriot being a smaller light weight pump style key suited for daily use by American and European style operators.

The Minute Man will be a nice light weight mini key for portable use in the field, on its leg strap or mobile.

Please note, these photos are of the prototype key. There will be SKCC lettering on top of the lever. We will post the production photos as soon as possible.

We hope to introduce several high quality keys at affordable prices by the end of the year. Our website is just beginning. Please check back often as we post new information.

N4VGB
03-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Brass and steel, very nice. :agree:

KC9ECI
03-09-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm told mine is going to ship sometime this week. I hope to be able to use it for the first time this weekend for the Wisconsin QSO Party if it gets here in time. If not, the Bulgarian surplus coffin key will work well enough.

N8YX
03-10-2010, 06:41 AM
I've been looking for a good straight key...might have to check these out. Will the manufacturer be at Dayton?

W3WN
03-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Very impressive, although I don't need one.

KC9ECI
03-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I've been looking for a good straight key...might have to check these out. Will the manufacturer be at Dayton?

No clue, but I can look in to that later today.

KC9ECI
03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Orders are now being accepted. Pass the word to any interested parties you might know. You heard it here first, not eHam or that other site....can't recall the name, starts with a Q.

N4VGB
03-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Oh good grief, I just keep coming back to the pics.

I really do not need another key, I really do not need another key, I really do not need another key, over and over and over.

It's not working.

I think I'm about to order another key. :doh:

W3WN
03-11-2010, 02:10 PM

I really do not need another key, I really do not need another key, I really do not need another key, over and over and over.

It's not working.

It's gorgeous, and if it weren't for one thing, I'd be very tempted.

But when it comes to sending on a straight key, I have a glass elbow. In fact, a glass arm.

It's just something about the way my arm got constructed (or healed after getting banged up as a kid every now & then), if I try to send with a straight key, my arm is in pain. Doesn't matter if it's my trusty old J-38, or some of the modern keys I've seen demo'd at Dayton over the years, I just can't do it.

Now a nice set of paddles... that I might get talked into...

KC9ECI
03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
RE: Dayton, no plans as of this time, but all things are subject to change.

WN-wait for the sideswiper.

ad4mg
03-13-2010, 07:46 AM

It's not working.

Don't fret, Mack, this key looks like the perfect reward for myself for once again becoming gainfully employed! :lol:

Plus, it appears to be a beautiful piece of work, and I think I just gotta have one! I have a well used, well maintained set of Brass Racer paddles, but just a crummy, no-name straight key.

I see an order being placed from here by the end of the month! :dance

W5IEI
03-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Luke,
You're back to work?
Congrats!!!!!
Nice looking key too.
Mike
SKCC #10

N4VGB
03-13-2010, 02:27 PM
It's gorgeous, and if it weren't for one thing, I'd be very tempted.

But when it comes to sending on a straight key, I have a glass elbow. In fact, a glass arm.

It's just something about the way my arm got constructed (or healed after getting banged up as a kid every now & then), if I try to send with a straight key, my arm is in pain. Doesn't matter if it's my trusty old J-38, or some of the modern keys I've seen demo'd at Dayton over the years, I just can't do it.

Now a nice set of paddles... that I might get talked into...

And that's the really dumb part of me wanting this key. I've been on Lipitor for years now and all statin drugs tend to cause muscle cramps in some people and I'm one of them. It's a short run situation on straight keys for me before having to switch over to paddles. Even paddles aren't 100% for me, sometimes my hands draw into weird contortions. :twisted:

There's no way off the Lipitor for me, I'm one of those whose liver just produces way too much cholesterol, even while on a cholesterol free diet. I did that miserable diet for 3 months and when my blood was checked, my blood cholesterol level had risen a few points! :shock: :rofl:

Of course none of it is a problem with no operating station at this time. But I got plans!

ad4mg
03-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Luke,
You're back to work?
Congrats!!!!!
Nice looking key too.
Mike
SKCC #10
Yeah, finally! A little over eight months in the soup line, thanks, Mike!

We gotta hook up when I finish getting the rig back together (soon!), and exchange SKCC numbers. I'm #007 ... :D

N4VGB
03-13-2010, 08:07 PM
We gotta hook up when I finish getting the rig back together (soon!), and exchange SKCC numbers. I'm #007 ... :D

007!!! :shock: :rofl:

Who did you bribe to get that number? :lol:

Congrats on being employed again.

ad4mg
03-13-2010, 08:21 PM

Thanks, Mack!

The 007 number came from being in the right place at the right time ... pure luck! :lol:

I was around on QRZ when Tom was kicking around the idea of making Straight Key Night a year-around event. Best I remember, a number of us were fooling around on the 'zed when Tom put the web site up. We all grabbed a number, then got on the air and started swapping them around! It was like 12 of us the first week ... next time I checked the site there were hundreds of members, and now they are issuing 4 digit numbers, and nearing 7,000 members. Amazing how quickly that idea took off!

N4VGB
03-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks, Mack!

The 007 number came from being in the right place at the right time ... pure luck! :lol:

I was around on QRZ when Tom was kicking around the idea of making Straight Key Night a year-around event. Best I remember, a number of us were fooling around on the 'zed when Tom put the web site up. We all grabbed a number, then got on the air and started swapping them around! It was like 12 of us the first week ... next time I checked the site there were hundreds of members, and now they are issuing 4 digit numbers, and nearing 7,000 members. Amazing how quickly that idea took off!

Remember when SKN was really laid back and guys would use some of the clicking, chirpiest antique stuff you ever heard in your life and occassionally the buzz saw note of a spark gap could be heard?

N7RJD
03-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Don't fret, Mack, this key looks like the perfect reward for myself for once again becoming gainfully employed! :lol:

I'm employed. Is the gainfully part a requirement? :rofl: :rofl:

w2amr
03-14-2010, 05:26 AM
While on the topic, I picked this key up years ago at a fester. I'm not much for CW. Anybody know what it is? Looks like there was a plate attached to the left side of it. The plate is gone, but the rivets are still there.
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20100314/031022.jpg

N8YX
03-14-2010, 06:53 AM
While on the topic, I picked this key up years ago at a fester. I'm not much for CW. Anybody know what it is? Looks like there was a plate attached to the left side of it. The plate is gone, but the rivets are still there.
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20100314/031022.jpg
That be a Vibroplex Champion:

http://www.vibroplex.com/out_of_production_keys_CHAMPION_BLACK.jpg

http://www.vibroplex.com/parts_list_champion_2_12_07.pdf

http://vibroplex.com/champion_machine_drawing.pdf

http://vibroplex.com/chamion_adjustments.pdf

Manufactured from 1939-1979.

w2amr
03-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Tnx Fred.

n0iu
03-14-2010, 07:38 AM
But when it comes to sending on a straight key, I have a glass elbow. In fact, a glass arm.I am so on board with this!

I know I might get in trouble for saying this (so what else is new?), but I never understood why people are so enamored with straight keys? I learned CW with iambic paddles over 17 years ago and manage to "plod along" at 35-40 WPM these days.

Best investment? Bencher Mercury paddles! I only wish I could have bought an original Mercury from N2DAN.

I will admit, however, that the one in the opening post appears to be quite a nice piece of engineering.