PDA

View Full Version : Linux and sound card

W9PSK
12-23-2009, 06:13 PM
I tell ya, this Ubuntu thing can be very frustrating. I've got sound if I play a DVD. I got all that taken care of already. However, no matter what program I install for ham radio stuff, the sound card magically goes deaf.

n2ize
12-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Sound issues can be very frustrating under Linux. They also can be quite confusing to understand. I hold an advanced degree in Mathematics and a degree in Chemistry yet I often find myself scratching my head when it comes to figuring out sound in Linux.

Although sound functions a lot better under today's versions of Linux it still has some serious issues. One annoying problems is where an application will grab the sound card and other applications will be blocked from using it (although this problem was fixed until a few "upgrades" ago).. Did you check to make sure that any other sound application (i.e. CD player, DVD player, etc.) is closed before running the ham radio programs ?

Perhaps you can give us more details. What kind of computer and sound card is it ? What programs are you trying to run ?