PDA

View Full Version : 'Apologista' defined

N8YX
03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
An interesting - some would say humorous - look into the mind of the average CB scofflaw:

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Feb%202007/Breaking%20the%20rules.htm

Two ludicrous statements therein -

"...So when a CB user goes out and buys a radio that has an output of 25 watts they really aren't the one to blame. The FCC did not do its job for the last 30 years regulating the large utility companies and the manufacturers of electronics. It’s the FCC’s responsibility to recognize that their own lack of enforcement has led to an increase in interference and that they need to change the current CB regulations to allow for higher output to counter these conditions..."

(It's the FCC's fault I'm an outlaw....yeah, sounds perfectly logical...just like forest fires prevent bears.)

"...With over 30 million CB radio owners in the United States..."

That figure is questionable. In my immediate area, I can count the number of HF antennas in the air on both hands - and I happen to own four of them. We have at most probably 50 active CB users in the greater Akron area and the overall number seems to dwindle yearly.

Now if you're like a few folks I know and own 20 or 30 CBs...

KC2UGV
03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
When I use my CB, it's a properly-aligned, 4 Watts out, plain-jane radio. Nothing fancy, it has SSB, and that's about it.

I make fun of the "Big Guns" when I they can't key over me until they kick on their 2 KW Amplifiers. I keep trying to tell them, it's all about the antenna, and properly tuning their rig, but they don't want to listen.

Most don't believe I'm only putting out 4 watts. Most guess at least 200W. And none believe I'm running mobile, either.

W2NAP
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
When I use my CB, it's a properly-aligned, 4 Watts out, plain-jane radio. Nothing fancy, it has SSB, and that's about it.

I make fun of the "Big Guns" when I they can't key over me until they kick on their 2 KW Amplifiers. I keep trying to tell them, it's all about the antenna, and properly tuning their rig, but they don't want to listen.

Most don't believe I'm only putting out 4 watts. Most guess at least 200W. And none believe I'm running mobile, either.

id much rather have the best antenna and 2 watts. then a shitty antenna with 2,000watts.

w3bny
03-05-2010, 12:51 PM
zzzht...krakle...whine....HOWBOWTYEE NECK BONE...AH SAID HOWBOWTYEE NECKBONE...DAVEMADE UNIT 722 HERE IN THE MUDDY WATER SLAPPER SHOUWTIN OUT DERE AND AH GOTZ DOWN <BOOOWHEEP>

If thats the case its all Smith&Wessons fault for murders getting comitted.

PEH!

W2NAP
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
[youtube:2cunp5wt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPLz2nX0GM[/youtube:2cunp5wt]

n2ize
03-09-2010, 07:14 PM
The whole article is a load of crap. CB was never designed to be a hobby radio service. If they want to engage in long range hobby type communications there is such a thing as a "ham radio license".

n2ize
03-09-2010, 07:15 PM
[youtube:30mw8gao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPLz2nX0GM[/youtube:30mw8gao]

Wow... what a bunch of idiots. What is the purpose of it all ?

WØTKX
03-09-2010, 09:21 PM
One of the funniest things I ever did on a Field Day excursion had an "entry fee" of at least one CB radio. Later, there was a skeet shooting contest, mic cords make excellent throwing slings. :lol:

MN woods hamster stupidity, complete with a large keg of Hamms beer. We "bearly" kept logs. :rofl:

I refused to let them shoot up my 'lil SBE Brute, and I was booed. :oops: Best basic CB I ever owned.

w3bny
03-10-2010, 08:54 AM
One of the funniest things I ever did on a Field Day excursion had an "entry fee" of at least one CB radio. Later, there was a skeet shooting contest, mic cords make excellent throwing slings. :lol:

MN woods hamster stupidity, complete with a large keg of Hamms beer. We "bearly" kept logs. :rofl:

I refused to let them shoot up my 'lil SBE Brute, and I was booed. :oops: Best basic CB I ever owned.

Kegg-o-Hamms?!?! d00d.. I need to field day where you guys field day.

yer-yer-yer fffive<urp>nine in...Hiram...were the hell are we.... yeah five 9 in the woods...

Gawd would Mrs. Bunneh be pissed! :cheers:

WØTKX
03-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Yew well, Hamms beer, get it? :snicker:

Wouldn't a cold Hamms taste good, right now? Funny "Furry" Hamms commercial...

[youtube:bfo06qfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHhETCI5-io[/youtube:bfo06qfc]

KJ3N
03-10-2010, 10:16 AM
The whole article is a load of crap. CB was never designed to be a hobby radio service. If they want to engage in long range hobby type communications there is such a thing as a "ham radio license".
Well, let's not forget that the FCC pulled a real bonehead manuver putting CB on an HF band in the first place. :doh:

The Part 95 rule that says something about no communication beyond (I think) 250 miles is the dumbest rule I've seen. You can't regulate the ionosphere, morons. :roll: :slap:

KC2UGV
03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok, I finally read the article in it's entirety.

I get the guys point, as I'm sure we all do: 4 watts would be plenty if the interference from unintentional radiators and the like was actually policed.

But, that in no way means they should just go flaunting the law. Work to change it, if they were to feel so strongly about it.

Personally, I think CB should be: $5, here's your callsign, you are open to use any mode on the 11M channelized band. If you're a ham, you can use all modes, with a center carrier at the specified channel centers (Akin to 60M).

w3bny
03-10-2010, 11:49 AM

I get the guys point, as I'm sure we all do: 4 watts would be plenty if the interference from unintentional radiators and the like was actually policed.

But, that in no way means they should just go flaunting the law. Work to change it, if they were to feel so strongly about it.

Personally, I think CB should be: $5, here's your callsign, you are open to use any mode on the 11M channelized band. If you're a ham, you can use all modes, with a center carrier at the specified channel centers (Akin to 60M).

Yeah...nice thought...till some Kanadian Koo Koo or flippin 4/5 land miscreant decides it would be lulzy to lay down 2Kw of RTTY on 27.185

On edit...

That wouldnt be a bad idea though... Make "Da Bowl" the de facto RTTY freq. How j00 like me now mang! RYRYRYRYRYRY

kb2vxa
03-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Trix are for CBers, Hamms are for HAMS! Meet my leetle friend...

N8YX
03-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Trix are for CBers, Hamms are for HAMS! Meet my leetle friend...
You can buy those in HO scale, IIRC. At one time (before I discovered electronics) I was heavily into model railroading - operable layouts and all. Not so much interested in running the trains at this point in my life, but what would really be cool to hang on the wall is a single-track display shelf featuring a train whose consist was nothing but beer-branded cars. :cheers:

W2NAP
03-10-2010, 11:12 PM

Yeah...nice thought...till some Kanadian Koo Koo or flippin 4/5 land miscreant decides it would be lulzy to lay down 2Kw of RTTY on 27.185

On edit...

That wouldnt be a bad idea though... Make "Da Bowl" the de facto RTTY freq. How j00 like me now mang! RYRYRYRYRYRY

how about a winlink station on 27185

kb2vxa
03-11-2010, 03:43 PM
"...what would really be cool to hang on the wall is a single-track display shelf featuring a train whose consist was nothing but beer-branded cars."
My guess is you never heard of an ethanol train. :dance

N8YX
03-11-2010, 05:36 PM
"...what would really be cool to hang on the wall is a single-track display shelf featuring a train whose consist was nothing but beer-branded cars."
My guess is you never heard of an ethanol train. :dance
Ours were in the form of a funnel and a hose. ;)