PDA

View Full Version : Snowed in in PA

N7YA
12-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi all, this is my road report. Im in Carlisle, PA right now...big winter storm passing through, should get about a foot of snow. Being from the desert, this is cool as hell!

I hope all of you are enjoying your holiday season, i will be back in Vegas by monday (i think), and back to my usual shenanigans. Will be flying up to Seattle for New Years for a few days, then im home again. Will be back in PA again in a couple of months with my girlfriend.

Im just enjoying time with family and enjoying the colonial experience....because thats how i roll!

W3WN
12-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi all, this is my road report. Im in Carlisle, PA right now...big winter storm passing through, should get about a foot of snow. Being from the desert, this is cool as hell!

I hope all of you are enjoying your holiday season, i will be back in Vegas by monday (i think), and back to my usual shenanigans. Will be flying up to Seattle for New Years for a few days, then im home again. Will be back in PA again in a couple of months with my girlfriend.

Im just enjoying time with family and enjoying the colonial experience....because thats how i roll!
Carlisle? So close, and yet so far.

The prediction for Pittsburgh was 1 to 3 inches. As of 11 AM, the ruler on the deck showed 5 inches and still falling. Little Miss Field Day is disappointed, we were supposed to go to a Pirates' Season Ticket Holders event at PNC Park, but it's just not worth the risk.

N7YA
12-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Yep, still coming down pretty hard here, were probably at about 6" now. I havent been in a good snowfall in a long time so i may go outside and take some pics and put them up on facebook.

W2NAP
12-19-2009, 12:19 PM
got snow in indiana to.

thinking were up to about 2 to 3 inches... havent measured it, but enough i had to clear the walkways off

N2NH
12-19-2009, 12:46 PM
It hasn't started here yet. We're supposed to get between 8" and 18" depending on where you live in the City. Right here it's 8" to 14", of course, Kennedy Airport is going to get dumped on and Long Island is forecast to get blizzard conditions...

KJ3N
12-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Looking close to blizzard here as I look out the front door at work.

kb2vxa
12-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Genuine blizzard conditions here, rather unusual right at the ocean. I'm getting conflicting reports from around the state, as little as 6" to as much as 15" as of 6:00pm and it ain't over 'till Wil Smith lights that cigar.

N2NH
12-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Blizzard conditions here on the coast. Winds are audibly ripping in the skies above. There was 7" here at 11PM. 14" across the Lower Bay from us. We still have to go through 6 more hours of heavy snowfall here before it starts to lighten up. Should be over at 9 or 10 AM. Dead quiet here right now. VERY unusual for a Saturday night, but everyone is home.

This explains why so many people are born in August here. Ought to see a spike in birthrates in 9 months...

W2NAP
12-20-2009, 01:22 AM
3 inches here thats it.

KG4CGC
12-20-2009, 01:25 AM
Yeah, we got nothing.
http://www.wunderground.com/US/SC/Easley.html

PA5COR
12-20-2009, 04:29 AM
Full bown blizzard here, we already had 12" snow, add annother 6" , 50 mile per hour wind and snowdrifts reaching 40" making travelling impossible, even with my snowchains i was stuck... :snicker:

Back in the house, hot coffee, and watching the weather from behind double glazing :mrgreen:

N8YX
12-20-2009, 08:53 AM
We got just enough "first snow of the year" to encourage the performance of interesting road stunts by the area's doofii ... :roll:

W3WN
12-20-2009, 11:42 AM
We got just enough "first snow of the year" to encourage the performance of interesting road stunts by the area's doofii ... :roll:
Final tally this morning before I started clearing the back deck: 7 inches.

Now the sun is shining, the chainsaws are buzzing, the snow shovels are scrapping, and all is well.

Even worked S58N on 17 phone this morning, one closer (#98) to DXCC on the band!

kb2vxa
12-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Wil lit his cigar and looked out the window this morning, he saw people shoveling walkways up to their knees in it. Er, welcome to Earth? Here's what the boardwalk looks like and yes, there are people on the beach!

KJ3N
12-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Final tally this morning before I started clearing the back deck: 7 inches.
Final tally here was about 15 inches. I cleared at least 12 inches from the driveway when I got home from work last night, and then another couple of inches awaiting me this morning.

Also found out that the battery in the Pathfinder was on it's last legs. Got that replaced this afternoon.

N7YA
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Holy crap! That was an ordeal!

I finally got home after quite a trip. My luggage still hasnt arrived at my house yet. We were scheduled to leave Harrisburg at 630 EST, change in Chicago for an hour, then be home by 1035 PST last night...didnt work out that way.

We were delayed in H'burg for 4 hours, and they kept pushing us back until the terminal was all but closed for the night...we caught the very last flight out. We were told that if the incoming plane to get us couldnt leave its point of origin then we would be stuck there and they would have to put us up in hotels. After shuffling every passenger around, one by one, to find us each a way home by using 2 to 3 layovers and multiple airlines, they got us all fixed up with a game plan. The little plane made it and we were the last flight out of HIA.

We got into Chicago in the middle of the night to snowfall from an entirely different storm system, but fortunately its Chicago and they are no amateurs when it comes to snow. But we had many hours to kill so we tried to get some sleep, along with a bunch of other stranded passengers from other inbound eastern flights...people strewn everywhere, trying to sleep on airport chairs and floors. And cleaning crews wont stop cleaning just so you can sleep...i bet im not the only one out there needing a chiropractor, bad!

It was weird, ive been going through O' Hare for over 30 years, ive never seen it so empty...only one Starbucks was open, and had a very disinterested and slow moving girl working it who just didnt want to be there. Neither did i. But we had a blast, got to hang out with family. Got to visit Gettysburg...heard some odd sounds coming from the woods and hills around us, we all heard it and couldnt explain it. Wasnt reenactors as it was cold, windy, the off season and the sun was just about below the horizon. Hmm, oh well...chalk it up to "i dont know". Cant wait to go back and visit again in the spring.....and my luggage just arrived at my house and everything inside is intact. Overall, a success!

Well, theres the trip report you didnt ask for...check out the pics...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 1280734464 (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30893421&id=1280734464&saved#/photos.php?id=1280734464)