PDA

View Full Version : Six Thousand.......... DOLLARS?

w2amr
03-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Geez Louise :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=23116.0

N8YX
03-06-2010, 08:49 AM
How much power will one of those put out, George?

w2amr
03-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Mine puts out about 370 watts of carrier using a 4-400 loaded to 300 mills.

N8YX
03-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Hmmm...that's a little more than an FT-9000MP, which (IIRC) is the highest-power modern-day rig available. Since it's $12K for 100w AM carrier (400w PEP), the asking price for that Johnson doesn't sound so bad. Assuming AM is your thing - and your ONLY thing.

FWIW, here's another "Wholly sheet!" listing or three:

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=807919

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=807866

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=795958

w2amr
03-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Hmmm...that's a little more than an FT-9000MP, which (IIRC) is the highest-power modern-day rig available. Since it's $12K for 100w AM carrier (400w PEP), the asking price for that Johnson doesn't sound so bad. Assuming AM is your thing - and your ONLY thing.

FWIW, here's another "Wholly sheet!" listing or three:

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=807919

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=807866

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=795958
I bought it about 15 years ago. I gave the guy $600 for the transmitter and a Johnson KW matchbox. It's amazing where prices have gone in such a short period of time.

N8YX
03-06-2010, 11:17 AM
It's amazing where prices have gone in such a short period of time.
The larger question looms: Will the sellers of such actually get what they're asking, especially in today's economy?

w2amr
03-06-2010, 11:57 AM
The larger question looms: Will the sellers of such actually get what they're asking, especially in today's economy?
Sure, some dumb people are rich too. :snicker:
I can't imagine buying a Johnson 500 for 6 grand, then and flipping it to make a profit.

KB3LAZ
03-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I can't imagine buying a Johnson 500 for 6 grand, then and flipping it to make a profit.

I have two dollars and thirty six cents in my pocket. Think he will sell it to me? :snicker:

W3WN
03-06-2010, 12:24 PM

I have two dollars and thirty six cents in my pocket. Think he will sell it to me? :snicker:
No, but if it'll help, I'll loan you a 20.

w2amr
03-06-2010, 12:36 PM

I doubt he would let you sniff it for $2.36. :lol:

KB3LAZ
03-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I doubt he would let you sniff it for $2.36. :lol:

Hum..well he can keep it. :P Seriously though, 6k?

N4VGB
03-06-2010, 02:12 PM
George, I think K1TLI/Chuck is picking up in the place of W4PNT/Dee, who recently announced his retirement from his long years of restoring Johnson gear for those with very deep pockets. Dee's work on Johnson gear was up there with W3HM/Howard Mills or K0BS/Butch Schartau work on Collins gear.

w2amr
03-06-2010, 02:47 PM
George, I think K1TLI/Chuck is picking up in the place of W4PNT/Dee, who recently announced his retirement from his long years of restoring Johnson gear for those with very deep pockets. Dee's work on Johnson gear was up there with W3HM/Howard Mills or K0BS/Butch Schartau work on Collins gear.
Yeah, I heard he was good.

w2amr
03-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Had the Harley out this afternoon for about an hour and a half. Niiiiiiiiice. :agree:

W2NAP
03-06-2010, 04:13 PM
shit.

dont think the dude will get what he is asking

kb2vxa
03-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm not the least surprised, I've seen restored boat anchors at hamfests where some people... no, make that MOST people think their shit is made of gold. I saw a Valiant clear coated and shiny, you should have seen the angry hornet behind the table when my friend and I started a loud conversation about how the clear coat ruined the original look and I wouldn't give this guy 2c for it. :mrgreen:

w2amr
03-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm not the least surprised, I've seen restored boat anchors at hamfests where some people... no, make that MOST people think their s*** is made of gold. I saw a Valiant clear coated and shiny, you should have seen the angry hornet behind the table when my friend and I started a loud conversation about how the clear coat ruined the original look and I wouldn't give this guy 2c for it. :mrgreen:
That's as bad as Rudy painting vintage gear blue. :lol:

N4VGB
03-06-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not the least surprised, I've seen restored boat anchors at hamfests where some people... no, make that MOST people think their s*** is made of gold. I saw a Valiant clear coated and shiny, you should have seen the angry hornet behind the table when my friend and I started a loud conversation about how the clear coat ruined the original look and I wouldn't give this guy 2c for it. :mrgreen:

Boat anchor radio gear is a lot like classic cars in regards to level of finish. Most of the front panel refinishers of radio gear seem to do great silk screening but then apparently color sand and clear coat the devil out of the panels. Only KK4PK/Ron Hankins seems to keep his HQ-129-X front panels looking near "stock" and of course the Collins experts wouldn't dream of putting a highly polished and clear coated front panel on their finished products.

Almost all of the refinished front panels I've seen on highly restored Johnsons and many other brands of vintage ham gear is way overdone in finish level. There is a definite division among classic car collectors on this question, some prefer as near to original as possible and some prefer restored better than original.

I lean towards as near to original as possible in vintage cars and radio gear.

KB3LAZ
03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Nuuu....you made my post go down one now I have to bump it.

N4VGB
03-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Nuuu....you made my post go down one now I have to bump it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

KA5PIU
03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
That's as bad as Rudy painting vintage gear blue. :lol:

Hello.

I take vintage gear that was modded, extra holes drilled, somehow altered, and almost always damaged, and revive it.
Kind of like taking a 1973 cadillac that had a blown engine and replacing things with that for a 1975 GM pickup.
Nothing like a diesel caddy with 4 on the floor. :mrgreen:
The pedals were made from horseshoes. :mrgreen:
I did this not to make a statement but for transportation, I could not afford anything else at the time.

kb2vxa
03-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Not too shabby and at least you didn't replace the pedals with those goofy looking black and chrome feet. Four on the floor eh? Now tell us, a T bar shifter or a... knob?

KA5PIU
03-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Hello.

My first choice was the feet thing, but could not make that work. :mrgreen:
The shifter was directly out of the pickup truck, along with the pedal linkages, nothing aftermarket about it.
The reason for horseshoes was 2 fold.
First, I needed petals that would fit! remember, the original brake pedal was for an automatic.
The pickup linkage brought everything up to an angle I had trouble with, remember I am a little Mexican, so we hinged all three with heavy metal gate hinges, worked, but looked dumb.
So, 6 horseshoes welded into pairs was the answer.
I very much liked this, as the pedals were now like that of a big truck, hinged on the bottom.
The only thing I did not like was this vacuum operated cruise control that GM used, remember, diesel engine, nothing to make it work! that and power brakes. :-?
But, the factory AM/FM stereo 8-track with CB with factory cassette player and recorder was so totally cool.
2 motorized antennas, one on the right front fender and the other one on the left back.
And, everything looked just so, right!