PDA

View Full Version : MS Drops One of it's Windows Updates-PC Dead Issues

N2NH
02-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Microsoft has removed one group of patches it released as part of this week’s Patch Tuesday — MS10-015 (KB977165) – from its Windows Update service until it can investigate reports by some users that it is causing havoc with their PCs.

Microsoft provided an update on the Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) blog on February 11 about its actions, after a day of reports by users with problems, including some XP users claiming blue-screen-of-death (BSOD) issues seemingly resulting from application of the KB977165 patch.

Microsoft claimed the number of users experiencing problems as a result of the path were “limited.” More from the blog post by Jerry Bryant, Senior Security Communications Manager Lead:

[quote:3sfx0b3h]“(W)e have not confirmed that the issue is specific to MS10-015 or if it is an interoperability problem with another component or third-party software. Our teams are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. We also stopped offering this update through Windows Update as soon as we discovered the restart issues. However, those using enterprise deployment systems such as SMS or WSUS will still see and be able to deploy these packages.”

Microsoft is advising customers to apply the other patches it released this week, as there have been no reported problems with them, according to Bryant.[/quote:3sfx0b3h]

Too late for me. I get my updates the same day they're released. So far no noticeable issues...

MORE From ZD NET (http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5250&tag=content;wrapper)

KC2UGV
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Hm, I don't see that update when I do an "apt-get update ; apt-get -y upgrade"

:stirpot:

N2NH
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Oh I got it alright:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB977165)

A security issue has been identified that could allow an authenticated local attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

How to Uninstall
This software update can be removed via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Get help and support
http://support.microsoft.com

I think if your computer is not affected by a virus or bot when you install the update, there's no problem. I did a virus scan just prior to the install and nothing so far.

ad4mg
02-12-2010, 01:09 PM

That's because you have applied the ultimate Winders security patch ... :agree:

My default Evolution mailer signature:
[attachment=0:3od3egqg]Ubuntu_MSF1.jpg[/attachment:3od3egqg]

WØTKX
02-12-2010, 01:29 PM
At least I know there might be a problem... thanks.

Don't hate me 'cause I use Winders... :geek:

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/8/13/633857663582539610-redneckcomputing.jpg

W2NAP
02-12-2010, 03:43 PM

hey nether did I :rock: