PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Westell Modem connections to routers

N1LAF
03-07-2010, 06:45 AM
I am sharing this to all in case others came across the same problem I did. My friend upgraded her service with AT&T DSL connection, with a new modem. The modem is a Westell F90. I set up her last modem on the Belkin N150 router without problems, connected to the WAN port.

So, I proceeded to connect her new modem up the the router WAN port. Username/password was still on the router, this should be a piece of cake. I connected this new modem to the WAN port, and now the Belkin WAN port icon is blinking amber, and no connection. WTF??

I looked at the bottom of the modem, and it had this http address to connect to it, thought this was cool, configure the modem as needed. So I did, and it had the username and password embedded in the modem itself. But the router had the same information. Connected the modem directly to the computer ethernet, and it worked fine, but refused to work through the router WAN port.

I looked at the bottom of the modem again, and noticed the inscription "ASDL2 + router", and thought no way... son of a gun. Connected the modem to the regular router port like a computer, and it worked.

If you have a Westell F90 modem, don't use the router WAN port, just connect it to the regular LAN port, and it will work.

ka8ncr
03-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Yep, you have to log into the web interface on the modem and set the modem to "passthru" mode if you want to use a different router.

Had to do that to set up the firewall rules to permit the repeater club's IRLP node to work.

N1LAF
03-27-2010, 08:09 PM
My solution did not stand. So the wireless router was removed and the Westell F60 restored to its original place. Since I tried to tackle this a month ago, more public information became available. Ka8ncr was on the right track in that the modem had to be altered in its settings. Found it. When I try it, I'll post it here.

it is recommended to put the westell f90 modem on bridge mode if you want to use a router. then you will have to setup your router to connect on PPPoE. all you need is your att email address and its password.

steps to bridge your Westell F90 DSL modem:
1. Connect the DSL modem directly to one of the computers. (first 4 lights should be solid green)
2. Then pull up Internet Explorer. Go to http://192.168.1.254 website.
3. The 'Connection Information' screen of the modem will come up. Click on 'Advanced' button on the left panel.
4. Select 'PPP Location'.
Note: It might ask for the Modem Access Code. It can be found underneath the DSL modem (yellow sticker).
5. Choose the option, 'Bridged Mode (PPPoE is not Used)'.
6. Save the changes. The modem will restart to save the settings.
Note: Only the 3 lights will be solid green after a successful bridging of the modem.
You will not be able to connect to the internet directly with the modem. Your router needs to be configured to connect thru PPPoE.

http://www.att.com/t5/Routers-and-Home- ... s/m-p/3643 (http://www.att.com/t5/Routers-and-Home-Networks/Westell-F90-Router-Settings/m-p/3643)

N1LAF
03-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Even more information:

It appears that AT&T uses their own software, not the default Westell software. The steps for AT&T access is this:

The F90 modem I was provided does not have the standard Westell software on it. It has a custom AT&T configuration menu that didn’t match the instructions for “Bridged Ethernet Mode”.

1. Plug the LAN cable from modem directly into your PC/laptop
2. Navigate to http://192.168.1.254
3. Under advanced, click “Connection Configuration”
4. Enter the 10-digit access code that is printed on the sticker on the bottom of your modem
5. At the bottom of the connection configuration screen select “Yes, use public IP address.”
6. Click Save Changes.
7. After the modem resets, unplug the LAN cable from the PC/Laptop and plug the cable back into the Internet port on the Linksys
8. Restart the Linksys
9. Connect your Laptop/desktop to the Linksys (via wireless or LAN cable to one of the ports)
10. Smile. You should have Internet access again

How to configure linksys with At&t westell F90

step 1: connect the modem to computer
step 2: Enter the number 192.168.1.254 on address bar.
step 3: on left side click on ADVANCE
step 4: select the option PPP LOCATION and it will ask for the modem access code you can see bottom of the modem
step 5: select PPPOE on router and click on save
step6 :connect the Linksys router
Step7 : Enter the number 192.168.1.1 on the address bar.
step8 : enter linksys Username and password by default ( username : blank password :admin)
step9: left side of you can see connection type
step10: select the connection type pppoe
step11: enter the att user name and password ( primary email address)
step 12: sel the option keep alive redial period 30sec
step 13: bottom click save setting and click continue
step14 : try to browse the web

http://christopherdeweese.com/blog2/pos ... sys-router (http://christopherdeweese.com/blog2/post/make-your-att-westell-f90-work-with-a-linksys-router)

ad4mg
03-28-2010, 06:20 AM
Interesting ... I have the Westell DSL 2200 modem (A90 series), and all I had to do was set my Linksys router to 192.169.2.1 and configure the PPPoE login at the router to the modem.

I have Verizon DSL. Maybe they didn't alter the Westell's firmware.

N1LAF
03-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Interesting ... I have the Westell DSL 2200 modem (A90 series), and all I had to do was set my Linksys router to 192.169.2.1 and configure the PPPoE login at the router to the modem.

What Westell did was add a one-port router to their modem, and make the router the default mode.

ad4mg
03-28-2010, 06:32 AM

What Westell did was add a one-port router to their modem, and make the router the default mode.
OK. The Verizon software that came with the install kit used to make the PPPoE connection for the one computer previously connected to the modem, then I bridged the two network cards in that machine to share the internet connection. Not a good way to do this, so I soon switched to the WRT54G router to handle the task, plus provide wireless.

I've had the same ISP and plan here for nearly 10 years. Locked Verizon into the price ($29.99) for the 3MB DSL on their initial offer. I'm set with cheap internet until the day they run fiber into the neighborhood!

KC2UGV
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM

OK. The Verizon software that came with the install kit used to make the PPPoE connection for the one computer previously connected to the modem, then I bridged the two network cards in that machine to share the internet connection. Not a good way to do this, so I soon switched to the WRT54G router to handle the task, plus provide wireless.

I've had the same ISP and plan here for nearly 10 years. Locked Verizon into the price ($29.99) for the 3MB DSL on their initial offer. I'm set with cheap internet until the day they run fiber into the neighborhood!

I did the same thing about 5 years ago, with the 3MB/sec for 29.99. Only problem? My copper string is too long, and it actually physically damaged two DSL routers by having the speed too high.

So, now, I pay 19.99 a month for 1.5Mb after we figured that one out. BTW, those Verizon guys (If you get the right one) are pretty smart.

N1LAF
04-03-2010, 06:57 AM
** Update **

I logged into the modem and checked out the advanced settings, and it was already set up correctly (Yes, use public IP address.) and the modem by itself works properly, so it had to be the router.

The router worked fine in the past, and the only thing different was the new modem. The user name and password was as it was prior.

Called Belkin, explained the situation, and he said to "Factory Restore Defaults" on the router page, or something like that. I clicked it, and the modem connected to the router correctly, solid green, no more flashing amber.

I have a feeling they have seen this before. There must have been some changes between the two modems that was interfering with the router internal settings. The restore fixed the problem.

Router: Belkin N150 from Walmart.