PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood TS-940S

N8YX
02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I managed to snag a couple of these over the weekend:

http://www.radioamateur.it/public/annunci/vendo/Djl15-083517-08-2009KenwoodTS-940Ssmall.jpg

One is fully functional and has a few accessories fitted. The other... has a row of dots in the frequency display; accessory complement unknown 'til I go get it. May or may not be an easy fix but for what I paid for the thing I'm not complaining.

The only thing the '940 lacks is a sub-receiver - but there may be a fix:

The rear of the transceiver allows for the connection of an auxiliary receiver (antenna, mute) and I'm thinking about slaving an R-5000 to each 940 - assuming that I can get both of them up and running. Even better would be the construction of an interface which connects to each of the rigs' serial ports and permits one radio's active VFO to track or to control the other radio's.

Perhaps HRD, N1MM or other ham-oriented rig-control packages directly support master/slave operation. I know that my copy of ScanCAT does. :chin:

Who else on here owns or has owned a '940? Likes/dislikes? Yes, I'm planning to "fail-safe" the 28v AVR and cooling sections of the rig...

KU0DM
02-17-2010, 03:04 PM
We've got one up at K0KU sharing our second HF station position with a 746. Let me know if you have any sweet mods, sure the EEs up there would love to open it up.

AF6LJ
02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Cool!
A sub-receiver would be nice. The set up used in the 756 is lacking in that department. While the IC-756 has dual receive the way it's implemented is in my opinion Mickey Mouse

N8YX
02-17-2010, 03:47 PM
I managed to snag all of the Kenwood CAT protocol data needed to program this little device and turn it, the '940 and a '5000 into a TS-950SD emulator:

http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Images/Prod/B/BS2PX-IC-M.jpg

The '950 has a sub-receiver "On-Off" command that's part of the protocol, and isn't present in the '940's command set (natch). Thus, I'll need to intercept the incoming serial commands with the Stamp then format and direct them accordingly.

If I can get this contraption working I'll post a construction article along with the source code.