PDA

View Full Version : Which Foot Warmer?

W9PSK
02-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Well, now that I have pretty much figured out what I am going to do for an antenna, tuner, started learning code, am about to pass the general exam, etc., I have started thinking that maybe it would be nice to get an old tube rig. I have an IC 735 that I will be using as my main rig until I decide on which "must have, main radio for several years" I will choose in a couple of years once I getter a better feel for HF. In the meantime, getting a foot warmer seems like it would be a fun adventure. I have no idea how much those old rigs sell for, but I would think that I could buy one for less than $500, correct? What would you guys suggest? I've read that the FT 101 can be bought at a reasonable price. Gimme your suggestions.

N4VGB
02-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Are you confusing the FT101 transceiver with the FL2100 amp?

W9PSK
02-03-2010, 11:23 PM

No. Why would I confuse a Yaesu FT 101 with an amplifier? I'm not looking for an amplifier. I am looking for a ham radio. I just call them foot warmers because they have tubes in them. You know, the whole glow in the dark, keep your shack nice and toasty thing.

N4VGB
02-04-2010, 01:41 AM

No. Why would I confuse a Yaesu FT 101 with an amplifier? I'm not looking for an amplifier. I am looking for a ham radio. I just call them foot warmers because they have tubes in them. You know, the whole glow in the dark, keep your shack nice and toasty thing.

OK, "foot warmer" is very old CB slang for an amp. I'm not really into the hybrids as being "glow in the dark" pieces or vintage/boat anchor enough to suit me. I've never owned an FT101, the only thing I've got in that vintage hybrid gear is a Kenwood TS820S.

Lots of good old all tube gear at 'fests for sale but finding something that's actually working 100% is questionable and if it is 100% the price is likely to be rather high these days.

FT101s of varying condition are common at 'fests around here for $100-$300. I'm sure they're around at the 'fests in your area also.

W9PSK
02-04-2010, 08:54 AM

OK, "foot warmer" is very old CB slang for an amp. I'm not really into the hybrids as being "glow in the dark" pieces or vintage/boat anchor enough to suit me. I've never owned an FT101, the only thing I've got in that vintage hybrid gear is a Kenwood TS820S.

Lots of good old all tube gear at 'fests for sale but finding something that's actually working 100% is questionable and if it is 100% the price is likely to be rather high these days.

FT101s of varying condition are common at 'fests around here for $100-$300. I'm sure they're around at the 'fests in your area also.

There's only one hamfest around here, and it isn't anything to write home about. I've had fun both times I've gone, but I can't honestly say I remember any tables with tube type equipment for sale. I saw a Gonset AM and CW HF rig on Ebay last night. I've always thought it would be neat to have one of their old Civil Defense radios. Remember those? They were yellow. I have seen some really nice ones on Ebay.

N4VGB
02-04-2010, 06:40 PM
There's only one hamfest around here, and it isn't anything to write home about. I've had fun both times I've gone, but I can't honestly say I remember any tables with tube type equipment for sale. I saw a Gonset AM and CW HF rig on Ebay last night. I've always thought it would be neat to have one of their old Civil Defense radios. Remember those? They were yellow. I have seen some really nice ones on Ebay.

The only Gonset I have is the GSB-100. Nice xmitter and fairly easy to work on. eBay is a perilous place to purchase tube type radio gear, but honestly I've only had a few bad deals there. I've been skinned alive at hamfests just as often as on eBay.

The older model tube gear is AM/CW only, then there is some stuff like the Central Electronics 10 & 20 models, Hallicrafters HT-37, Gonset GSB-100, etc. that do AM/SSB/CW and even PM/FM with some. The Gonset CD radios were 2M & 6M only models as I recall.

N8YX
02-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Get one or the other of the following:

http://ftp.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft901dm/FT-901DM.jpg

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/hamhf/ts830s.jpg

I've owned both, and currently have a couple FT-901s plus a TS-820S/R-820 'pair' on my operating desk. The TS-820S' receiver section doesn't have all the interference-fighting controls that the '830 does, but if you slave the companion receiver to it the point becomes moot.

If you're after just one vintage Kenwood, the '830 gets my vote.

N4VGB
02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
If you're after just one vintage Kenwood, the '830 gets my vote.

Amazingly good rcvr, still ranks high on the Sherwood Engineering rcvr test data chart: http://www.sherweng.com/table.html . An amazing accomplishment for such an old model solid state rig.

The 830 isn't to be found for a reasonable price around here.

WØTKX
02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
My favorite oldie but goodie on the Sherwood list (but no tubes)...

Ten Tec Omni D (Series B or C) (http://www.tentecwiki.org/lib/exe/detail.php?id=transceivers&media=546c.jpg)

A nice one can be had for $250-300, I have two of them, and they still blow me away.

http://www.tentecwiki.org/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&w=794&h=381&media=546c.jpg

w2amr
04-07-2010, 03:04 PM

I agree with Mack, You gotta talk Valiant, DX-100, Viking II, Etc. That glow in the dark thing just doesn't apply to an FT-101.

w2amr
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM

I think they were VHF only. One model was 6 meters the other 2. I have the two meter version around here somewhere. Yellow with the CD sticker . Ugly little bugger.

N9FE
04-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Keep looking at QTH.COM After Dayton there will many to choose from..

K7SGJ
04-08-2010, 10:26 AM
The Kenwood hybrids were and still are good radios. As has been mentioned, the TS 830 is a very good rig. The TS 530 is a little less money, but still has a great receiver and great sounding audio. I still use one. Be prepared, radios this old will require some maintainence; some more than others. One thing I've noticed, the Yaesu FT series are more likely to have many more modifications (mostly 11 meter) than the Kenwoods. Many more hatchett and golden screwdriver jobs than the Kenwoods, as well. If your not willing to spend a little money and time on an Ebay or other pig-in-the-poke buy, try to find one you can try first, or buy one used from a dealer. Universal and a few others take them in trade and check them out prior to resale. The up side is there is usually some kind of guarantee, the down side is you will pay a little more.

N8YX
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Our Bartender just got himself hooked up with a nice FT-901 outfit. I know of a similar '902 setup which is currently up for sale; if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll pass along the gent's contact info.

KG4CGC
04-08-2010, 12:21 PM
That FT-901 is a hellavu radio! I've tossed boat anchors out at the lake that were not nearly as heavy. 50 pounds easy? Feels like more due to the size to weight ratio.
Speaker, VFO, transverter (2m), tuner ... added the Autek QF-1A to knock out the static crashes. Listened to a 2m QSO and was amazed at the beautiful audio.
I still have a lot to learn about this beautiful beast.
The other thing that was new and interesting, everything plugs straight into the wall.
:bbh:

N8YX
04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
The other thing that was new and interesting, everything plugs straight into the wall.
Get yourself a 500-650VA UPS and use it as a line conditioner. Keeps the power nasties OUT of the radio.

BTW - both VFO and transceiver can be powered from 12V if desired.

KG4CGC
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Get yourself a 500-650VA UPS and use it as a line conditioner. Keeps the power nasties OUT of the radio.

BTW - both VFO and transceiver can be powered from 12V if desired.
Good advice!

n2ize
04-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Get yourself the Civil defense version of the old Viking 2, if you can find one. Full coverage from from 1.7-1.8 - 30 mc. True "glow in the dark" radios are things like the Vikings, Valiant's DX100''s Apache, Globe King 500 Viking 500 and on up to older broadcast equipment.

The FT101 was a great radio. With a few minor mods it was capable of beautiful audio with great frequency response Quite a few AM'ers liked it for that reason. However, I am thinking back to the 1980's and the FT101 itself dates back to the early 1970's. It may be tricky finding one in good working order. Most likely if you pick up a radio that old you can expect to spend some time with the covers off working inside. But when you get everything working fine it's both a great radio and a rewarding experience.