PDA

View Full Version : Promoting Diversity (reception) - you and your TS-930/940

N8YX
02-27-2010, 01:06 PM
The TS-930 and TS-940 series rigs arguably are the finest HF transceivers which use through-hole, rather than SMT construction that Kenwood ever built.

They'll do almost everything one could ask for...except receive two frequencies at once, a la the '950 or FT-1000D, and at the same time be computer-controllable.

Here's the beginning of a mod series which will rectify that.

First, we're going to need a method by which to share the antenna connection - as the TR7/R7 and TS-820S/R-820 can do. As delivered from Kenwood, the '940 has an RCA connector on its rear panel titled "External Receiver". A switch allows routing the main station antenna to the '940's internal receiver or to an external unit. But not both at once.

Looking at the layout of the rig and its rear panel with the bottom cover off, one finds a 'Remote/Internal' switch and miniature coax leads running to the common and rightmost connections, and a wire running from the RCA jack next to it to the third switch terminal.

To make the External Receiver connection "always active", one needs to unsolder the larger of the two coax cables which connect to the switch and move it to the rightmost switch connection - tied to the other coax cable. The wire to the RCA connector is then tied to the center terminal of the switch. The switch itself can be used to turn the connection to the external receiver "off" if ever desired.

The best approach to feeding both internal and external receivers would be via the inclusion of one of the following Mini-Circuits power splitters, as they would minimize impedance losses caused by connecting both receivers together with no form of matching network:

http://glacier.lbl.gov/gtp/splitter/PSC.JPG

http://glacier.lbl.gov/gtp/DOM/dataSheets/PSC-2-2-75_files/splitter_data/0a01.gif

These offer 30dB isolation between ports and are usable from 0.004 to 60MHz.

I'm going to order one for each of my '940s. When I install one I'll post pics and details.

One person on the TS-930S Yahoo group indicated this was also a viable mod for the '930, so the instructions I've presented above may be adapted as necessary. I'm not sure how its rear panel is laid out.

N8YX
02-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Next, we need a way to mute the companion receiver on transmit.

We can take the "Easy" or the "Hard" way out. The hard way assumes that you won't be using an external power amplifier and involves constructing a cable which will run between the external receiver and the TS-940's "Remote" control jack - which is a 7-pin DIN. For purposes of discussion I've slaved an R-5000 to my '940, so one could build a 7-pin to 7-pin cable and use the '940's amplifier control relay to accomplish the mute function. Refer to the '940s and R-5000 owner's manuals for details on which pins on the connectors at each cable end are used.

The "Easy" way - also for those who want to use an amplifier with the setup - is to buy one of these:

http://aero-smith.net/cart/images/arb-704.bmp

Ameritron offers a 'plug and play' cable for the '940 which runs right from the '940's Remote jack to the unit's "Multi Port" connector. You then make up a muting cable for the R-5000 which has an RCA male connector on one end and a 7-pin male DIN on the other. the cable center conductor runs to the corresponding 'mute' terminal as identified in the R-5000 owner's manual. Plug the RCA connector into the 'Radio' connection of the '704 and the DIN connector into the R-5000's "remote". An RCA-to-PL-259 equippec cable will let you bring the antenna feed from the '940's External Receiver jack into the '5000's Ant1 connector.

When you PTT...instant mute.

Using a scope, I've looked at the residual signal which is present on the Remote switch during 100w-out TX and found the amplitude to be very low. Most of it comes from leakage around and through RL4, the main T/R relay. Even when connected directly to a companion, unmuted receiver, the outputted signal isn't enough to deflect the rig's s-meter past 20/S-9. It's in the millivolt region, if that. Adding the Mini-Circuits mixer should further reduce it.

If one wishes to connect and use an amplifier with this setup, just apply 12VDC to the -704's power port...run an RCA-to-whatever cable from the -704's "Amp" and "ALC" jacks to the corresponding connections on your amplifier.

In subsequent parts we'll look at installing the splitter then get around to discussing how to computer-control the combination.

N8YX
03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Part III - DSP:

Another bit which both the TS-940S and R-5000 lack is DSP filtering. While retrofitting a '940 with an IF-based unit is possible, it would require a redesign of the entire IF board. I don't feel like messing with that at the moment. In addition, there's not much room to work with in the '5000...so an audio-based solution is required.

But which one? There are several companies producing capable DSP units, and the reviews of such equipment tend to be a little canted (IMHO).

One of the obvious requirements is for dual-channel operation. That is, the ability to feed the outputs of two rigs into the DSP unit and route the processed audio to two different output channels. The only unit currently offering these capabilities is the Timewave DSP-599zx:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/filters/3630a.gif

The -599 won't process both channels at once, but I'm using mine as follows: 'Pass-through mode' on Channel A (the '940) and 'Process mode' on Channel B (the '5000). The '940's noise blanker and filtering system are a bit better than that of the '5000, and the Timewave unit closes the gap.

It also offers a CW pitch shift feature, which is functionally equivalent to the '940's Pitch control.

Timewave advises the user to make use of the '599's "PTT Input" for muting purposes when operating the unit in conjunction with a transceiver. I've currently got it connected to the 'Amp' connection of the ARB-704 (see previous post for details). Were I to add an amplifier to the shack, I would have to redo the cabling scheme to accommodate its switching control. Thus, a cable from the 'Remote' connector on the '940 will be run to the 'Radio A' (8-pin DIN) connector on the Timewave, and its 'PTT Input' connector (which is actually in parallel with the PTT input pin on the Radio A DIN) will be used to control the '704 via another custom-built cable.

Performance-wise, the '599 knocks out darn near all of the hash n' mash which pollutes the airwaves in my locale. Careful adjustment is the key, but when you finally get the 'right' combination figured out, you can store your settings in one of the unit's 6 memories. You can also set the unit so it will power up with your custom profile.

N4VGB
03-07-2010, 12:16 AM
"Dual receive capability" and "diversity reception" are completely different topics. Just thought I'd mention it. :mrgreen:

Now don't confuse the two again. :slap: :lol:

N8YX
03-07-2010, 09:08 AM
"Dual receive capability" and "diversity reception" are completely different topics. Just thought I'd mention it.
Ahhh...no...not when you run the products of two separate receivers/antennas through a combiner/filter and utilize the recovered audio as a countermeasure against propagational fading.

The '5000 has an antenna selector which is also remote-controllable via software commands. Thus, I can switch between a shared antenna or one of several slopers manually - or let software handle it. One can also query the rigs' S-meter reading via software, so a 'voter' arrangement using Kenwood's CAT commands is possible.

N4VGB
03-08-2010, 11:22 AM
"Dual receive capability" and "diversity reception" are completely different topics. Just thought I'd mention it.
Ahhh...no...not when you run the products of two separate receivers/antennas through a combiner/filter and utilize the recovered audio as a countermeasure against propagational fading.

The '5000 has an antenna selector which is also remote-controllable via software commands. Thus, I can switch between a shared antenna or one of several slopers manually - or let software handle it. One can also query the rigs' S-meter reading via software, so a 'voter' arrangement using Kenwood's CAT commands is possible.

Even true diversity can have it's problems. The phase of recovered audio depends on the phase of the RF at the detector stage, true diversity reception can produce it's own fade problem when the phase of the RF at the two separate detctors aren't in perfect sync. ;)

N8YX
03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Even true diversity can have it's problems. The phase of recovered audio depends on the phase of the RF at the detector stage, true diversity reception can produce it's own fade problem when the phase of the RF at the two separate detectors aren't in perfect sync. ;)
True, but there are a couple of ways to sync-lock the signals via phase-shifting or DSP techniques. The syncro-fade problem is less aggravating on voice modes as it is with data, and I've some ideas which should minimize THAT.

All that's necessary at this point is to construct the communications interfaces...write the code...and test the thing out.

AF6LJ
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Fun Project :)
I am carious to know how the power divider works out.
I have a new (to me) project radio on it's way (R-599), if this works out I will give serious consideration to modding my TS-820.

N4VGB
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
True, but there are a couple of ways to sync-lock the signals via phase-shifting or DSP techniques. The syncro-fade problem is less aggravating on voice modes as it is with data, and I've some ideas which should minimize THAT.

Good luck, we just covered that topic in regards to the mil R-1247 on the R-390 email reflector group. The R-1247 is a modified R-390A done by Manson Labs and used in the AN/GRC-129, which also featured a T-368 with the modulator removed and a SSB generator in it's place. The R-1247 shows up on eBay regularly and brings high prices because of the completely false belief that it was a special order item used by NASA only. NASA did use them for data recovery in remote locations around the world, but it wasn't a strictly NASA piece of gear.

The R-1247 featured external oscillators that were supposedly of extremely high precision, but keeping them adjusted proved an endless task. It indeed came up in the email exchanges that we hams should be able to home brew some little DDS based oscillators and actually make the R-1247 perform to it's original goals. But none of us could think of a single reason to do it! :rofl:

I now several hams who use true diversity receivers and antenna setups, it will help you most of the time to dig the weak ones out for DX work. Some who have the antenna voting system instead, claim it works better? I dunno, since I have neither.

N8YX
03-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Latest score:

A pair of (hopefully good) filters from a TS-930S.

The stock Kenwood SSB RX and TX filters as used in the '940 are 2.4KHz. The '930's are 2.7 and 3.0khz, respectively. A simple swap should widen things out just enough on transmit to get good SSB reports and give the rig a little more high-end response on AM RX when the "narrow" filter selection is engaged. When receiving SSB I can always use the rig's Slope Tune controls to tighten things down if necessary.

N8YX
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Latest score:

A pair of (hopefully good) filters from a TS-930S.

The stock Kenwood SSB RX and TX filters as used in the '940 are 2.4KHz. The '930's are 2.7 and 3.0khz, respectively. A simple swap should widen things out just enough on transmit to get good SSB reports and give the rig a little more high-end response on AM RX when the "narrow" filter selection is engaged. When receiving SSB I can always use the rig's Slope Tune controls to tighten things down if necessary.
Filters installed.

Area hams report greatly increased fidelity when transmitting SSB. I'll leave it to '3N or 'FE to critique my "out of the area" signal as they've worked me since I swapped the filters.

Latest change is the use of an MC-85 instead of the MC-60 I had been using. It gives a bit more fidelity, according to the 10M crew whom I worked with it a few nights back.

Ran across this bit from the AM Window folks - an article on how to mod the '940 for true 'hi fi' AM TX:

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/ts940s.htm

I have all of the parts except for the matching transformer (and possibly, the 2SC945) so I may give it a go soon.

The one downside to the mod is that the speech processor and TX Monitor functions no longer work when transmitting AM. B...F...D, as there's an SM-220 hooked to each of the operating positions - and I can use the MC-85's built-in compressor function if necessary. SSB, FM and CW TX aren't affected by the modification.

PA5COR
04-28-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a bunch of 2 sc 945's for you if you need them.

Give the word and i'll pop some in the post for you.

N8YX
04-28-2010, 06:20 PM
I have a bunch of 2 sc 945's for you if you need them.

Give the word and i'll pop some in the post for you.
If you've got a handful you're not going to use, send 'em along.

There's a gazillion NOS parts in Ye Olde Junque Box - no new '945s. A ton of C458s if you happen to need any, and I've been collecting a bunch of older stuff including many popular germanium transistors. Let me know what I can do to reciprocate...

N4VGB
04-28-2010, 07:03 PM
If anyone needs anymore 2SC945s, Tayda Electronics offers packages of 10 for 19 cents per package.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet ... ORS/Detail (http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-1742/2SC945-C945-BIPOLAR-TRANSISTORS/Detail)

I've never ordered these particular pieces, but a couple of past orders were no problem.

PA5COR
04-29-2010, 04:04 AM
I'll pop some over today.
Took out lots of good ones out of breadboards used but 100% good.
Costs nothing just a stamp.
After 45 yars hoarding parts i realized i'll never be able to use them all now.

:snicker:

So, it's better to make someone happy that can use them.
I still have Phillips 500 BAT 85 ultra low noise Schottky diodes left from the 1000 roll, send out lots to hams worldwide for replacing bandswitch diodes, AM rectifier diodes etc.

:yes:

N8YX
04-29-2010, 07:00 AM
If anyone needs anymore 2SC945s, Tayda Electronics offers packages of 10 for 19 cents per package.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet ... ORS/Detail (http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/the-1742/2SC945-C945-BIPOLAR-TRANSISTORS/Detail)

I've never ordered these particular pieces, but a couple of past orders were no problem.
That site is going to cost me some money.

Thanks.

:whistle

N4VGB
04-29-2010, 03:27 PM

That site is going to cost me some money.

Thanks.

:whistle

First time anyone thanked me for costing them $$$ :rofl:

I dunno why, Tayda must be the dumping grounds for all older solid state pieces for the electronics industry of the world. I was leary of ordering from Thailand, but a couple of orders and no problem, so I guess they're OK.

After everyone else in the world was completely sold out of the old germanium power transistors, Tayda had the old pieces I needed to revive an old 50 amp DC power supply. Saved me a lot of work.

N8YX
02-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Bumping this one back to the top -

I got some more pieces for this project over the last few weeks and spent some time prototyping a rig-control solution. Thoughts were to use a PIC or BASIC Stamp and control both the '940 and the R-5000 in master/slave poll mode...but then a neat little solution in the form of HRD 5.0 came along. If one hooks both rigs to a PC running HRD then uses the "Tuning -> Synchronization" feature, it's possible to designate any number of secondary radios as sub-receivers...and they'll track the 'main' (in-focus) rig with regards to band, mode and frequency.

One of the R-5000s in my shack came with a device called an SWL-Remote. This gadget offers a level converter for RS232 signals and features an IR receiver that can be used with any one of a number of "universal" remote controls. The device uses a common TV protocol and will work with a number of HF general-coverage receivers:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/swlir.jpg

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/1777.html

When HRD is operating in "Synchronization" mode and the R-5000 has focus, its companion TS-940S can also be tuned via the remote...as it tracks the receiver's band/freq/mode data.

Next pieces of the puzzle are as follows:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/system/roundups/2003/03/sffp4/sb51g.jpg

I got a couple of these from Fleabay w/ DVD burner and floppy...cheap. They have 1.7GHz Celerons installed along with 1.5GB RAM - plans are to install 2.4GHz P4s and 2GB RAM. I/O city...tons of ports...except we need more serial ports and a dual display adapter to run "heads-up".

So...

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/66/27/74/01/0066277401203_180X180.jpg

This card plus its 4x DB-9 fan-out cable gives up a total of 6 serial ports.

And...

http://www.computerdirectcorp.com/cdproductcatalog/images/products/512A8N403LR.jpg

Here's a neat video solution for the remaining adapter slot. (You get 1 PCI, 1 AGP in these Shuttle boxes). Each VGA output passes through an HDMI converter and into one of four HDMI inputs on a (planned) 46" Sony LED TV which will be mounted on the wall and serve as a heads-up display for contesting duties. The 6200's DVI output (or one of the built-in USB ports) will be used as the main system video output and each system will be equipped with a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Configured fully...each PC attaches to the gear as follows:

COM1 - RS-232 input of DSP599 (this unit can be run as a RTTY/PSK31/SSTV modem by MMTTY and others)
COM2 - control of THL 2.5fx and accessory tuner (pending)
COM3 - control of TS-940S via IF-232C
COM4 - control of R-5000 via SWL-IR
COM5, 6 - control of R-7000 and Pro-2035 scanners/monitors via ScanCAT

The SB-51G is also capable of running in "headless" mode with no monitor, keyboard or mouse attached; one can use Windows' RDP to control it. That's tonight's test. Right after I get the serial card installed and configured...

KC2UGV
02-03-2011, 09:39 AM
If you are running *Nix, the serial card will just pop up as /dev/ttyS{x} :) Not sure about your video though...

N8YX
02-03-2011, 10:06 AM
If you are running *Nix, the serial card will just pop up as /dev/ttyS{x} :) Not sure about your video though...
Yes, and yes.

One must install the NVidia driver and then reconfigure X - afterwards, adding the "TwinView" option and associated parameters to xorg.conf.

That card works slick. Neat thing is that it's one of the cheapest available.

Checking around, it'll cost me a hole (sic) $10 to upgrade each CPU to a P4/2.4GHz - 533MHz FSB setup and another $50 per box for 2GB RAM.

So...$60 + $100 (for the Siig card) + $40 (for the 6200) allows the old hardware to remain viable for a while longer. It'll support Windows 7, but I'm looking to get hold of a 64-bit Shuttle solution in a couple of years. What I'll eventually do with the existing systems and their XP Pro installs is to image them for backup/restoration purposes once they go EOL then firewall them down so they cannot go anywhere but HRD's and N1MM's update sites..the DX cluster...and a couple other 'trusted' places. If the aforementioned software will be ported to run in Win7-64 I'll just chuck the boxes when the time comes...

N8YX
02-03-2011, 11:13 AM
A bit more on the "diversity" angle:

Apparently MMTTY (which I have installed on one of the Shuttles as of this posting) allows you to run a pair of sessions - one per receiver - and logically combine them. That is, If I read the manual correctly. The Hot Tip would be to utilize a separate receiver/antenna combination for each "side", thus eliminating polarity fading (which has been the point of this entire exercise..). More testing is in order. N1MM can also do SO2R, not just SO2V - according to the blog entry below:

http://w9oy-sdr.blogspot.com/2010/01/cw-ww-160m-cw-so2r.html

This could prove...interesting.