PDA

View Full Version : Internet Security 2010

AA8AE
01-27-2010, 10:28 PM
Did anybody get bitten by the Internet Security 2010 bug?

I thought my Antivir and SpyBot were good enough to protect my computer, boy did I get a surprise. :wall:

I ended up having to reformat my hard drive. :spin: The system restore wouldn't even work with everything else I tried. Up and running again though. Different antivirus though.

ad4mg
01-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Did anybody get bitten by the Internet Security 2010 bug?

I thought my Antivir and SpyBot were good enough to protect my computer, boy did I get a surprise. :wall:

I ended up having to reformat my hard drive. :spin: The system restore wouldn't even work with everything else I tried. Up and running again though. Different antivirus though.
Dang ... yeah, I've fixed several machines infected with this crap. Took a combination of Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D, both run with Windows started in safe mode, to clean them up. The system restore is useless in this type of situation, actually anytime there is an infection. The very 1st thing I do before starting the scanning is to disable system restore, thereby removing all previous restore points. Many viruses and trojans hide copies of themselves in the restore files, and just pop right back after hours of scanning. I only turn the system restore back on after I know the machine is totally clean.

Spybot S&D will only protect you if you run the resident "Tea Timer" program, which prevents changes to the registry files. Without the Tea Timer running, it only blocks a few thousand domains in your browser's blacklist. hardly very effective. The bad thing is that the Tea Timer utility is annoying when installing programs, which always require registry changes.

For free anti-virus, AVG seems to be leading the pack, but I'm using Avast! on my few remaining Windoze installations, which has served me well for years. The new free version of AVG is pretty impressive with the browser add-ons and stuff.

kc7jty
01-27-2010, 11:10 PM
how/from where did it hit you?

AA8AE
01-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Could have been one of two places. My wife downloaded limewire to put songs on my granddaughters new mp3 player or she was on a baby shower cake decorating site when she first noticed it. Don't know which but they're both gone now.

n2ize
01-28-2010, 12:44 PM
No problem here but then again we're not Windows based here.

KC2UGV
01-28-2010, 12:49 PM
No problems here. Ubuntu + ClamAV, nothing's been hit so far.

ClamAV has picked up quite a few Windows Malware bits in emails.

kc7jty
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I have the security setting on Windows 7 that asks permission every time something wants to make changes to the machine.

w3bny
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Could have been one of two places. My wife downloaded limewire to put songs on my granddaughters new mp3 player or she was on a baby shower cake decorating site when she first noticed it. Don't know which but they're both gone now.

[youtube:151re8hx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th6PW5VwDFI[/youtube:151re8hx]
LOL LIMEWIRE LOL

KJ3N
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
My wife downloaded limewire to put songs on my granddaughters new mp3 player.......
That's a bad idea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire#Criticism). :disagree:

See second paragraph.

kb2vxa
01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
OOOoooh Slimewire! Like all those P2P file sharing networks you're downloading from questionable sources and can connect to anybody's infected computer. If you MUST use them it's wise to save all downloads to a temp file and scan them thoroughly before opening them. The very first scan should be done with your eyes, examine the FULL file name (often annotated) and if you see .exe tagged on the end delete it immediately. Beware of .zip and .rar files, be sure to scan them with an AV capable of scanning inside compressed files as they can contain bombs that explode when decompressed.

Of course it's best to avoid the P2P networks and download music from a subscription service (it's cheap enough) or a premium newsgroup but with the latter still tread with caution. I've come across a few infected files and a .rar bomb that thankfully was caught before the file was decompressed.

WV6Z
01-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware removed it from one of my machines..... good product and took about 2 hours or less to be back up and running full steam ahead. Go here, do this..... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-r ... urity-2010 (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-internet-security-2010) .... no Safe Mode start up and etc needed....