PDA

View Full Version : netbooks: they all look the same!

n6hcm
12-30-2009, 04:20 AM
they all have the same 10.1" screens, and most have the same processor and memory profiles ...

also, annoyingly, getting a 12" screen seems to mean buying a full-fledged laptop. :-|

n0iu
12-30-2009, 08:10 AM
I feel you pain! I am still trying to figure out what all the hubub is about with these things. My take on it is that they are meant to fill the gap between the capabilities of a smart phone-type device (without the phone of course... for now!) and a full size laptop.

My work provides us with a BlackBerry. It really is amazing what you can do with these things, but I am 52 and wear "cheaters" for reading and close up work. Yeah, I have become pretty adept at using that microscopic keyboard, but I only use it when I absolutely have to. But even with the advances in technology with things like the iPhone and Droid, they are really just glorified communications devices with an emphasis on portability.

At home, we have two desktops (one for me and one for my wife - so we don't get our iTunes libraries mixes up!) and a 14" laptop. This is our first laptop and we got the weekend after Thanksgiving. When we were shopping around, we both felt that this was about as small as we wanted to go in terms of screen size and keyboard size. As far as computing capabilities, it comes close enough to our desktops for our purposes. OTOH, while it is a pretty small as laptops go, by the time you put it in the bag with the power supply and wireless mouse, it is not exactly the most portable thing around.

So now enter the netbook. You need to be "connected" to get email and for surfing. The smart phones are too small and a laptop is too big. It is something you can carry in briefcase (do guys even carry a briefcase any more?), a backpack or in my wife's case, that bottomless pit she calls a purse. Throw in a USB broadband device and you are good to go. I also read that McDonalds will be offering their WiFi service for free some time in the near future, so if you are cheap like me, you can get your Internet that way.

Personally, a full size monitor and keyboard attached to a "real computer" is my preference because it is easier on my eyes and fingers. But hey, that's just me!

[/rant]off

KG4CGC
12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
http://www.i-glassesstore.com/iglasses-pc-hr.html A bit bulky.

http://www.4hiddenspycameras.com/eyeglmo.html A bit less bulky.

n0iu
12-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Nice try, but....

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/glasses1.jpg

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/glasses2.jpg

KG4CGC
12-30-2009, 06:07 PM
You're a ham. You mean to say that you DON'T have unlimited $$$? Icom is betting that you have more money than sense. LOL! Yaesu too!

n0iu
12-30-2009, 07:33 PM
You're a ham. You mean to say that you DON'T have unlimited $$$?
Ahem! I'm an amateur radio operator who just became a grandfather for the 8th time just before Thanksgiving so unless my lottery tickets hit tonight, that IC-7800 will just have to wait!

KG4CGC
12-30-2009, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't invest in it even if you did. At least not until the rumors clear up about Icom.

n0iu
12-30-2009, 08:46 PM
The Powerball is $20 million. If I take the lump sum, they will take out the taxes which are about 50% so that would leave me with only $10 million. After I do win the $10 million, I don't think I will worry about spending a measly $10 thousand on a radio!

KG4CGC
12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
The Powerball is $20 million. If I take the lump sum, they will take out the taxes which are about 50% so that would leave me with only $10 million. After I do win the $10 million, I don't think I will worry about spending a measly $10 thousand on a radio!
What's your system?

n0iu
12-30-2009, 09:07 PM
The odds of winning the lottery are somethng like 13,000,000:1. So if I buy one of every combination, I am guaranteed to win! The only flaw in this plan is if I would have to split the winnings with some other lucky bastard out there! The other flaw is finding someone to bankroll this plan of mine. No luck so far. :(

This reminds me of the joke: This man comes home and tells his wife, "Honey, I just won the lottery, pack your bags!"

"Where are we going?" she asks.

To which he replies, "We aren't going anywhere!"

KJ3N
12-31-2009, 12:23 PM
This reminds me of the joke: This man comes home and tells his wife, "Honey, I just won the lottery, pack your bags!"

"Where are we going?" she asks.

To which he replies, "We aren't going anywhere!"
Yeah, but half of his winnings are. ;) :rofl:

n0iu
12-31-2009, 02:20 PM
So after the guys wins the lottery, he takes his winnings and buys a lamp at the antique shoppe. As he is polishing the lamp, lo and behold, a genie pops out! Of course its a female genie and she tells the man he will get three wishes but his ex-wife will get DOUBLE what he asks for.

For his first wish, the man asks for a 50,000 square foot mansion on the Riviera. He gets his house but right next door to his house is his ex-wife's 100,000 square foot mansion.

Next he asks for $500 million dollars tax free in a Swiss bank account. Of course his ex-wife gets $1 billion dollars in her Swiss bank account.

And for his last wish, the man tells the genie, "Beat me half to death!"