PDA

View Full Version : Saturday's 10-11-12M opening

N8YX
02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Hopefully a lot of you got to enjoy it - Central and South Americans were booming into Ohio.

What I found interesting was that Channel 5 was absolutely, positively filled with signals - in fact, it was constant S-9 level dull roar of the type which could be found on every channel from 1 to 40 during the late '70s peak skip season that occurred at the time of CB's heyday. Surprisingly, Channel 19 was relatively quiet.

Almost too quiet.

Have many U.S. truckers finally given up on CB as a way to communicate? Further - is the CB service enjoying somewhat of a renaissance in Latin and South America?

WØTKX
02-23-2010, 08:01 AM
I was playin' on 15 and 12. :neener:

Europe, NW Africa... Madeira Island... Oh yea. :agree:

kf4jqd
04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
10 m tried to open up this morning (Sunday). I made a couple of contacts. I did hear 10-11-12 open up last night before the big storm hit us!

Andy KF4JQD

N8YX
04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
10 m tried to open up this morning (Sunday). I made a couple of contacts. I did hear 10-11-12 open up last night before the big storm hit us!

Andy KF4JQD
Sporadic E...triggered by gravity waves from the passing front -OR- ionization via electrostatic discharge off the tops of the big supercells. Almost a sure bet when you have clustered thunderstorms prowling nearby.

KG4CGC
04-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Andy KF4JQD
Sporadic E...triggered by gravity waves from the passing front -OR- ionization via electrostatic discharge off the tops of the big supercells. Almost a sure bet when you have clustered thunderstorms prowling nearby.
Cool.

AA8AE
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Hopefully a lot of you got to enjoy it - Central and South Americans were booming into Ohio.

What I found interesting was that Channel 5 was absolutely, positively filled with signals - in fact, it was constant S-9 level dull roar of the type which could be found on every channel from 1 to 40 during the late '70s peak skip season that occurred at the time of CB's heyday. Surprisingly, Channel 19 was relatively quiet.

Almost too quiet.

Have many U.S. truckers finally given up on CB as a way to communicate? Further - is the CB service enjoying somewhat of a renaissance in Latin and South America?

As a trucker, I gave up on CB about 2 years ago. Got tired of the hate and discontent. I'm very happy with my 2 meter and my Blackberry.

I do remember some years back a taxi-cab company used to come booming into the Detroit area on channel 27 in Spanish.

w3bny
05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Further - is the CB service enjoying somewhat of a renaissance in Latin and South America?

I didnt know it had gone away in S.A. They have always used it as the local phone line so to speak.

KG4CGC
05-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I didnt know it had gone away in S.A. They have always used it as the local phone line so to speak.
They will use anything they can get their hands on. Weren't they using hacked sat-phones to call long distance on unencrypted Navy satellites?
Maybe they were not even hacked but if you see a picture of a poor town or isolated neighborhood in parts of SA, those are not Direct TV dishes, those are phones.
Many an ingenious yet, very dangerous communications set up has originated in SA.