PDA

View Full Version : EZNEC is Killing me!

w3bny
03-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Not sure if it should be here or in antennas so here it shall be posted.

Diving into the world of EZNEC. And I SUCK! I cant build a model of a simple 43' vertical antenna and radial system. Well....I can get the vertical no problem. And can enter the off set Z height. (43' vert 3 feet off ground) but for the life of me, I cant build the radial system. I read it has to be at least the diameter of the wire off the ground for ground mounted radials and it doesn't understand buried radials...I think. Im just confused. And there is no way in hell I would ever ask this on zed...no freakin way!

Any help you can provide or an ez file with an example (just one radial will suffice so I can see how its done) would be very...VERY appreciated!

N9FE
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Ren . There a group close to here me that are contstantly talking about modeling programs. Guess what There signals SUCK. The folks with Big dog sigs do there own. These modeling programs might help, There not gospel. Read Orr's wire antenna books. Low band dx'ing. And w8ji tom raunch. Now thats where you can glean some good practical tried and true working knowledge. Just my opinion.. And FEED da Bunnehs. My Bunnehs here are starving..

KJ3N
03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Damned forum software won't let me upload a file with .EZ extension, otherwise I'd oblige.

Maybe another way...

KC2UGV
03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Damned forum software won't let me upload a file with .EZ extension, otherwise I'd oblige.

Maybe another way...

Change the extension to txt... Then upload.

KJ3N
03-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Maybe another way...

Tried that. No go.

Ok, I renamed the file with a .ZIP extension. It's not really a ZIP file, so just rename it back with a .EZ extension.

Just fookin' stupid.... :roll:

KC2UGV
03-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Maybe another way...

Tried that. No go.

zip file then? Or just zip it up, then upload.

All else fails: [strike:11emsh7x]http://yousendit.com[/strike:11emsh7x] Via Winlink :rock:

KJ3N
03-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Maybe another way...

Tried that. No go.

All else fails: http://yousendit.com
See edited post above yours.

KC2UGV
03-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Tried that. No go.

All else fails: http://yousendit.com
See edited post above yours.

See my edited post above yours :)

WØTKX
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Cooool. Forum recursion.

w3bny
03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
sweet. Will check it out at homes...

Did I mention I'm starting to hunt down some "big iron" as a new bench project? Have a line up on a DX-100 that I am gonna look at this week.

N4VGB
03-01-2010, 06:41 PM
sweet. Will check it out at homes...

Did I mention I'm starting to hunt down some "big iron" as a new bench project? Have a line up on a DX-100 that I am gonna look at this week.

I could have loaded you down with "big iron" at a local hamfest last Saturday. Big power xformers, big chokes, big oil caps and nobody was buying any of it, so the marked prices went down, down, down quickly. Even a couple of 40 henry mod reactors from a kilowatt CCA BC xmitter went home with the seller, looked like Electro manufactured units but I didn't feel like getting down that low to investigate.

w3bny
03-02-2010, 08:55 AM
That or what the hell is that thing...the KW-1?

N4VGB
03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
That or what the hell is that thing...the KW-1?

KW-1??? That's medium iron. :mrgreen:

w3bny
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Ok..define "big iron" and let me stipulate...it should not have come from a defunct BC station. Only amateur iron counts.

N4VGB
03-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Ok..define "big iron" and let me stipulate...it should not have come from a defunct BC station. Only amateur iron counts.

OK, here goes. The largest of the "amateur" iron like used in the Collins KW-1 and 30K series, is about the same sized iron that was used in a 250 watt AM BC xmitter of the same time period. So there isn't anything in amateur radio that could really be called "big iron".

I have a tendency to lean towards milspec design of my HB gear. If I need a HV power xformer capable of 500ma, I'll select one from stock or have W4WDS wind me one capable of 1 amp CCS. Ya think that's bad? I'm really paranoid about bias supplies and usually select a bias xformer capable of several amps CCS output and load it heavily. :shifty

Most of the amateur AM HB guys around here lean towards iron from at least a 1kw AM BC xmitter for their use in HB projects. Why go with "wimpy, wimpy, wimpy" when you can usually have "hefty, hefty, hefty" at a lower price? The last of the tube era AM & FM BC xmitters are being sent to the dump as fast as station owners can replace them, all those high power tubes and iron need a new home. :D

KG4CGC
03-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Cooool. Forum recursion.
Too much of that and you have reciprocity failure.

w3bny
03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
back on track....for a bit...

I did figure out how to do radials. Thanks for the assistance. Now I just need to cough up the 139 bones for the + version. Seems I have a few segments over 500. PEH!

N4VGB
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
back on track....for a bit...

I did figure out how to do radials. Thanks for the assistance. Now I just need to cough up the 139 bones for the + version. Seems I have a few segments over 500. PEH!

Radials are easy, just guess at how many you think you need, then put down 2-4 times that many. Works every time. :sick

HUGH
03-04-2010, 03:12 AM
I struggle to use EZNEC but I do have the pro version. Often I start with a basic design on MMANA-GAL, which is easy to use, then transfer it to EZNEC and further complicate it.

Am I the only one who has to make pencil dimensional sketches when using EZNEC by the way so it doesn't get out of hand?