PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "offbeat" rig?

N8YX
03-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Which non-mainstream rigs hold your interest?

'Mainstream' could be defined as anything which uses the following criteria:

160-10M 100w-output all-mode; general-coverage receiver optional but usually included. Almost always offered by the Big Three.

There are quite a few pieces of gear which deviate from that ideal; most of which incorporate some unique features/selling points.

One of mine - the TS-660:

http://vkfaq.ampr.org/images/TS660_300.jpg

6-10-12-15M; AM/FM/USB/CW. 10w out; synthesized...dual VFOs. IF Shift; 5 scannable memories...provisions for an AM and CW filter. Very hot receiver.

When I first got into the eBay game, I got one of these rigs (which was advertised as "non working") for the princely sum of $180. $150 worth of filters and a couple of cold solder joints later, it's back on the air 100%. I've seen them in similar condition go for north of $500. I keep thinking about selling the thing but for some reason it remains in the shack.

N9FE
03-05-2010, 01:17 PM
If you had one these back in the day, You were king sh#t

N4VGB
03-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Way out of the mainstream and about as offbeat as it comes, Cubic CDR-3280 rcvr. Analog RF front end with roofing filter and last IF at a low 12kc for the last SDR section of the radio.

n0iu
03-06-2010, 07:18 AM
I used a Yaesu FT-7 as my mobile HF rig for years with a hamstick for whatever band I wanted to work. The radio has no menu, no VHF, no UHF, no FM, no squelch, no memory keyer, no memories, no split vfo, no general coverage receive, no dsp, no detachable front panel, no digital display, no WARC bands and was about 20 watts out.

http://www.mydarc.de/dl3mco/Yaesu%20FT-7B.jpg

N8YX
03-06-2010, 08:16 AM
I have a few "sets" of these:

http://www.universal-radio.com/USED/ud76.jpg

Cubic Astro-D.

RX-TX: 1.5-30MHz continuous, no gaps. USA models had a programming resistor in place which would prohibit TX from 26.5-28.0 MHz; all of mine are 'international' models and will transmit across the entire HF spectrum.

Modes: USB/LSB, CW (with no extra filtering), AME.

Built-in TCXO.

As unique as the Astro is, a TS-440SAT will hand the thing its a$$ in every measurable aspect except IP3...the Cubic just barely comes out ahead.

I modified two of mine with SGC ADSP units; the rigs' DPST NB switches have been swapped for a DPDT, center-off momentary switch (of the same type as OEM) and this allows one to select anti-noise, auto-notch or CW filtering. There's a common-mode hum problem that needs to be sorted in order for the DSP units to be usable.

A third Astro had its synthesizer go belly up. Fortunately, I have everything on hand that's needed to fix the problem...I think. :pray:

Bandswitching is accomplished by a set of reed relays and bandpass filters; band information is present on a 15-pin Molex connector that's mounted on the rear panel. (There is no front panel band selection - one just tunes the synthesizer. Tuning rates are selectable and tuning can also be accomplished via an 'up-down' hand mic.)

Cubic made accessories - amps, tuners, etc - which could be plugged into that accessory connector and remote-controlled. I have one of their prototype random wire tuners and one of these days I'll get around to building an interface cable for the setup.

The power supply and tuner included with this outfit are neat for FD use, and there are a pair of Cubic 12V, 20AH 'suitcase' battery packs kicking around the shack as well.

w2amr
03-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Hammarlund HX-500, A rare bird. Had one and sold it. Big mistake. :(
http://photos.edebris.com/catalog/item/1502/a07818b3b20d4d055e5b3380c97c7d64

W3WN
03-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Ameco AC-1

Ten-Tec PM-2B

N4VGB
03-06-2010, 06:48 PM
The last radio produced by National Radio Co. Production of all other products ceased but the plant operated for some time after the official close to finish the contract on these, AN/GRR-17 with the rcvr pictured carrying the basic component designation of R-1490/GRR.

I was lucky enough to have located and purchased 3 of these rcvrs, since most of the parts are now pure unobtanium. The most remarkable thing about these rcvrs is the near zero presence of internally generated noise, terminating the ant input and turning the volume wide open rewards you with near silence. :yes:

w2amr
03-06-2010, 06:54 PM
The last radio produced by National Radio Co. Production of all other products ceased but the plant operated for some time after the official close to finish the contract on these, AN/GRR-17 with the rcvr pictured carrying the basic component designation of R-1490/GRR.

I was lucky enough to have located and purchased 3 of these rcvrs, since most of the parts are now pure unobtanium. The most remarkable thing about these rcvrs is the near zero presence of internally generated noise, terminating the ant input and turning the volume wide open rewards you with near silence. :yes:
Is that yours? VERY nice. :agree:

N4VGB
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM

Truthfully George, I dunno? I've got a huge PC folder on that rcvr and I don't know if that pic is one of mine, from the net or one another owner sent to me?

KB3LAZ
03-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Truthfully George, I dunno? I've got a huge PC folder on that rcvr and I don't know if that pic is one of mine, from the net or one another owner sent to me?

Your new name is Pat. :rofl:

N4VGB
03-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Pat???

KB3LAZ
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Pat???

Well if you have so many radios that you dont know which are which then you may have a problem...we know others like that. :snicker:

N4VGB
03-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Well if you have so many radios that you dont know which are which then you may have a problem...we know others like that. :snicker:

I know my radios quite well, no problem, just not sure about the actual source of that pic?

Now I am also confused on the exact location of many of my radios also. I know for sure the general area they're all in, but just not the exact spot!?

KB3LAZ
03-06-2010, 09:34 PM

I know my radios quite well, no problem, just not sure about the actual source of that pic?

Now I am also confused on the exact location of many of my radios also. I know for sure the general area they're all in, but just not the exact spot!?

Lol

W3WN
03-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Pat???
I think you've just been dubbed the new incarnation of WA6MHZ. Just don't start eating Ramen Noodles as your primary means of nutrition (and stay away from Lincoln Town Cars and black widow spiders) and you'll be fine.

N4VGB
03-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I think you've just been dubbed the new incarnation of WA6MHZ. Just don't start eating Ramen Noodles as your primary means of nutrition (and stay away from Lincoln Town Cars and black widow spiders) and you'll be fine.

Oh yeah, the "Crest Radio Museum" guy. :rofl:

KC2UGV
03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
That right there is a gorgeous setup... Really. I envy you.

I have a few "sets" of these:

http://www.universal-radio.com/USED/ud76.jpg

Cubic Astro-D.

RX-TX: 1.5-30MHz continuous, no gaps. USA models had a programming resistor in place which would prohibit TX from 26.5-28.0 MHz; all of mine are 'international' models and will transmit across the entire HF spectrum.

Modes: USB/LSB, CW (with no extra filtering), AME.

Built-in TCXO.

As unique as the Astro is, a TS-440SAT will hand the thing its a$$ in every measurable aspect except IP3...the Cubic just barely comes out ahead.

I modified two of mine with SGC ADSP units; the rigs' DPST NB switches have been swapped for a DPDT, center-off momentary switch (of the same type as OEM) and this allows one to select anti-noise, auto-notch or CW filtering. There's a common-mode hum problem that needs to be sorted in order for the DSP units to be usable.

A third Astro had its synthesizer go belly up. Fortunately, I have everything on hand that's needed to fix the problem...I think. :pray:

Bandswitching is accomplished by a set of reed relays and bandpass filters; band information is present on a 15-pin Molex connector that's mounted on the rear panel. (There is no front panel band selection - one just tunes the synthesizer. Tuning rates are selectable and tuning can also be accomplished via an 'up-down' hand mic.)

Cubic made accessories - amps, tuners, etc - which could be plugged into that accessory connector and remote-controlled. I have one of their prototype random wire tuners and one of these days I'll get around to building an interface cable for the setup.

The power supply and tuner included with this outfit are neat for FD use, and there are a pair of Cubic 12V, 20AH 'suitcase' battery packs kicking around the shack as well.

W3WN
03-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Oh yeah, the "Crest Radio Museum" guy. :rofl:
You mean the "Black Widow Memorial Radio Museum" guy. Yupper.

You know, of course, if half... make that 1/3... of his tall tales turn out to be true, when he QSY's to another plane of existance, someone's going to make a fortune. I just don't know if it will be the family left behind, or the QRZ readers who will be dumpster diving looking for treasures.

w2amr
03-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Meet N3IBX/Vortex Joe.
Any old gear that gets too close, gets sucked into the Vortex.
I sold him My GRC-9 station a couple of years ago.
http://w2dtc.com/2004-0711-vortex-joe-page.htm

N4VGB
03-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Meet N3IBX/Vortex Joe.

:rofl: Some of Joe's stuff has been sucked into my "Vortex" and vice-versa over the years! :rofl:

w2amr
03-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Meet N3IBX/Vortex Joe.

:rofl: Some of Joe's stuff has been sucked into my "Vortex" and vice-versa over the years! :rofl:
If you ever run into a Hammarlund HX-500 that needs a home let me know.

N4VGB
03-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Meet N3IBX/Vortex Joe.

Well OK, but unless it's a real clunker, the price is gonna be high.

w2amr
03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Meet N3IBX/Vortex Joe.

Well OK, but unless it's a real clunker, the price is gonna be high.
Yeah, I know. :(
And I had a super clean one with P/S problems that I unloaded about 10 years ago at the Gloucester County hamfester , I think I got $75 for it. Where's the kicking myself in the ass emotion icon?
Fred kicking me in the ass......
http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_buttkick.gif
Thank you sir, may I have another?

N8YX
03-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Where's the kicking myself in the ass emotion icon?
Best I could do on short notice:

w2amr
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Where's the kicking myself in the ass emotion icon?
Best I could do on short notice:

Close enough Fred.

N4VGB
03-08-2010, 07:24 PM
I think I got $75 for it.

Good grief George, that one is bringing tears to my eyes. :cry:

w2amr
03-09-2010, 03:51 AM

Maybe I'll send Joe an E-mail, mayby there is one in the Vortex. Besides , he owes me one, I gave him a great deal on the GRC-9 station.

N4VGB
03-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Maybe I'll send Joe an E-mail, mayby there is one in the Vortex. Besides , he owes me one, I gave him a great deal on the GRC-9 station.

Be careful George, "Vortex" Joe is a very accomplished horse trader. ;)

W3WN
03-09-2010, 01:35 PM
In other words, if he sells you a horse, make sure he doesn't deliver a mule?

N4VGB
03-09-2010, 02:22 PM
In other words, if he sells you a horse, make sure he doesn't deliver a mule?

And you better check the mule for 4 legs. :rofl:

w2amr
03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
In other words, if he sells you a horse, make sure he doesn't deliver a mule?No mules in my horse trailer.

N4VGB
03-10-2010, 11:25 PM
In other words, if he sells you a horse, make sure he doesn't deliver a mule?No mules in my horse trailer.

We should start a poll on this one. I'm betting if George makes a trading trip to the Vortex. He comes back skinned alive.

w2amr
03-11-2010, 03:19 AM

We should start a poll on this one. I'm betting if George makes a trading trip to the Vortex. He comes back skinned alive.
Don't count on it slappy, I've been around the block a few times myself. Besides, he never responded to my E-mail.

N4VGB
03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Don't count on it slappy, I've been around the block a few times myself. Besides, he never responded to my E-mail.

Ya know, I haven't heard anything of Joe in a long time now? I hope he hasn't joined the silent key ranks.

w2amr
03-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Ya know, I haven't heard anything of Joe in a long time now? I hope he hasn't joined the silent key ranks.
Good news, I sent an E-maill to his ARRL account and he responded. He says he has an HX-500 front panel and knobs, hell all I have to do is find the rest of it somewhere. :lol:
He also said he has had a lot of fun with the GRC-9, and found the hand crank dynamotor for it. Try that visual on for size. :lol:

N4VGB
03-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Good news, I sent an E-maill to his ARRL account and he responded. He says he has an HX-500 front panel and knobs, hell all I have to do is find the rest of it somewhere. :lol:
He also said he has had a lot of fun with the GRC-9, and found the hand crank dynamotor for it. Try that visual on for size. :lol:

Who, other than the Vortex, could possibly own the front panel and knobs only for a HX-500!!! :rofl:

I don't even want to think about Joe straddling that little hand crank genset. :hand

N4VGB
03-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Here's one of my favorite oldies from the military, the BC-375. Yeah it's an MOPA design and operation on any freq higher than 160M is perilous, due to the natural slight FM quality of all MOPA xmitters. But I like the old thing anyway. Most of these things have been stripped of their 211 tubes for sale to the 'audiophools'. :twisted:

I grabbed the pic from WA4KCY/Andy Howard's website. He and I seem to be the only ones in this region that own near pristine versions of the BC-375, note the inspection tags still hanging on Andy's set. :D

Mine came to me via a trade with a local old gent. He had purchased the whole cased set just after WWII and never used it, so I got it in the huge transit case with all accessories included. :D

w2amr
03-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Very nice :agree:
How much power does it put out?

N4VGB
03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Very nice :agree:
How much power does it put out?

40-90 watts, it's a power house rig! Chirps and whoops on CW, FMs on AM, what a xmitter! But it was actually perfect for it's intended application, since a BC-348 rcvr is as wide as a barn door the FM wasn't a big deal on AM and the CW signal probably sounded OK to them also. :rofl:

Found this additional pic in my PC folder on the BC-375, I have no idea where I got it, so I can't attribute it to the proper ham but obviously this guy loves his BC-375 also. So much that he assembled the complete SCR-287 station!

w2amr
03-14-2010, 03:30 AM
I love the low tech 48 volt supply on the bottom. Hope he keeps a window open.

N4VGB
03-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I love the low tech 48 volt supply on the bottom. Hope he keeps a window open.

I dunno about that battery supply? There are actually 2 versions of this xmitter that are identical in every way except for the filament wiring, BC-191 is 12vdc & BC-375 is 24vdc. The BC-191 is for ground use and used a 12-14vdc dynamotor and the BC-375 is for aircraft use with a 24-28vdc dynamotor. The batteries could be 6vdc or 12vdc in that pic and being used to produce either 12vdc or 24vdc?

The BC-191 is designated for both ground and vehicular use and the desk in that pic might be original military also. I've seen the proper wooden box setup that was designated as vehicular use but never seen the ground designated setup.

w2amr
03-14-2010, 08:10 AM
It is a slick looking station.

N4VGB
03-14-2010, 08:48 AM
It is a slick looking station.

I gotta start doing a better job of labeling pics, need to add date and source info.

W5GA
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
The Tulsa Red Cross EOC has one of these to play with, once you beat the whackers out of the way.

N4VGB
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
The Tulsa Red Cross EOC has one of these to play with, once you beat the whackers out of the way.

Oh my, a bunch of emcomm whackers with a Signal One CX-11, excuse me while I hurl. :sick:

I always wanted a Siganl One, but I passed on some sick CX-7 sets, should have bought them. I kept thinking a CX-11 would turn up that I could afford, it never happened.

Then WB4KCG/Ronnie Milsap listed his one owner Signal One CX-11 on eBay and I pounced, I mean I could drive over to Nashville and pick it up! :dance: The price took off like a rocket and I was out of the bidding in no time flat. :cry:

I guess it wasn't meant to be. :lol:

W5GA
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I know just what you mean, Mack.
The very first Fresno DX convention I went to (pre-dating Visalia) had a CX-7 as a frickin' door prize! I was the only Novice there.

N4VGB
03-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I know just what you mean, Mack.
The very first Fresno DX convention I went to (pre-dating Visalia) had a CX-7 as a frickin' door prize! I was the only Novice there.

WOW! Thumbs up to the Fresno DX guys, that's a door prize! :dance:

Just took a look at the Siganl One CX-7 registry, about 850 manufactured and 154 are known to still exist. http://www.k5og.com/CX7%20registry.htm

The CX-11 registry says only 111 were manufactured and 44 are known to still exist. http://www.k5og.com/CX11%20registry.htm

I guess the really rare bird of the Signal One family would be the MilSpec 1030C, which was nothing more than an Icom 781 repackaged, but it looked great! I never heard on anyone finding one of them in any of the mil surplus sales? There are a couple of guys on the net who have them though. I dunno if these sets are mil surplus or surplus from Signal One?

My personal preference would be a CX-11B. :pray

W3WN
03-17-2010, 08:04 AM
I'd always wondered what had happened to Signal/One, and after reading some of the history of the company, wow, what a mess.

I wonder how many people (besides the two mentioned) lost their IC-781's and a ton of $$ by sending them in for the upgrades that never happened.

N4VGB
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I'd always wondered what had happened to Signal/One, and after reading some of the history of the company, wow, what a mess.

I wonder how many people (besides the two mentioned) lost their IC-781's and a ton of $$ by sending them in for the upgrades that never happened.

I think the Wikipedia article about them is spot on, failing to procure any large military contracts doomed them. I was told many times back then that the true purpose of the company was military contracts. Just like Collins, marketing to amateurs was a very secondary venture and barely worth the effort for the low production numbers.

I guess W4ETO/Dick Ehrhorn did OK in the deal? As I recall he started the Alpha linear amp line while still involved with the Signal/One operation, maybe he saw the handwriting on the wall there?

W3WN
03-17-2010, 01:51 PM

I think the Wikipedia article about them is spot on, failing to procure any large military contracts doomed them. I was told many times back then that the true purpose of the company was military contracts. Just like Collins, marketing to amateurs was a very secondary venture and barely worth the effort for the low production numbers.

I guess W4ETO/Dick Ehrhorn did OK in the deal? As I recall he started the Alpha linear amp line while still involved with the Signal/One operation, maybe he saw the handwriting on the wall there?
From what I gathered, and I well could be wrong, Dick Ehrhorn was only an employee of the company, so outside of his salary, what more could he expect? Considering the success of the Alpha amplifiers from ETO and it's successors, I'd say that he should have done OK... but that may have nothing per se to do with Signal/One's success(s) or failure(s) as a company.

N4VGB
03-17-2010, 02:13 PM

From what I gathered, and I well could be wrong, Dick Ehrhorn was only an employee of the company, so outside of his salary, what more could he expect? Considering the success of the Alpha amplifiers from ETO and it's successors, I'd say that he should have done OK... but that may have nothing per se to do with Signal/One's success(s) or failure(s) as a company.

I dunno, long time ago, but I'm fairly sure W4ETO was head honcho of Signal/One at some point in time?

The Siganl/One owners are about the most 'dedicated to the product' bunch you'll ever encounter, even today, and that says a lot about the Signal/One sets to me. One ham who has all the DXCC countries except Scarborough Reef told me he didn't think he'd have accomplished that goal without his Signal/One.

ka4dpo
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
My favorite offbeat rig is my Harvey Wells Bandmaster and Hallicrafters SX-71 receiver. I have worked a lot of CW DX with these fine boatanchors and Even worked DX on 10 meter AM phone. This is an old picture as both of these rigs have been packed away for some time. I will rewicker them when I get to my new QTH that has room to display all of my old junk in a tasteful setting.... :lol: Notice the lightbulb dummy load, it's how we used to do stuff in the old days. :D

N4VGB
03-18-2010, 11:16 AM
While looking over net info on Signal/One I discovered that I missed a CX7 on eBay back in Feb. '10. Went for $900.

N4VGB
03-18-2010, 11:22 AM
My favorite offbeat rig is my Harvey Wells Bandmaster

Hope that's a Senior D model, the only one with a true speech amp. The A is CW only, the B&C will work AM but ya gotta talk loud. :lol:

ka4dpo
03-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Hope that's a Senior D model, the only one with a true speech amp. The A is CW only, the B&C will work AM but ya gotta talk loud. :lol:

It's the D model but I did the 6SN7 mod to the carbon mic input so it works as well as the Delux model.

N4VGB
03-18-2010, 05:10 PM

It's the D model but I did the 6SN7 mod to the carbon mic input so it works as well as the Delux model.

I've always liked the Harvey Wells TBS-50s, they still show up at hamfests at reasonable prices around here. I must have about a half dozen of them now! They just kept showing up on hamfest tables cheap and I just kept buying them! :rofl:

Same for the Central Electronic 10 & 20 models! :doh: :rofl:

ka4dpo
03-18-2010, 07:48 PM

I've always liked the Harvey Wells TBS-50s, they still show up at hamfests at reasonable prices around here. I must have about a half dozen of them now! They just kept showing up on hamfest tables cheap and I just kept buying them! :rofl:

Same for the Central Electronic 10 & 20 models! :doh: :rofl:

Yeah I guess you can still find them. I got mine new so I know the owner real well. :lol: