PDA

View Full Version : I worked a celebrity yesterday!

w3bny
02-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Bob Curry KC3VO on 10m! I called CQ on 28.400 and this OMG over S9 signal comes in blasting mah poor bunneh rig with a full bucket and a half of RF goodness. W3BNY this is KC3VO how copy After a few expletives that I will have to go to confession for (was wearing a headset at the time and the volume was up)... I returned his call and had a nice qso. I had no idea who the guy was other than a very...VERY strong signal. Then he started mentioning his backpack rig and again... OMG UR THE GUY WITH THE 2KW BACK...SQUEE! Nice guy and tons of information. Lives around here where I work! Anyhow. Gotta send that card in!

[youtube:2uybii7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxp_Nsa54_Q[/youtube:2uybii7k]

W3WN
02-18-2010, 09:41 AM
There is a difference between celebrity and infamy.

Both get you into the newspaper (radio, TV, video, YouTube, etc.). One is a touch more desireable than the other. Although sometimes I think some don't get which is which...

N2CHX
02-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Well, that's one way to ensure you'll never have to pay child support.

w3bny
02-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Say what you want... But, I thought it was neat/interesting on how he could wring 2Kw plus out of a 5 watt rig on LiPo batteries for an hour. Let me know when you chooch's work something up like that.

N2CHX
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Say what you want... But, I thought it was neat/interesting on how he could wring 2Kw plus out of a 5 watt rig on LiPo batteries for an hour. Let me know when you chooch's work something up like that.

Don't get me wrong, it's interesting and unusual. Not something I would do, but I'd probably be excited if I worked BackpackGuy too. I thought my child support comment was funny though. Come on, you know it was :geek

w3bny
02-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Don't get me wrong, it's interesting and unusual. Not something I would do, but I'd probably be excited if I worked BackpackGuy too. I thought my child support comment was funny though. Come on, you know it was :geek

Didnt say it wasnt funny...hee... To be honest even he said he feels "uncomfortable" above 300 watts. He says he can feel it.

N2CHX
02-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Didnt say it wasnt funny...hee... To be honest even he said he feels "uncomfortable" above 300 watts. He says he can feel it.

I'm sure he does. I can tell when I'm in the near field of a hot AM, and FM's give me a migraine if I'm around a site too long. I don't even want to think about 2 kilowatts strapped to my backside, with my head mere inches from the aperture of the antenna. No thank you.

kf0rt
02-18-2010, 12:28 PM

I'm sure he does. I can tell when I'm in the near field of a hot AM, and FM's give me a migraine if I'm around a site too long. I don't even want to think about 2 kilowatts strapped to my backside, with my head mere inches from the aperture of the antenna. No thank you.

Isn't that supposed to cure cancer or something?

N2CHX
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Isn't that supposed to cure cancer or something?

RF? Sure I suppose, if it's concentrated on a tumor at the right frequency and power level, it probably could kill a tumor. Outside of that, prolonged heating of body tissue from non-ionizing radiation isn't exactly what I'd call healthy.

N8YX
02-18-2010, 12:52 PM
No excuses on Da 'Bowl:

[youtube:1axiwa6e]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DboZ-MC3U9Y[/youtube:1axiwa6e]

w2amr
02-20-2010, 05:26 AM
:rofl:

w2amr
02-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Bob Curry KC3VO on 10m! I called CQ on 28.400 and this OMG over S9 signal comes in blasting mah poor bunneh rig with a full bucket and a half of RF goodness. W3BNY this is KC3VO how copy After a few expletives that I will have to go to confession for (was wearing a headset at the time and the volume was up)... I returned his call and had a nice qso. I had no idea who the guy was other than a very...VERY strong signal. Then he started mentioning his backpack rig and again... OMG UR THE GUY WITH THE 2KW BACK...SQUEE! Nice guy and tons of information. Lives around here where I work! Anyhow. Gotta send that card in!

[youtube:api6noah]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxp_Nsa54_Q[/youtube:api6noah]
I'll bet all the weenies running around hamfests carrying 5 HTs think this guy is GOD.

N2CHX
02-20-2010, 08:35 AM
:rofl:

LOL! Finally, someone actually got what I really meant when I wrote that. I was waiting... :snicker:

W7XF
02-21-2010, 12:10 AM
There is a difference between celebrity and infamy.

Both get you into the newspaper (radio, TV, video, YouTube, etc.). One is a touch more desireable than the other. Although sometimes I think some don't get which is which...
Newspaper, TV or broadcast radio, good.
YouTube..... uhhhhhhhh.... :stirpot:

ka8ncr
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
The guy was derided pretty heavily on QRZ, but you can't dispute he knows a little sumptin' about RF amplifiers.