PDA

View Full Version : Any Mac Users?

kf0rt
12-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Any Mac users on here?

Just finished setting up a new Mac Mini -- It's my 2nd one (the 1st will be on eBay soon -- G4 based and I really want to dabble in iPhone apps which requires Intel). "Oh, don't get me anything for Christmas, darlin' - you know I like buying my own underwear." :snicker: :yes:

Got a couple IOgear DVI KVM switches and have both machines (Mac and PC) running on the same pair of monitors, both computers in dual-monitor mode - Kewl.

Haven't spent much time in the Mac world yet, but it doesn't seem too difficult. This also frees up a nice (barely used) Wintel box for Ubuntu. It's going to take some rearranging to be able to keep any radio gear within arms reach.

KG4CGC
12-26-2009, 05:21 PM
When did you suddenly become, Mac curious?

KC2UGV
12-26-2009, 05:41 PM
I actually started using one again. I was gifted a PowerMac G4, and am liking it again.

kf0rt
12-26-2009, 06:18 PM
When did you suddenly become, Mac curious?

Long story, and I get your jist, Charles. :lol:

Mostly, it's about having bought an iPod Touch some months ago and realizing how pervasive this technology is. This, after surviving the biggest layoff of my career (I write software for a living, sorta...) has me thinking it's time to update the old skills a bit. That's the rationalization.

I say "sorta" because for the last 7 years or so, I've had a pretty "good" job programming stuff that should have been relegated to the garbage bin 20 years ago. Seriously, up until the layoff 6 months ago, I was paid (pretty well!) to write software in 80x86 assembly on an embedded platform (on a software architecture I designed a long time ago). Can't last much longer, and I've done bloatware programming for Windoze before... 20 Meg executables, multi-lingual hassles, you name it. Programming big Windoze apps SUCKS. For me, at least.

Still like the computer stuff, but if I don't find a way to make it fun again, I'll wind up selling light bulbs at Home Depot. The iPhone/Touch is a really compelling embedded device with some amazing capabilities. Apple has put together a really amazing way to market it, too. My very first computer was an Apple ][ back in 1978. Cut my programming teeth on that machine, so to speak.

But mostly, it's about seeing if I can figure out a path to retirement that doesn't involve eating a lot of Ramen noodles, and realizing all too well that I've spent too much time out of the mainstream of technology.

KG4CGC
12-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, at least you're comfortable coming out to us here on The Island.

I need to make some updates myself. Technology is a fickle mistress.

kf0rt
12-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Well, at least you're comfortable coming out to us here on The Island.

I need to make some updates myself. Technology is a fickle mistress.

You said it, brother.

I've avoided Linux until just recently; got Ubuntu One running on a netbook. Ultimately, all the excuses are now gone (have the toys), so we shall see.

Been a corporate whore since I was old enough to work and there are some other options, too. Daughter and I have dabbled a bit in wedding photography -- we could make a killer team, but it involves dealing with [well, assholes]. Never know, but I'm starting to open up to stuff that doesn't involve the corporate plan.

KG4CGC
12-26-2009, 07:31 PM
LOL! Yes, assholes.
Could be worse. You could be the one digging the Space Rocks™ out of the assholes.

kf0rt
12-26-2009, 08:44 PM
LOL! Yes, assholes.
Could be worse. You could be the one digging the Space Rocks™ out of the assholes.

Man, weddings are bizarre. Done about a half dozen here in the last few years (all for relatives or friends). Last two were for my nieces; contract was to have my daughter shoot primary with me as backup. They're all charged with bullshit and emotion and the guy who can keep his cool wins. It's hilarious, but you have to take it all very seriously.

Becky and I will shoot nearly 2,000 frames in 6-8 hours using Nikon DSLR's. She does all the post-production editing and photo selection; puts together a CD and I finalize it all -- make it "perfect". She has the "artistic" eye and I have the "critical" eye. What that means is that she could learn my job a lot easier than I could learn hers. It's an industry that I think we could do, but I 've never dealt well with emotionally charged events like weddings. Still, the wedding photographer is an "in-charge" job at most weddings. I was shocked the first time a DJ gave me the "heads up" on what was coming up next.

Wild stuff, and we've talked about business plans. I really want to start a photo company and call it "Creepy Uncle Photography." If you can book a wedding with that name, well....

http://www.westton.com/misc/wedding.jpg

(C)opyright 2009... :)

ka8ncr
12-27-2009, 02:18 PM
If you have not already, search for Evan Doll and Stanford; that's the free 10 week course on Objective-C and iPhone programming.

Very good introduction.

kf0rt
12-31-2009, 04:16 PM
If you have not already, search for Evan Doll and Stanford; that's the free 10 week course on Objective-C and iPhone programming.

Very good introduction.

Got it downloaded and watched the first session - thanks!

This is looking like it might be a long road (lots to learn!) -- good thing I'm in no hurry. Gotta say though, OS X is feeling pretty "primitive" after years and years in the MS camp. Safari reminds me of IE 2.0 or something. No tabs??? Guess most of this is like a new grocery store, though -- just need to find what aisles everything is on.

KG4CGC
12-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Weddings a can go beyond bizarre if the bride is a "Bridezilla" and her mother is her coach.
I've done one church wedding, one bed and breakfest wedding and one outdoor home wedding. I should really get my suit dry cleaned this year. OH! Looks like I'm running out of time for that!

n6hcm
01-01-2010, 02:38 AM
Safari reminds me of IE 2.0 or something. No tabs???

i don't like safari but it has tabs ... command-T will open a new tab in an existing window, and you can set your preferences so that tabs are opened instead of windows.