PDA

View Full Version : I think I am getting THE FEVER!!!

W9PSK
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
in a good way. I don't know how many of you have been following my posts on the ZED, but I finally decided to take the CW plunge. I got everything together today to hook up a straight key to my IC-735 and did a little on air practice on 10 meters. So far, I know E, I, S, H, T, 5, and KC9MUK. I only practiced on the air for a few minutes. The rest has been off the air. I think I am catching the fever!!!!

KC2UGV
01-26-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't know if you know about this resource:
http://lcwo.net/

It's where I'm working on my CW...

ad4mg
01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
in a good way. I don't know how many of you have been following my posts on the ZED, but I finally decided to take the CW plunge. I got everything together today to hook up a straight key to my IC-735 and did a little on air practice on 10 meters. So far, I know E, I, S, H, T, 5, and KC9MUK. I only practiced on the air for a few minutes. The rest has been off the air. I think I am catching the fever!!!!
CW is a lot of fun! I despised having to learn it to get my license, but after I did finally learn it, I really started to enjoy CW.

Copying on the air QSO's is absolutely the best way to get a handle on it. I used to spin the dial in the old novice part of 40 and 80 looking for slow speed QSO's I could practice copying.

The absolute best group for CW enthusiasts is the SKCC bunch, and although I have one of the lowest member numbers (007), I haven't been active in quite a while. I'd probably draw one hell of a pileup with that number having been rarely heard! Everyone uses either a straight key, or a "bug", both of which play very well at slower speeds - perfect for anyone learning the code.

The site is the brainchild of Tom, KC9ECI, and it took off beyond anyone's wildest expectations! Their home page: http://www.skccgroup.com/

When you're ready, Jim, let me know, and we'll make a sked on 30, 40, or 80 meters!

W2NAP
01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
dont forget 2 meter CW, that can be alot of fun.

one of these days b4 i died ill get back on the air. but who knows by then they may not even use SSB

W9PSK
01-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't know if you know about this resource:
http://lcwo.net/

It's where I'm working on my CW...

Thanks. I will check it out.

W9PSK
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
CW is a lot of fun! I despised having to learn it to get my license, but after I did finally learn it, I really started to enjoy CW.

Copying on the air QSO's is absolutely the best way to get a handle on it. I used to spin the dial in the old novice part of 40 and 80 looking for slow speed QSO's I could practice copying.

The absolute best group for CW enthusiasts is the SKCC bunch, and although I have one of the lowest member numbers (007), I haven't been active in quite a while. I'd probably draw one hell of a pileup with that number having been rarely heard! Everyone uses either a straight key, or a "bug", both of which play very well at slower speeds - perfect for anyone learning the code.

The site is the brainchild of Tom, KC9ECI, and it took off beyond anyone's wildest expectations! Their home page: http://www.skccgroup.com/

When you're ready, Jim, let me know, and we'll make a sked on 30, 40, or 80 meters!

The SKCC people are great! I haven't arranged any training sessions with one of the elmers yet, but I am definitely planning on it as soon as I pass my General exam. I tried listening on the 40m freq they use earlier today but didn't hear anything. I plan on using that as a resource to practice copying and the files the ARRL makes available. I've been using the G4FON program, but it hasn't gone well. It may be a mental block or something, but I just can't focus on listening while that program is running. I think listening to actual QSOs in progress would better capture my attention.

W9PSK
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM

one of these days b4 i died ill get back on the air. but who knows by then they may not even use SSB

No time like the present! Fire your radio up and git ta hammerin away! :)

W2NAP
01-26-2010, 06:28 PM

No time like the present! Fire your radio up and git ta hammerin away! :)

see thats the problem.. no radio

N8YX
01-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Get yourself a straight key, code-practice oscillator and a sound-card-based CW decoding program for your computer.

Hook the output of the oscillator into the sound card's input, fire up the key and practice sending.

Watch your progress on the monitor.

If you don't get the character spacing exactly right, the character elements are going to look like a bunch of random "ees" and "tees" scattered across the screen.

This is a good technique to use when developing timing with a hand pump, and you'll also find that it will help you copy better when on-air.

rot
01-28-2010, 07:28 PM
So far, I know E, I, S, H, T, 5, and KC9MUK.
You go man.
cw is a hoot.
My best send is dah dah dit dit dah dah.
They'll hang with ya.
Enjoy and have fun!
rot

N7YA
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Jim, i only use CW...very rarely use this mic. But if you want to work on your CW, i can give you NV on 40 - 30 - 20 - 17 easily...the rest might by tricky since im not a big gun and my Vee only works well on those bands.

Any speed you like...i can even give you a new SKCC number towards your Century award if you've already joined. Im #410...let me know.

By the way, congrats on "the fever", it hit me when i was a kid and never left. :agree:

KC9ECI
02-23-2010, 04:37 PM
The absolute best group for CW enthusiasts is the SKCC bunch, and although I have one of the lowest member numbers (007), I haven't been active in quite a while. I'd probably draw one hell of a pileup with that number having been rarely heard!

Thanks for the nice words! Not sure about the whole pileup thing, but I know that during the sprints after I send the exchange I more often than not get AGN NR? Now I normally send NR 1 NR O N E. That's really fun when I'm working a guy with a number in the 5000's.

kf0rt
02-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I still get a big smile every time I see the SKCC logo. :)

SKCC is probably the coolest thing to come out of the "fun days" on the Zed. Nice to see you here, Tom -- how you been?

KC9ECI
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Just peachy. Just sort of riding out the long cold winter months now waiting for the camping/canoeing season to start.

N9FE
02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Just peachy. Just sort of riding out the long cold winter months now waiting for the camping/canoeing season to start. Tom i'll be going to the farm for the qso party.. We'll maybe hook up and tag team on 75 .. hey.

KC9ECI
02-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Just peachy. Just sort of riding out the long cold winter months now waiting for the camping/canoeing season to start. Tom i'll be going to the farm for the qso party.. We'll maybe hook up and tag team on 75 .. hey.

Works for me. W9UUM and W9IKU and I did that last year with Trempealeau, La Crosse and Brown Counties. It was a lot of fun and a nice way for some of the participants to clear 3 Counties in one shot.

Are you going to catch the W9EAU club auction at the church in Eau Claire in March? As of this moment unless something changes I plan to be there.

N9FE
02-24-2010, 08:35 AM

Works for me. W9UUM and W9IKU and I did that last year with Trempealeau, La Crosse and Brown Counties. It was a lot of fun and a nice way for some of the participants to clear 3 Counties in one shot.

Are you going to catch the W9EAU club auction at the church in Eau Claire in March? As of this moment unless something changes I plan to be there.
I moved way over by medford last spring. So for me to do the party and the auction."same weekend" would be just about impossible. We'll see though.